Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
lookdown4jkas.png

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Well. If he starts a Kickstarter at least we know there's a possibility that he won't fuck it up. Yes Ultima 8 & 9 were the worst of his series...because that was when EA got involved.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well. If he starts a Kickstarter at least we know there's a possibility that he won't fuck it up. Yes Ultima 8 & 9 were the worst of his series...because that was when EA got involved.

Actually, EA is NOT the reason those were bad games. Origin just got tired of making proper CRPGs. Early 90s EA would have funded whatever Ultima Origin wanted to make.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Actually, EA is NOT the reason those were bad games. Origin just got tired of making proper CRPGs. Early 90s EA would have funded whatever Ultima Origin wanted to make.
I've heard people everywhere say EA forced Origin on time constraints with both games. U8 was even planned to have an expansion which never got made because EA made them start work on U9.
Whatever the case...it can still be seen that with EA's intervention the games suddenly lost their character. Coincidence? It's EA. I think not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've heard people everywhere say EA forced Origin on time constraints with both games.

Time constraints, yes, but U8 was still designed as a hack and slash action-adventure with platforming elements, not as a U7-style CRPG. Polished shit vs unpolished shit, which is better and why?

U8 was even planned to have an expansion which never got made because EA made them start work on U9.

They cancelled the expansion because the original game sold poorly, not because of U9. U9 didn't really start production until a couple years later.

Tytus

Arcane
I've heard people everywhere say EA forced Origin on time constraints with both games. U8 was even planned to have an expansion which never got made because EA made them start work on U9.

Yeah, Spoony in his Ultima retrospective about Ultima 9 pretty much explained how EA forced them to start developing the game from scratch with a new 3D engine (when half of the game was already done) but they didn't extend their deadline. If that's true then fuck EA.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Yeah, Spoony in his Ultima retrospective about Ultima 9 pretty much explained how EA forced them to start developing the game from scratch with a new 3D engine (when half of the game was already done) but they didn't extend their deadline. If that's true then fuck EA.
Spoony is wrong too. As far as I know, rebooting the game in a new 3D perspective was 100% Origin's decision. EA didn't force them to do shit.

Remember, this is the same EA of the late 90s that funded System Shock 2. They were still pretty nasty, but they were capable of funding good games back then.

Tytus

Arcane

Spoony is wrong too. As far as I know, rebooting the game in a new 3D perspective was 100% Origin's decision. EA didn't force them to do shit.

Remember, this is the same EA of the late 90s that funded System Shock 2. They were still pretty nasty, but they were capable of funding good games back then.

Your knowledge of the land is great.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Shifting to a 3D perspective was not what made U9 bad. EA's help, lead to the future games lacking polish, and being released before they were complete.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Shifting to a 3D perspective was not what made U9 bad.

Yes and no.

A third person 3D perspective in and of itself does not make a game bad, but in Ultima IX's case, the programmers completely failed to get a handle on the technology, which forced them to cut the game down drastically. The engine simply couldn't support the complex, "epic" plot and detailed world they originally had in mind (political intrigue, uniting Britannia's armies to war against the Guardian, party-based gameplay, NPC schedules, etc).

The cutting down of the plot also forced them quickly rewrite and rerecord all the dialogue which is why it's so shitty. (why even have fully voiced dialogue when a successful 3D CRPG like Morrowind didn't have it even three years later? WHO KNOWS)

So the 3D perspective basically led to a spiral of dumbing down which ruined the entire game.

Tytus

Arcane
The cutting down of the plot also forced them quickly rewrite and rerecord all the dialogue which is why it's so shitty. (why even have fully voiced dialogue when a successful 3D CRPG like Morrowind didn't have it even three years later? WHO KNOWS)

Apparently they wanted to be on the cutting edge of gaming.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
So the 3D perspective basically led to a spiral of dumbing down which ruined the entire game.
But Garriott still has one of the better resumes in the gaming industry. Fuck...I really hope his trip into space enlightened him a little.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
This will be shit, Garriott lost his touch and sanity 15 years ago. Why is this even in RPG Dicsussion?

Xavier0889

Learned
Jarpie I would respond to your post but instead I'll just quote another user, that you probably agree with.

Everything is shit.

Fixed.
Well, shifting into 3D wasn't a bad choice per se. It was a nice update for the series, and it looked better than most of that time's 3d games (and to some extent, still does). In fact, when they announced that 9 will have such a polished graphic presentation, and, allegedly, Garriot himself said it was going to be better than 8, I was like :bounce: when waiting for the full game to be released.
We all know what happened then.

Stabwound

Arcane
It would be interesting if this actually turns out to be a pseudo Ultima 10. Probably not in a good way, but still interesting.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't think this is Ultima X. It's a complete reboot of the whole.... Ultima setting (using virtues etc...) but minus any of the IP stuff that EA owns.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't think this is Ultima X. It's a complete reboot of the whole.... Ultima setting (using virtues etc...) but minus any of the IP stuff that EA owns.
Doesn't the "lost" U9 ending include the nuking of Britannia and the survivors flying off on a floating island? You could start from there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom