Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Skyrim - How Not to Make a PC Game

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
turul said:
I will even say, that Oblivion had a better interface, especially with the hotkeys available for quickly changing weapons or spells.

:smug:

Click your "favorites" button, highlight items and assign numbers in the order you like.

*Bam* There are hotkeys.

If you for instance you set a Flame spell on 1, pressing it twice will have you dual casting.

Well, fuck me with a charred bamboo stick. That'll teach me to RTFM.

Now I just gotta figure out how to make skyrim work properly with my mouse. Whenever I press and hold RMB it only registers it as a single click, unless I continually move the mouse around in small circles. It makes dual-casting, blocking etc extremely difficult.

Lightknight

Liturgist
In other news : Penny Arcade guys dont really know what an RPG is.
I only wish actually playing the game was more fun.

There’s just nothing to the combat. Killing a cave full of vampires is cool because at the end I got a rad sword but actually fighting them was pretty boring. Fighting shit in Skyrim isn’t about how well you can manipulate your controller, it’s about numbers. The level of your shit vs. the level of whatever you’re pointing your hands at. For me this just didn’t hold my interest.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
good roleplaying is playing your role well

e.g. fighting like a world class martial artist when you control ryu in super street fighter iv

imagine if ryu had to level up to be able to hadoken, if the game has that then you wouldn't be roleplaying ryu 100%

therefore stats get in the way of good roleplaying

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lightknight said:
In other news : Penny Arcade guys dont really know what an RPG is.
I only wish actually playing the game was more fun.

There’s just nothing to the combat. Killing a cave full of vampires is cool because at the end I got a rad sword but actually fighting them was pretty boring. Fighting shit in Skyrim isn’t about how well you can manipulate your controller, it’s about numbers. The level of your shit vs. the level of whatever you’re pointing your hands at. For me this just didn’t hold my interest.

That's not "the Penny Arcade guys". It's Mike Krahulik (aka "Gabe"), the dumber, popamoler of the two. (He's the illustrator)
Jerry Holkins aka Tycho (the writer) is relatively cool, he could have been a Codexer in another life.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom