Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Eli_Havelock

Learned
to be fair, it's probably better than nu world

Maybe. Catnip can't ignore the stats, and despite lying out their asses about it, their attempt to poach players is absolutely desperation.

It's only been years of feedback, requiring multiboxing or doing something else for hours, until they finally make this a spiritual successor to Tabula Rasa.

I can't believe that subreddit is trashing the game almost as much as the Codex.

That sub was created when the official one was abandoned because the devs are absolute internet newbies who click on the email links from their favorite Nigerian prince (memes scared them) and tried to run it like their own forums (made the same mess on Steam), and then another for when it became too much for even that one. One of the white knights tries to make "ShroudoftheavatarNICE" and it lingered around for a while until it died a silent death when the white knight gave up on UI improvements. I'd say that RAW is most comparable to here, as some of the fans still try to post stupid shit like boasting about killing the most boring boss ever in MMOs on the unofficial sub.

Even those who tried to make it as YouTubers via Shroud are now publicly shitting on them.

(This is a rip on the internet princess who tried to claim intellectual property and then later had to do this until Starr Long finally bailed.)

It's been an amazing ride. Now the only thing to put a bow on it would be for Spoony to make a review.

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
Shroud of the Avatar
@catnipgames
Reminder to join us this Friday, the 5th at 4PM for a special stream with Richard "Lord British" Garriott and Starr "DarkStarr" Long to award some special prizes to players!
2:39 PM · Nov 2, 2021·Twitter Web App

Remember, remember the 5th of November.

Eli_Havelock will watch for us and report back.

Will they announce the release date of Episode 3 (of 5)?

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Nah, like Lord Dick, I still have those willing to do most of the footwork and report back. They'll watch it to find any lulz - I almost lost two of them dying to laughter when they watched Chris Spears eat his own shit, the 2h+ 1 Dev 1 Cup that started out as introducing the start of their game for new players, turning into a group QA session, and ending as an advertisement to go back to New World or anything else. This "special stream" is them trying to return the ONBE ceremony and to announce the same for their replacement for SotACon, the convention that had such poor attendance they had to rename it Festival of the Avatar to get numbers back by trying to appeal to Ultima fans in general. I'm entertained enough watching the MMO theatre of outrage that Blizzard releases a cash shop mount like they have every year for the better part of a decade and acting like it's the worse thing ever. This genre's really gone meta.

3 comes after 2, and 2 is still in Early Access! Episode 5's awesomeness will be witnessed by our grandchildren.

TL;DR: It's just like the last time Lord Brexit showed his face anywhere around the actual game (and not just "a fine story indeed! and overdeveloping adding Kraft Cheese to Kraft Mac & Cheese) - he handed out awards and ran to the bottom of the ocean.

Last edited:

grimace

Arcane
41O7QwlxOXL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Eye-Scales-Blade-Avatar/dp/0765382326

The Eye of Scales (Blade of the Avatar, 2) Hardcover – July 26, 2022
by Tracy Hickman (Author), Richard Garriott (Author)

Book Two (of Three?) pre-orders live now.

You might still find the first book at bargain prices.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Even Razorfist just shit on this game on Twitter. Now we know that Underworld Ascendant was the TRUE Ultima successor!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Darkstarr? With the double R's. WTF!!! I had an alt of that name in many gameon paper and crpgs for the 80s-2000; albeit... he was called Arragon Darkstarr.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Is there any reason to play SotA over Second Life? I mean, I suppose the SotA userbase is slightly less sexually degenerate, though the difference appears to be negligible. How many black women play SotA? Can you reenact a DanielFromSL video?

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Is a gear farming cooldown managing game? Has good necromancy? Good cryomancy?
Dude it's a real estate market except the estates are not real.

And the real estate regulators are retards. The whole reason why the rest of the game's design suffered was in favor of keeping value in what people bought and traded based upon location because "remember Trinsic property values?"; that is now considered "griefing".This will not have any affect upon the game at all, like how nuking RMT from public view totally didn't kill one of the few remaining API site (coincidentally paid for by the ONLY Portalarium "trusted trader").

Stay tuned for Lord British Presents the most self-defeating development around this side of Nexon, but with no publisher to blame at all (this time). I can't wait to see how they fuck themselves next.

Last edited:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
The latest update showcases new mobs. This is the screenshot they decided to go with, like the devs are openly mocking the people who still play this game.

creature_lioness-625x352.jpg

And it gets worse than that.

"I would like to know if it's intended or is it a bug that lions sound like dogs and yield wolf carcass and head."

They plan on improving the big cat sounds: see this clip from the recent live stream
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1236240146?t=00h09m37s

The big cat loot has not been implemented yet, so wolf loot has been substituted in the meantime. This has been bug reported already.

There are a few other bugs with the big cats, including the hit box and name tag of some cats getting displaced away from the visible location of their body.

As far as I know, there has been no estimate of when these issues will be resolved.

For big cat attacks, I see your point. During wild life documentaries, I have mainly seen big cats do a drag-down type of attack where they sink their claws into the prey and then pull the prey to the ground (a pounce and knock down rather than a knock back).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Who gives a rusty rut fuck about fighting big cats. Animals are like the most boring thing to fight. You want the fantastic and you get fucking mountain lions? Sheesh.

Bears
Dogs
Rats
Geese
Mice
Penguins

That isn't what I want to see mostly on a bestiary (and the hundred variations and reskinned colors).

:Flash:

Arcane
Who gives a rusty rut fuck about fighting big cats. Animals are like the most boring thing to fight. You want the fantastic and you get fucking mountain lions? Sheesh.

Bears
Dogs
Rats
Geese
Mice
Penguins

That isn't what I want to see mostly on a bestiary (and the hundred variations and reskinned colors).
But that is what is in the asset store.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Last month's Release 96 featured undead as the asset of choice.

monster_ancient_undead-625x299.jpg

• A new danger has arisen in some remote locations. A previously-unknown ancient undead humanoid, from before any recorded history, has emerged to threaten all of humanity. Ancient Undead now have chances to appear in Despair, Opalis Ruins, Mysterious Swamp, Forest Road Encounter, Plains Encounter, Plains Road Encounter, and Swamp Road Encounter. These new arrivals to New Britannia will soon provide unique loot items in R97, but these horrific and powerful beings are currently in-game now. Go test your mettle!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom