Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

FireKing

Reginus Maximus
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Game goes F2P and is shortly dropped by their European publisher...yeah this turd is doing awesome!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So I recently finished Chapter 1, and have the Shroud and my free Taxed player Owned Town Row Lot deed. I also have another Row lot home too. In the online game.

The story was mostly meh. But some of it was actually interesting. Some of the battles were like holy shit though. But overall, it was ok. Meeting the actual Oracle was kinda cool.

I also won 7 free COTO coins from entering a fishing contest! :D

Still enjoying it, but have to go now and craft a bunch of stuff and sell it....

Eggs is eggs

Learned
Does it feel like Ultima or just a generic MMO? I played it briefly maybe a year ago during one of the free trials and got bored of it really quickly. I just felt like I was playing a bad World of Warcraft clone.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It does have an Ultima feeling, and the game could best be described as Ultima IV redesigned today. Of course, it has to completely avoid any of the Ultima IP that’s owned by EA. Like there’s Moongates, but they are called The Lunar Rift.

There’s been significant changes from a year ago, like the passes are now open. Every person (even free players) gets a free Taxed Row Lot deed, for finishing the main quest.

I’d say just give it a try again and just see if it appeals to you. Also there’s quite a few active and large Guilds to join as well.

grimace

Arcane

How to Use Computer Gaming as Therapy for Parkinson’s Disease

"The game has a solid ethical foundation built on virtue and clean gameplay (no foul language). Playing SotA for 10 to 20 hours a week exercises the brain and the body — use it or lose it — while having a good time doing it."

https://www.printfriendly.com/p/g/xST64V#
parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2018/11/30/parkinsons-therapy-how-use-computer-gaming-shroud-avatar/
Dr. C November 30, 2018
ComputerGamingGraphic-1400x480.jpg

The brain is a plastic organ continually reshaping itself in response to the stimuli it receives and the way those stimuli are processed. The old adage “use it or lose it” applies even in the face of a challenging disease like Parkinson’s.

Computer gaming can help with brain training by exercising the brain to help moderate the effects of PD. For computer gaming to be efficacious as therapy, it must be implemented with careful attention to finding the right fit between the demands of the game and the therapeutic needs of the PD patient.

Recent research on video gaming and treatment for PD shows it can help with physical issues such as gait and balance.

The key to successfully using computer gaming is to find the right match of game for each person, as well as the appropriate difficulty level. The game must be challenging, but not so challenging that it becomes discouraging. It also must be rewarding and enjoyable. (There is that dopamine factor to consider.) Gaming has a “sweet spot,” like Goldilocks, in which you find just the right fit. I found this balance in the game “Shroud of the Avatar,” which I recommend for people with PD.

Ask questions and share your knowledge of Parkinson’s Disease in our forums.
It took me a while to find the right video game — years, actually. “Shroud of the Avatar,” or “SotA,” is that game! It can be played at various levels. Not only can you find the sweet spot for your own style of playing, but also you can move that spot around depending on whether it is a good day or a bad day.

The game has a solid ethical foundation built on virtue and clean gameplay (no foul language). Playing SotA for 10 to 20 hours a week exercises the brain and the body — use it or lose it — while having a good time doing it.

SotA is just the right game for those with PD. It offers exercise for geographical memory, hand-eye coordination, speech, and problem-solving (scenario looping) at a variety of levels. It is a place where impulsivity can be applied with fewer consequences than in the real world. It is a place where the grouch can go when T.O.O.T.S. needs to be applied.

Have the urge to buy? Then earn virtual money and buy virtual things. Frustrated? Then enter the virtual world and work it out on some monsters. Have pain with your PD (a difficult problem for me)? Spend time in the virtual world of SotA to help manage the pain with less medication. Want a sense of accomplishment? Help build a community while also making yourself a strong avatar.

I have built a “sanctuary” for Parkinson’s folks inside SotA. It is a place where your avatar will find support and fellowship. Within this sanctuary is a place where you can find that sweet spot while contributing to building a support community. You can find this virtual sanctuary inside SotA in a town called Grumridge, just east of the city Aerie. You can see it on the map shown in the cover art of this column.

It may seem counterintuitive to say that fighting skeletons and building a virtual community is relaxing, but this has been my experience. Conversations I have had with others indicate that this experience is common. I often have clarity of mind while playing, and some of the ideas for these columns pop up in the middle of the game. That dopamine effect happens when successful within SotA, and the game offers many ways to experience success. You can’t get much better than having good, clean fun while slowing down the progression of PD!

One more note: I do use adaptive equipment to help me play the game. I have a large trackball on my dominant hand and a keypad with a thumb joystick on my other hand. You can see this illustrated in the cover art. It takes a little while to learn how to use this equipment, but the reward is a greater success rate inside the world of SotA (more dopamine!).

I also have a headset with a microphone. Plenty of opportunities exist to speak with others within the world of SotA, and the community of players is the best I have encountered in the gaming world. As far as I know, this is the first time a virtual support community within a game was developed for people with PD. Oh — and the game is free!

I look forward to seeing you there. My avatar name is Dr. Wiz. Let us build something special together.

PS: Thanks to the all the avatars (especially Ajumma Kim) and the game developers for their help building the Grumridge sanctuary.

Note: Parkinson’s News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Parkinson’s News Today or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to Parkinson’s disease.

Avatar’s Update #309: Release 61 on QA & Dungeon Tour Livestream Today!
DECEMBER 7, 2018
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=101930

Beastro

Arcane
nope, not even close. if you heard what truly happened behind the curtains you knew every day was lucas "hey guys, what if [the most retarded crap you've ever heard]" and people around him "yes, sure, clever boy, but we'll do that later". once you got full control for lucas you got jar jar and midichlorian.

Same with Roddenberry.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Same with Roddenberry.

He did write some stinkers, didn't he. At least The Omega Glory and The Savage Curtain are both rather shitty Star Trek episodes. (How's that for citation thesheeep)

Similarly, I seem to remember that the guy who created Farscape also wrote some of its worst episodes. Chris Carter fucked up the X-Files. Etc...

Codex Year of the Donut
I can't hate on the guy that had a hand in Ultima games and was the first space tourist, but then I read shit like this:

We have also lowered the price for posting in the forums from $5 to only $1

And it reminds me of Tabula Rasa and that Gariott haven't done anything worthy of note since 1999. It's sad that this trainwreck has long crossed the line that makes it rather depressing instead of being mildly entertaining (akin to Scam Citizen and the like).
RPGCodex should charge to be allowed to post here

Eggs is eggs

Learned
It's because people were trolling the forums. A lot of it is deserved though. They promised the moon, raised a ton of money, kept trying to sell people cosmetic crap and the end result is a half baked MMORPG. It seems unlikely the game will survive another year.

Beast British

Novice
I've said it before and I'll say it again, but what the fuck happened to Garriott? Was the original turned into slurry and fed to Gargoyles and what we have is a badly programmed simulacrum? Is this the same guy who wrote the narrative to my childhood? It's just very sad - I can't even bring myself to be angry any more.
This is how I feel. It's all just so disappointing. I look forward to the game's collapse because it's the antithesis of what the original games were to me.

grimace

Arcane
uwirawhbefbahg2xxeds.jpg

Your latest game, Shroud of the Avatar, had a long and sometimes controversial route to launch, including multiple rounds of crowdfunding.
How did you deal with criticism, what lessons did you learn, and what are you proud of from this process?

We are one of the first games to take the crowdfunding route, and so we have learned a great deal along the way. Now that we have launched the game and just shipped the physical boxes in September, we are now also the largest crowd-funded game to have delivered on their original commitments. Of this we are duly proud!

One of the major lessons of the journey has been how to manage expectations for people who join mid-stream. Those that come in at the beginning, start seeing the most primitive game and each month get a much improved game. Backers that come in later, first see a mostly working game, that is not yet fun or polished. Players who come in at the end, see a finished game and like it. It’s the middle group that is the hardest to keep happy.​

Full article:
https://lifehacker.com/im-richard-garriott-aka-lord-british-and-this-is-how-1831177709

lifehacker.com

I'm Richard Garriott, aka Lord British, and This Is How I Work

Nick Douglas

Richard Garriott is a robot. The creator of the Ultima series, including Ultima Online, the first massively multiplayer online game, runs his Austin company Portalarium from his home in New York. He telecommutes via Beam—a Segway-like robot with a video screen that lets him engage more directly with the rest of his team than static videoconferencing. It’s a fitting work style for the man who coined the use of the Sanskrit word avatar to mean a person’s virtual digital representation.

Garriott is a Silicon Valley kind of larger-than-life tech godfather. His former Austin home, Britannia Manor, is basically a castle; it was featured on MTV Cribs and has its own Wikipedia page. He’s been on the International Space Station and is a board member of the X Prize for private space flight. He’s designed a card for Magic: The Gathering. He bought two Soviet space vehicles that are still on the moon, and likes to jokingly claim the land they’ve explored as his. He’s widely known by his Ultima Online character name, Lord British.

We talked to Garriott about his long career (he released his first game in 1979 at the age of 18), including the long and challenging development of his most recent game Shroud of the Avatar, and his advice for people now joining the gaming industry.

Current Gig: Computer game developer, Portalarium
Current mobile device: iPhone X
Current computer: ORIGIN PC
One word that best describes how you work: Present
I am present all day, every day, just as any employee. Sometimes I am just there in the flesh, or more often in my robot body.
First of all, tell us a little about your background and how you got to where you are today.

I am one of the earliest developers of computer games that is still producing games. I created the Ultima series, which set many standards in fantasy gaming, including the word avatar. Ultima Online was the first MMORPG. Today my team and I continue the race to create ever deeper experiences for players. However, while I have lived and my team remains in Austin, 7 years ago I married a New Yorker and we make our family home in NYC. Thus I had great need to solve the long-distance commute problem, which drove me to be an early adopter of telepresence robotics.

Take us through a recent workday.

When I awake in NYC, I am an hour ahead of my Austin staff. This allows me to help get the kids off to school without a rush. I then log into my Beam and teleport to Austin from my home office desk in NYC. I then go about starting my day’s work, while leaving my robot body present in my Austin office, just as I would be if physically present in Austin. This allows me to welcome employees as they arrive, and participate in the natural flow and rhythm of the office.

I attend the morning standup reports (either as a human or robot) daily. When people want to speak with me, they visit me normally, I participate in hallway chatter and even loiter in the kitchen wishing I could share in the snacks when I am a robot.

Hanging out all day IS THE KEY for me, not just logging into a fixed-position video conference call. I am present all day, every day, just as any employee. Sometimes I am just there in the flesh, or more often in my robot body on my Beam.

What apps, gadgets, or tools can’t you live without?

After the customary iPhone, desktops and laptops, unquestionably my most needed tool is my Beam! I am in Austin, Texas as I sit here in NYC writing this for you now! I must be one of the top global users of telepresence robotics on earth. But if more of you try this, you too will learn to love it!

What’s your workspace setup like?

My PC is a powerful gaming system with 3 large monitors, around me is exploration and technology memorabilia, from my still-working Apple ][ to the seat from the Soyuz I rode to space in. The top center of the center screen is reserved for my viewport though the Beam, which is constantly open during my work day.

What’s your best shortcut or life hack?

Travel light! I NEVER check a bag. I am the king of traveling light. Of course, nothing beats traveling virtually. I can “Beam in” even when I am on the road with my iPhone and often do, from remote areas or even inside taxi cabs!
80% of the quality of a game becomes visible in the last 20% of the development process.

Your latest game, Shroud of the Avatar, had a long and sometimes controversial route to launch, including multiple rounds of crowdfunding.
How did you deal with criticism, what lessons did you learn, and what are you proud of from this process?

We are one of the first games to take the crowdfunding route, and so we have learned a great deal along the way. Now that we have launched the game and just shipped the physical boxes in September, we are now also the largest crowd-funded game to have delivered on their original commitments. Of this we are duly proud!

One of the major lessons of the journey has been how to manage expectations for people who join mid-stream. Those that come in at the beginning, start seeing the most primitive game and each month get a much improved game. Backers that come in later, first see a mostly working game, that is not yet fun or polished. Players who come in at the end, see a finished game and like it. It’s the middle group that is the hardest to keep happy.

What do you wish more people knew about the process of creating and running a game?

80% of the quality of a game becomes visible in the last 20% of the development process.

What’s your advice for people trying to “break into” working in the game industry?

Try again and again. Nothing worthwhile is easy. The odds of submitting your résumé to the exact company you want at the time they just happened to need YOU is very low. So apply every month. Keep growing your skills and demos to make a stronger impression each cycle. Take any role they will let you in with, and then conquer the job you really want once you’re inside.
Who are the people who help you get things done, and how do you rely on them?

EVERYONE on my team is a rock star! Starting with Starr Long, the project Executive Producer and Director. But many of us on this team have worked together for decades. We all know each other’s skills (and weaknesses) and can thus rely and prop up each other as needed!

How do you keep track of what you have to do?

I am a slave to my Outlook calendar. If it’s not in my calendar, I will NOT be there. If it is, I will be. Period.

How do you recharge or take a break?

Exploration! Hundreds of countries and areas left to explore, but I have already been to all seven continents, the deep sea by subs, the poles, and outer space!

What’s your favorite side project?

Haunted houses! I still love to make real-world interactive events akin to the virtual games we make.

What are you currently reading, or what do you recommend?

I read for research. It could be historical, philosophical, fantasy or real science. I am currently reading a text on graphene, as I think it may prove to be the “plastics” of the next generation!

What’s a problem you’re still trying to solve?

Urban transport. I am a believer in Personal Rapid Transit, but deploying a civil project at that scale remains daunting to me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
It's because people were trolling the forums. A lot of it is deserved though. They promised the moon, raised a ton of money, kept trying to sell people cosmetic crap and the end result is a half baked MMORPG. It seems unlikely the game will survive another year.

Meanwhile.... the current monthly funding just broke a record.

Now I will have TWO unique fishing areas for my dungeons! :D

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Meanwhile.... the current monthly funding just broke a record.

Now I will have TWO unique fishing areas for my dungeons! :D

Good grief, Jaesun. You must have reached extreme levels of denial to believe this game is going fine.

I will give one point though : the date where servers are pulled offline is absolutely unknown. With a skeleton crew, it could go on easily for three more years or more. But that's besides the point.

It's a dead game. With no new content. With Episode 1 being left unfinished and no additional work being provided on it. It's in a vegetative state ; by all accounts, even Garriott has moved on.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
PT Barnum was right. You can fool some of the people all of the time. It does seem like they have a small number of whales who will keep throwing a lot of money at the game. As long as that is the case then I assume Portalarium has a plan to stay in business.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I have no clue to the actual future of this, but I do know a few things.

Every single month there is a fundraiser that continues to fund the game. Are Whales funding this currently? Probably. I personally have not seen THAT many new people to warrant the continued funding. But it continues to get funding for now. Every month.

They made a number of cost efficient moves to keep the server cost very minimal. And of course have currently a minimal staff. I think they have their costs down now. I don’t know if it’s currently profitable or not.

New content and other additions come out every month. And the roadmap for Q1 has already been published here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/q1-2019-schedule-update.147892/ the new continents will be coming in March.

I got my game for free, and I have only gotten a few small things on the store, so I don’t have any huge investment tied to this, but I still enjoy it and will see how long it lasts.

grimace

Arcane
Funding continues.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085&open=2115

Lord-of-the-Manor-Event-111-1024x576-220x130.jpg

Limited to 8 (of 24) Bundles!

As one of the biggest and earliest supporters of Episode 2 you will be granted the largest lot deed in the land (Castle), the title Lord (or Lady) of the Isle, a tour of the Portalarium Offices, and dinner with the game leaders including Lord British himself! Only 24 of these unique bundles will be sold!

Complete List of Rewards:

• Place Anywhere Castle Lot Deed: Tax Free for 1 Year and placeable on water as well as land
  • Title: Lord of the Isle or Lady of the Isle
  • Choice of any 2 houses currently available in the store
  • Castle Basement currently available in the store of your choice
  • Castle Wall Set currently available in the store of your choice (with enough for Castle Lot)
  • 1400 Crowns
  • 999 Bank Slots
  • Pick 12 Prosperity Tools
  • 2 Unique in-game items (to be revealed later)
  • Early Access to Episode 2
  • Episode 1 Box and map signed by the team
  • 1 hour one on one with Chris for design discussion (via video-conference)
  • One real silver ring crafted personally by Lord British: Numbered 17 - 24
  • In-game version of the Lord British ring: Numbered 17 - 24 (including a place-able decoration version)
  • Tour of Portalarium Offices
  • Fine dinner and drinks with Lord British, Darkstarr, & Atos at a location TBD in Austin or NYC.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Robot body? So he became like Blackthorne?
blackthorn-figurine-articulee-statuette-ultima-online-guerrier-metal-gothique.jpg

Some people are so disconnected from reality.

I’m picturing that stupid Sheldon-bot in BBT.

grimace

Arcane
Robot body? So he became like Blackthorne?
Some people are so disconnected from reality.

I’m picturing that stupid Sheldon-bot in BBT.

It has been stated that Richard is more like Blackthorn and Starr is more like Lord British in daily life.

Also:

Episode 2 land expansion ... might look familiar.

DwwptCXUUAAgEWj.jpg:large

Can anyone guess where Lord British castle will reside? The tip?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
  • One real silver ring crafted personally by Lord British: Numbered 1 - 8
So, he’s a silversmith and jewelry maker in real life or will it just be from
F7F6A58865A4407CAAC10234C40A8049.jpg

Sorry, I’m not “bedazzled” by the supposed greats of the era be it Gary Gygax, Stan Lee, etc etc.

There comes a point where it looks like they’re greedy with KS, Patreon etc.

Btw, I can’t wait for spring to occur and no end to TBTT. Fargo is still timing the engine to make core i9s groan. I wonder if other game makers will follow that sort of agenda. I mean maybe they have stock in pentium.

It’s nice to see the old Sosaria map reinvisioned though I know there was at least one project by someone who wanted to mirror it (done with rpg maker I suspect).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom