Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Silent Hill: The Short Message - the rape continues

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apparently a new Silent Hill game came out unannounced two days ago, for free, for the PS5, called The Short Message. What is it? A first-person walking sim with what are by the looks of things the most insufferable characters the franchise has ever seen, which is saying something. But don't take my word for it, here are the producer's thoughts:
We wanted to make a new, modern Silent Hill. As part of that we explored how we could incorporate contemporary problems. We ended up looking at how modern youth communicate online and through phones, and the role that could play in a psychological horror story. For instance, a frightening thing about social media is how even insignificant individual comments can, en masse, build and build until they become this overwhelming wave of hate crashing down on you.

Life under that shadow is only becoming more and more complex and challenging, and it leads to more and more people struggling in their lives. Especially for anyone growing up with that hanging over them – people who are feeling isolated in society, being hammered with insults and abuse online, dealing with bullying and ostracization in school. These are young people who are finding themselves up against a whole tide of serious issues.

We chose to set our story around young characters like this. Characters who are genuinely suffering and lost, where even one more minor setback can wind up pushing them even deeper into a spiral of anguish. But, in the same way, even the smallest kindness can be the thing that pulls them back from the brink. And that’s what also makes this game a message, from us to everyone living with that ever-present conflict and pressure.

It was always obvious that nothing worthwhile would result from this fresh batch of Silent Hill games (although I anticipate some butthurt when the "enhanced" SH2 comes out), but I honestly didn't expect things to get this terrible. Anyway, instead of being disappointed, let us laugh at the garbage together.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I was scrolling through the new releases on the Playstation store and this popped up. Huh... free? Silent Hill?? Then I clicked on it and took one look at the protagonist and said "No thank you."

DemonKing

Arcane
The "gameplay" consists of running away from a monster while occasionally luring it down one path so you can double back away from it. The rest is a walking simulator where you stop every now and then to chat on your phone to other depressed teenage girls.

Tehdagah

Arcane
The "gameplay" consists of running away from a monster while occasionally luring it down one path so you can double back away from it. The rest is a walking simulator where you stop every now and then to chat on your phone to other depressed teenage girls.
Sounds like that PT demo.

Sunri

Liturgist
did you guys see new sh merch? fuck them for real
Post image

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom