Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Skyrim - How Not to Make a PC Game

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Overweight Manatee said:
Its been 4 years since Oblivion vs something like 5 days since the last CoD DLC release? That probably influences a lot. The interesting fact is that MW3 is immediately taking a downturn, you would expect it to steadily increase. Must really stink of shit.
It would be nice to think that people are tired of their shit, but who really knows.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Clicking the mouse in the UI fucks up the keyboard controls (and doesn't do much else - you have to use WASD to navigate, move sliders and shit). I had to constantly switch UI screens to fix it.

Also - the game looks like Oblivion with a lot of mods thrown in. It still needs some gfx work done though.

I'm sure I will pick the GOTY edition in 2 years when modders will fix 90% of the game.

This post was sponsored by Razor1911.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Morbus said:
Zarniwoop said:
It means Bethesda is raking in the cash by the trucklaod from Steam (PC) players. I'm actually disappoint to see how many Codexers have bought this mess.
I guess you haven't heard of the piratebay.

Pirated versions have the Steaminess cracked out, they don't show up on the stats. Unless they've started now somehow..

turul

Augur
Skyrim:
skyrim_550.jpg

Witcher 2
witcher2%202011-05-22%2018-16-26-86_thumb.jpg

There is plenty of influence, except the witcher 2's interface is far more functional.

I will even say, that Oblivion had a better interface, especially with the hotkeys available for quickly changing weapons or spells.

:smug:

Skyrim-inventory.jpg

WTF is this? Macy's have its online underwear catalog better than this!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Mister Arkham said:
curry said:
Mister Arkham said:
attackfighter said:
the most annoying thing about skyrim is that the mouse sensitivity is super low and also that the sensitivity for moving vertically is lower than it is for moving the camera horizontally... fuck bethesda for thinking this shit was a good idea, they probably thought it was making the game more 'cinematic' to force you to move the camera around in such a slow, shitty manner.

This is my absolute biggest issue with the game so far. It runs well enough (just not having the problems a lot of people seem to be) and looks pretty good, and the whole thing has kind of a sense of fun to it...but why in the deep blue everloving FUCK can't I look up or down quickly? Especially in a game where there are DRAGONS dropping out of the sky at you all of the time. I mean, are you shitting me?

You can adjust mouse sensitivity in the settings menu. :roll:

You're missing the point of the complaint. The issue that attackfighter and I are talking about isn't really that there's a problem with mouse sensitivity...it's that the vertical pan is limited to about a third of the speed of the horizontal, regardless of the sensitivity level you have it on. If you turn the sensitivity slider all of the way up you get just about the same vertical sensitivity that you had horizontally on the lower end of the scale, and that's great, but--since there aren't separate x and y sliders--the horizontal pan (which was quite nice at about a quarter of the way up the scale) becomes like a carousel when making simple turns and can be outright vomit inducing in combat. I imagine that someone will find a way to fix the issue in the .ini file before too long, but it's such a stupid and easily avoided problem to begin with that I just have to question what the hell the design team was thinking when they made that decision.

Thumbsticks.

Morkar Left

I don't know why people are complaining about the interface. People should be happy they did a port for the pc and there were far worse pc-ports.

:troll:

kris

Arcane
Rivmusique said:
The landscape looks about as varied as Oblivion, and that is the main appeal that Morrowind had for me and therefore all I was looking for in Skyrim. Yet it fails. The crappy UI, console port feeling, same-as-Oblivion combat and bad writing were all expected.

Landscapes is more varied from what I seen. Should be noted that I hardly played Oblivion though. The Birches are really nice.

I have no idea what season it is supposed to be though. Autumn or spring? There is both spring flowers and floods, but also autumn colors in the birches. Harvest also seems to imply autumn. More Lulzy is how you can go from clear skies only to come into a snow storm while walking up a mountain. Guess they chosen ambience of realism.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
That's just videogame scale for you. Skyrim is supposed to be a lot bigger than it actually is in-game.

John_Blazze

Augur
Man, what the fuck. You can assign hotkeys to spells/weapons with no problem. And the UI is crappy but I dont find it hard to use, I disliked Wither's UI more and it was supposed to be a pc game.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Brother None said:
phanboy_iv said:
Well damn. An open-world RPG outselling Modern Warfare on the PC. Actual legitimate copies.

MW is shit on PC, but it's not just outselling, this is as big an activity as we've seen for a PC game on Steam in a while.

2hCtS.png

Skyrim is a hit. What else is new.

Civ5 is still being played ? Now THAT is a surprise.

turul said:
I will even say, that Oblivion had a better interface, especially with the hotkeys available for quickly changing weapons or spells.

Click your "favorites" button, highlight items and assign numbers in the order you like.

*Bam* There are hotkeys.

If you for instance you set a Flame spell on 1, pressing it twice will have you dual casting.

kris

Arcane
Turisas said:
That's just videogame scale for you. Skyrim is supposed to be a lot bigger than it actually is in-game.

I understand that perfectly and I guess that would explain the very sudden changes in weather. But my biggest complaint/wonder is in how the game world don't seem to have a consistant season. It is like they want to show off all seasons, but in different parts of the region.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
treave said:
Mister Arkham said:
You're missing the point of the complaint. The issue that attackfighter and I are talking about isn't really that there's a problem with mouse sensitivity...it's that the vertical pan is limited to about a third of the speed of the horizontal, regardless of the sensitivity level you have it on. If you turn the sensitivity slider all of the way up you get just about the same vertical sensitivity that you had horizontally on the lower end of the scale, and that's great, but--since there aren't separate x and y sliders--the horizontal pan (which was quite nice at about a quarter of the way up the scale) becomes like a carousel when making simple turns and can be outright vomit inducing in combat. I imagine that someone will find a way to fix the issue in the .ini file before too long, but it's such a stupid and easily avoided problem to begin with that I just have to question what the hell the design team was thinking when they made that decision.

Thumbsticks.

They can take my mouse and keyboard from me when I'm dead.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Why do you guys think that graph makes MW3 look bad? Skyrim is a Steam game. Everyone who purchased it had to install Steam. Same with TF2. That's why they outnumber MW3 on Steam.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
sea said:
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5696/skyrimrealestate.jpg
Wow, while playing it I felt how awful it was, but this guy puts it perfectly.

Suchy

Arcane
sea said:

I didn't make this image (some dude on the Bethesda forums did) but apparently it takes a professional UI engineer to see these sorts of problems these days.
Can you link to the original thread?

Achilles

Arcane
Grimlorn said:
Why do you guys think that graph makes MW3 look bad? Skyrim is a Steam game. Everyone who purchased it had to install Steam. Same with TF2. That's why they outnumber MW3 on Steam.

Modern Warfare 3 is a Steamworks game too.

Morbus

Scholar
The UI is indeed some of the laziest stuff I've seen in a while. Looks like they got the first mockup that came out of their asses and just went with it. Who the fuck wants to see baked salmon or whatever? Or a carrot?! I still haven't figured out how to spin items around either. Lol.

Good thing is you don't need the inventory a whole lot. The game is pretty dumbed down, and the real problem is only the skills trees. Which are fantastically terrible.

I'm thinking more and more that this is the best game Bethesda (and that is Morrowind and after) has ever made.

No, seriously. The lack of the moronic Morrowind/Oblivion leveling system alone makes up for everything else.

Eyeball

Arcane
Morbus said:
The UI is indeed some of the laziest stuff I've seen in a while. Looks like they got the first mockup that came out of their asses and just went with it. Who the fuck wants to see baked salmon or whatever? Or a carrot?! I still haven't figured out how to spin items around either. Lol.

Good thing is you don't need the inventory a whole lot. The game is pretty dumbed down, and the real problem is only the skills trees. Which are fantastically terrible.

I'm thinking more and more that this is the best game Bethesda (and that is Morrowind and after) has ever made.

No, seriously. The lack of the moronic Morrowind/Oblivion leveling system alone makes up for everything else.
Uncharacteristically for these dark times, the dumbing down of the leveling system did indeed provide incline - remember how in Morrowind or Oblivion you didn't want to sleep and level up until you'd grinded some meaningless untagged skill you never use for a few points just so you could get a +5 stat bonus? That's thankfully gone now, and money seems to me to be more meaningful in Skyrim than in earlier games - as a mage, I am constantly broke as I need to pay the magic trainers in Winterhold their exorbitant fees for training.

However, they fucked it up majorly with their stupid-ass Level Up Instaheal cheat function. I have hated the shit out of this sort of thing since first seeing it in Diablo and it's even more fucking stupid in a supposedly halfway serious game like Skyrim.

To the modder's cave! Hopefully, somebody will have removed that sad consolised fuckwit function, along with the completely unnecessary and immersion breaking enemy radar.

DraQ

Arcane
Mister Arkham said:
treave said:
Mister Arkham said:

Thumbsticks.

They can take my mouse and keyboard from me when I'm dead.
They won't be able to take my mouse and keyboard from me with their cold dead hands.

sea said:

I didn't make this image (some dude on the Bethesda forums did) but apparently it takes a professional UI engineer to see these sorts of problems these days.
Morrowind GUI :love: .

Eyeball said:
Uncharacteristically for these dark times, the dumbing down of the leveling system did indeed provide incline - remember how in Morrowind or Oblivion you didn't want to sleep and level up until you'd grinded some meaningless untagged skill you never use for a few points just so you could get a +5 stat bonus?
Umm... no? Because trying to powergame Morrowind was an excercise in derp.

Anyway, making all skills contribute to leveling is a good thing, but it isn't dumbing down and has no connection with removal of attributes and starting builds/classes which is.

While I could see the case being made for trying to stat-game in Oblivion, Morrowind had little level scaling so you could simply tackle places later once you were more suitable. And if you really wanted to, there were half a dozen broken options for becoming insanely powerful. Why bother? I never had to worry about counting stats in Morrowind.

Though yes, after awhile jumping every goddamn where did turn into a habit. But that became a personal game in and of itself for because I hopped roofs.

Luzur

Good Sir
well too much text on screen makes consollers heads hurt, i guess.

so its better with big nice picture instead.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Shannow said:

making the interface as harsh and forbidding as the hoary peaks of skyrim is immersive design

skyrim is a very complex game so you should be grateful that you can do so much things with the interface

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom