Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News SKALD: Against the Black Priory releasing on May 30th

The Jester

Cipher
:what:
WHAT THE FUCK happened to this game's art style? why did the developer turn it into pixel indie game #1556864651?

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
WHAT THE FUCK happened to this game's art style? why did the developer turn it into pixel indie game #1556864651?
Wasn't that always the case?

I think he's referring to the fact that they introduced a shader-based lighting system, so effectively they have diverged from the C64 aesthetics somewhat.

I was a bit annoyed by that, but to me this still looks like C64 as fuck, so it's all good. This still very much looks like the authentic 16-colour PAL C64 palette. But yeah, I'd prefer to have the lighting system completely gone.

sT0Ymy0.png

FoA0s1U.png

cx0EGx2.png

YIDBPkK.png

FSCQYnz.png

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

It's called autism, they can't remain faithful to their initial vision. It's the same shit with Call of Saregnar, game looked perfect and now he's messing up with the fucking trees and shit.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

It's called autism, they can't remain faithful to their initial vision. It's the same shit with Call of Saregnar, game looked perfect and now he's messing up with the fucking trees and shit.
Referring to these videos?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5cQAo7UI-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFMz52Y_Fvc

I think the game looks fantastic, a very good balance between oldschool and pleasant-looking.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy

I think the game looks fantastic, a very good balance between oldschool and pleasant-looking.
Good for you if you like it , but for me it looses the retro Krondor look as the time goes by, changes in the trees, changes in the lightning effects..

I much preferred the 2d trees than the "modern" 3d ones, anyway, I'm kinda of fed up with all of those indie devs at this point.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Good for you if you like it , but for me it looses the retro Krondor look as the time goes by, changes in the trees, changes in the lightning effects..

I much preferred the 2d trees than the "modern" 3d ones, anyway, I'm kinda of fed up with all of those indie devs at this point.
Maybe the trees could be a *little* bit less modern, yeah. The lighting seems a bit too much for a retro game, agreed.

I get your point; the danger is that it will stop looking like an early 90s DOS-inspired retro game after too many "improvements", and more like an early accelerated Windows game which is not a look I'm nostalgic for.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The commercial was cool, game still looks like a trip to an 8 bit gay bar though. Hopefully the game play is cool and the aesthetic and "bopping" animations aren't too offputting / can be tweaked in options.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hopefully the game play is cool and the aesthetic and "bopping" animations aren't too offputting / can be tweaked in options.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of every sprite jumping up and down all the time during combat. What's wrong with static sprites like in Gold Box?

Turning off the shaders would be nice, but unlikely it will happen as that might necessitate doing certain graphics elements twice. I wish they stuck with sane "modern C64 limits', so 320x200, 16-colour C64 palette, but any pixel can be any colour, unlike on the C64 (without tricks). This went a fews steps too much into the "modern" direction, no doubt.

Watching the trailer, the music is also a big missed opportunity. My understanding is that it was composed by a codexer, and it's not bad in general, but not great either if we're talking about C64 inspired music.

The music of Times of Lore is great, I love track 9:
https://youtu.be/G33RX9vVd70?si=pcDykM2iNDAEbRdp&t=870

Then how about atmospheric masterpieces like the Total Eclipse music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvQAz-VRGPs

So yeah, I would've preferred true SID music, or something much closer to SID.

Heh, aren't we a picky bunch.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hopefully the game play is cool and the aesthetic and "bopping" animations aren't too offputting / can be tweaked in options.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of every sprite jumping up and down all the time during combat. What's wrong with static sprites like in Gold Box?
I even like animated sprites like in early Ultimas, e.g. Ultima IV, but in this thing, between the colour scheme and the way they all bop in sync, they look like they're at a rave. :lol:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Watching the trailer, the music is also a big missed opportunity. My understanding is that it was composed by a codexer, and it's not bad in general, but not great either if we're talking about C64 inspired music.
zwanzig_zwoelf did the score, I thought the stuff I heard in the OG demo was p.gud thought it might have benefited from being more SID in nature.

Gandalf

Arbiter
I enjoyed the commercial. Hmm, maybe the game will not be as bad as I thought it will be in the first place.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't parse this post, but probably I should be happy I'm oblivious of the drama. :)
Moron pitches C64 Ultima clone with some nice fake trailers.
People get overly excited and throw money everywhere.
Years pass, no game appears.
Developer makes tons of excuses and moves halfway across the country.
People get angry.
Developer stops making excuses and starts antagonizing donors while not doing any actual work.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I can't parse this post, but probably I should be happy I'm oblivious of the drama. :)
Moron pitches C64 Ultima clone with some nice fake trailers.
People get overly excited and throw money everywhere.
Years pass, no game appears.
Developer makes tons of excuses and moves halfway across the country.
People get angry.
Developer stops making excuses and starts antagonizing donors while not doing any actual work.
Sounds like he has the work ethic of a Kobold

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
That trailer looks cooler than the game tbh. The game itself looks OK-ish, but the moment I saw that skill tree screen I was like "yeah, of course...".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom