Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Infinitron, Mar 1, 2013.

1. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Can this still be played offline or did I misread that FAQ?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Eli_Havelock Learned

Eli_Havelock
    ^ Top  
  3. grimace Prophet

grimace
    The open development process, along with this thread and other RAW forums, are essential game making lessons.

I do hope one of the staff members writes a book about this experience.

^ Top  
  4. Eli_Havelock Learned

Eli_Havelock
    If they do they'll find every way on the planet to fuck up shipping it out until they shovel out some in-game asset flip as compensation.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. grimace Prophet

grimace
    What's the pitch for a documentary about Shroud of the Avatar?

They make documentaries about everything!

Show Spoiler

LuLaRich - Official Trailer | Prime Video

We can talk about the limited in game real estate!
    Show Spoiler
    That was later sold unlimited.

^ Top  
  6. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
  7. Eli_Havelock Learned

Eli_Havelock
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    ^ Top  
  8. KeighnMcDeath RPG Codex Boomer

KeighnMcDeath
    Pretty boring. I've alway found having a vendor/selling tiresome. If i can, I just hoard resources. If not, I sell the dhit to npcs (if possible).

This governor shit sounds annoying. I hate governors and senstors IRL because they are powermad assholes.

^ Top  
  9. LarryTyphoid Learned

LarryTyphoid
    This thread sure was a ride to read through. The early Kickstarter naivete, the sharp decline in expectation - Jaesun shitting on the game then coming back months later to repeat Ultima Dragon shill cope before forever disappearing into the mist of gay ERP with fellow Gen X autists.

Although I'm still playing through the Ultima games (currently on U6) and liking them, I can't imagine why anybody was really excited for a follow-up. The Ultima name has no weight anymore but loads of baggage. Nobody is gonna take a game seriously when its creator made himself king of the world. SotA took all the goofy shit (IE developer self-inserts) from Ultima without anything good, so it's only gonna appeal to retarded fanboys like Jaesun who still seems to think that Ultima 8 is good.

Then again, I don't know what to expect from a fanbase that has most of its presence on fucking Facebook of all things. Fags that old belong in a retirement home or a wooden box. At least Ultima Online sounds kinda cool if you get on one of these custom servers I've seen mentioned. I like Space Station 13, a similarly LARPy game, but that one's only good if you can avoid all the furry sex dungeons. Sounds like I've already played UO without even knowing it.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. grimace Prophet

grimace

Shtroud of the Avatar was pitched as the spiritual successor to Ultima Online 2.

Many took this to mean that SotA would be brutal with open PVP and danger in exploration, bounties on evil player killers, and a virtue system for player actions.

Others took this to mean that SotA would be the Ultimate Collector Home and Garden property decorator with merchant re-seller scum features (in game and real cash transactions).

Concessions were made until all that remained were peaceful AFK fishing parties.

^ Top  
  11. Eli_Havelock Learned

Eli_Havelock
    After Portalarium's previous game, Ultimate Collector, proved to be too shitty for even mobile (after their previous sub-par Facebook Poker game) there was this big post by RG on Facebook about the future and how the next evolution of RPG was to be on social media via Facebook and phones.

After that warned anyone with enough technical savvy at any point in the last 20 years, RG's cash grab attempt to return to rockstar status progressed into a Kickstarter where nobody knew what the fuck they were doing except say anything to get the stupid to throw money at it.

People still had faith in this even after RG was selling his blood like a celebrity crackhead trying to make enough for his next fix: Move over, $30k Star Cultizen casuals!

Another is trying to recruit entire guilds of Thai ladyboys to promote this. "It is with diligent hopes that other internet cafe operators and gaming streamers who know me here in Thailand will also be hosted through the character known as Sum Savage."

Except for the Kickstarter, where it briefly became "not an MMO" up until they smelled the money rolling in from Markee Dragon and other flippers flipping asset flips, pushed the farce of anything resembling a single-player game further and further back until you "can play this offline" with irrelevant messages about online plastered everywhere. Unlike anything Lord British Presents - this has no functional intro.

The cherry on the shit sundae? The retard Lord British left this game to just figured out that maybe there should be a cooldown on potions or else PvP balance was going to continue being a joke.

^ Top  
  12. LarryTyphoid Learned

LarryTyphoid
    Sounds cool. People are such pussies about losing their loot in a game. It's just pixels. I used to play Sea of Thieves, a game where the only progression is entirely cosmetic, and even there people would bitch and whine when you killed them. If there's no danger from other players then what's the point of an MMO?
    By the way grimace , I enjoyed your strange arc in this thread - from paid bot shill to beloved shitposter. :greatjob:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Ultima fans are by far the biggest and weirdest cultists in the cRPG genre.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Eli_Havelock Learned

Eli_Havelock
    All the Oral Roberts followers had to go somewhere.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...i-helped-put-william-shatner-to-space.170175/

^ Top  
  15. Eli_Havelock Learned

Eli_Havelock
    (Non-Media tag links are to a series of giant-related tweets.)

How it started:

https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1429567933525774342
    https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1429859870665232386
    https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1429941474981031936
    https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1430599983565348870
    https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1430959743867232256
    https://twitter.com/catnipgames/status/1430971444108873729

How it is going:

Frost Giant defeated 2021

How the dev team is going:

How the marketing is going:

"Why won't other games work with me?"

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlueExquisiteJalapenoBudBlast-WKo0P-ZCW__c2L-A

Richard Garriott is about to Kill WoW all over again!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Eli_Havelock Learned

Eli_Havelock
    RIP single-player

No, PAY 2 WIN will save it!

That'll kill it for sure. Or are they hoping to get new players by receiving attention for making this even more of a ripoff scam? It's a desperation play, but understandable given their position and how they're barely able to fill PvP Fishing or Dance Parties:

https://steamcharts.com/app/326160

Last 30 Days:
    Month Avg. Players

Gain

% Gain
    -20.95%

Peak Players

^ Top  
  17. Eli_Havelock Learned

Eli_Havelock
    ^ Top  
  18. LarryTyphoid Learned

LarryTyphoid
    Average SotA player
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Did they finally fix it?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Eli_Havelock Learned

Eli_Havelock
    This is an actual thing in the newsletter.

And being broadcast on all channels.

What. people played New World and were all like "This is cool, but what I'd really like is to play something even more buggy and unfinished"? There is absolutely no way this is going to backfire.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. grimace Prophet

grimace
    For this to backfire (and for people to notice) there would need to be a SotA login queue.

No one stands behind this project apart from Chris catnipgames.

^ Top  
  22. Eli_Havelock Learned

Eli_Havelock
    Absolutely no one, except for those who run around other MMOs trying to say how good this shit is and get upset when they are laughed at because people think they're making a joke. The last stream they did has all kinds of funny stories from those who supposedly played a bit of New World and told everyone how great SotA was and they were all amaze. Here's one from a volunteer player wearing a dev tag.

It's basically New Britannian Cock & Bull on who makes the best feel-good cult-reinforcement story, something they have played for years. Think Elizabethan Scientology, with far less budget and responsibility than either.

^ Top  
  23. LarryTyphoid Learned

LarryTyphoid
    I can't believe that subreddit is trashing the game almost as much as the Codex.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.