Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim is worse than Oblivion in every way

MetalCraze

Arcane
Saying that you need to time attacks in Skyrim is bullshit

Also you must avoid blocking.

With blocking you still get damage but enemy gets none
When you just blindly twitch LMB enemy gets all the shit coming his way while also blocking which means he skips his attack but gets damage regardless.

Why the fuck people pretend there is something in this game when clearly there isn't? Skyrim:Roleplaying much?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
MetalCraze said:

When you just blindly twitch LMB enemy gets all the shit coming his way while also blocking which means he skips his attack but gets damage regardless.

You were unable to discern the benefits of blocking/waiting for enemies to stop blocking? :lol:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I don't understand the finishers. They just seem to happen randomly when the enemy is one hit away from death anyway, and sometimes I can get hit with a glancing blow while at full health and next thing I know my character's doing a stupid death backflip while being dramatically impaled on a sword that's not touching him. Actually, my character dies in a few hits no matter what in general.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Phage said:
You were unable to discern the benefits of blocking/waiting for enemies to stop blocking? :lol:

There were benefits to wasting time instead of killing a completely harmless blocking enemy?

agaetis

Novice
MetalCraze said:
Saying that you need to time attacks in Skyrim is bullshit

Why the fuck people pretend there is something in this game when clearly there isn't? Skyrim:Roleplaying much?

you don't NEED to time attacks, but if you do you will finish the fight a lot faster.

and this isn't zelda, blocking only reduces damage taken. :thumbsup:

Gerrard

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
I don't understand the finishers. They just seem to happen randomly when the enemy is one hit away from death anyway, and sometimes I can get hit with a glancing blow while at full health and next thing I know my character's doing a stupid death backflip while being dramatically impaled on a sword that's not touching him. Actually, my character dies in a few hits no matter what in general.
The insta-kills seem to be completely random, I got them several times on my first attack, even on some stronger enemies like a bandit leader.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Gerrard said:
-Enemies don't react to being hit
Since Oblivion, staggering enemies has always been a perk of power attacks and two-handed weapons especially. It's a bit silly in some ways but at least it gives you a significant reason to use one in combat over the other (and helps balance out the advantage a shield gives you).

Gerrard said:
- Blocking with weapon does nothing
Pretty sure there are perks which decrease blocking fatigue and increase its effectiveness, while adding stuff like shield bashes to the mix. But yeah, let's complain about an RPG having skill progression.

MetalCraze

Arcane
agaetis said:
you don't NEED to time attacks, but if you do you will finish the fight a lot faster.
A lot faster than 3-5 seconds it takes to take down an average enemy that doesn't fight back when blocking provided you don't get random "LOOK KEWL FINISHING MOVE" instakill? lol

So I herd the combat is leik in Dark Messiah

Darkflame

Scholar
I gotta say for all the crap I gave Bethesda over oblivion, they really did a much better job this time. To their credit they didn't hype it outrageously like they did with Oblivion, and the game is much more comparable to Morrowind with regards to depth.

Besides the fully abysmal interface I have a few gripes but overall I'm enjoying the game alot. Well done Bethesda I'm surprised it's better than expected.

Edit: Open the console '~' and type "set timescale to 4" is a must.

crufty

Arcane
My kill cam shots tend to happen on the last monster in a "mob".

I find blocking to be very useful. When "raiding" a corsair boat, I was able to sneak attack the first few. Then I was discovered, and I was able to use the bow block to knock a corsair back off the top level of the dock, enough to fire a few shots. As the corsair advanced up the stairs, using a shield to block and a dagger to attack enabled me to fight to the finish wout potions.

The only way I have been able to win a few fights is archery abuse.

I am not sure if there is headshot detection, but I have had more then a few insta kills with nice arrows penetrating the head. And gruesome rag doll slumpings off chairs stc.

I find the pause while switching weapons reveals all kinds of interesting attack stills, guys pulling knives from their cloaks etc, that I would not notice otherwise.

In the solitude dungeon quests, at one point it was a frantic free for all, just wild blocking and striking. I had lured a few of the mob off their tower, snuck in and was making my way thru to the boss, when the rest of the mob returned, summoning and raising. I like sneaking around in light armor, arrow notched. It is more Conan like then I would have thought.

I have had several tpk as I inadvertently corner myself and get gutted. Those damn protection from arrow spells SUCK.

Also there is this one frostbite spider that got the jump on me and I had to sneak around it to get to the quest area.

If there is one thing that would be cool in the ai, is unseen assailant mode, where if my arrows wiz by, intelligent (ie not undead) creatures hide themselves instead of standing there. The game would be very difficult but maybe enjoyably so.

No complaints, I like the difficulty.

match000

Novice
so what's the deal with this "skyway" guy - is this some meme i've missed out on.

on topic: i like skyrim - i like it as an action FPS turned into RPG, not a real RPG. However, I have not played it more than a few times, because I cannot bring myself to have to clunk my way through the terrible console-UI.

How can so many PC gamers be buying this ? Bethesda seems to have almost done this terrible UI on purpose... out of spite (seriously, there is no way their programmers played this game on a PC and said: this is shippable)! And they still buy it? !!

Hines, do what you want, but you're not getting MY money.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
crufty said:
No complaints, I like the difficulty.

Me too. I just had an endboss fight which was simply too hard - the end of the labyrinthian.

:x

I will come back later and burn this motherfucker!

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
the thieves guild questline is actually a bit of an incline over what I've been doing so far. Probably because it's about thieves doing sensible things to make a profit and not OMG LOOK EPIX!

msxyz

Augur
Skyrim dungeons are better crafted but, gamewise, bland... most of them are intricate corridors and nothing more. Oblivion ruins were more interesting to explore, if a bit empty (not to mention the levelled enemies and loot everywhere)

On this front Bethesda listened to the complaints, try to understand them but failed in another aspect.

Gerrard

Arcane
sea said:
Gerrard said:
- Blocking with weapon does nothing
Pretty sure there are perks which decrease blocking fatigue and increase its effectiveness, while adding stuff like shield bashes to the mix. But yeah, let's complain about an RPG having skill progression.
It's not a progression when it's either 0 or 1. Maybe it's useful when you have 100 block and all the perks, but I won't find out.

serch said:
Level up the difficulty, you'll need to block. Also when you block they stagger
If you level up the difficulty, you'll get 1 shotted through block.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Don't forget. Sea also LARPs that in Skyrim NPCs have scale from disliking you to liking you. No wonder it has skill "progression"

Hmm I guess I understand now how people can find this horrible piece of shit to be a good game.

If you will keep heavily pretending that every primitive thing in it has complexity that in reality isn't there. But unfortunately you need to be a TES fanboy for that or simply a sheeple that swallowed multimillion Skyrim hype campaign.

Basically:

A combat where you can beat enemies much faster and easier by just blindly twitching LMB = a deep combat system where you need to time your attacks and is in fact on par with Dark Messiah

Doing a quest for NPCs for which they give you rewards = NPCs liking you

All quests not involving eliminating the random dungeon being nothing but deliver X from A to B = interactions with NPCs

Getting exactly the same reward at the very first encountered quest with 2 fake options = deep C&C encountered in all of Skyrim

The only NPC that tells you about a direction to Whiterun which is already marked on your map and following you 5m to a bridge = the game has a lot of things from Gothic throughout all of Skyrim and can be played without quest compass (even though nobody else will give you directions ever again)

Completely linear dungeons with reused assets and 1-2 unique rooms = handcrafted unique dungeons

I guess you need to keep telling yourself these things to not feel like an idiot (but it makes you look like one)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
MetalCraze said:
Don't forget. Sea also LARPs that in Skyrim NPCs have scale from disliking you to liking you. No wonder it has skill "progression"
I do?

To be fair that was an early impression which was proven wrong. I assumed there was a hidden reaction mechanic still in the game, like in previous Elder Scrolls. Turns out there isn't, but hey, that's why they're early impressions. That said, there are still factions, and siding with the Empire or the Stormcloaks seems like a big decision - wouldn't be surprised if one turns the other factions hostile and might even make some cities impossible to visit without fighting. Will have to experiment later but for now I'm just exploring around and leveling up on my own.

Killed my first giant at around level 13. Was quite a fight, only actually won by exploiting the terrain (hopping up on some rocks). Sadly that tactic still works, at least if an enemy is melee-only. However, some fights are near-impossible for my character. Got into a pretty crazy mage duel that lasted close to 10 minutes because the enemy kept healing and I didn't have enough mana potions to keep recharging. I must have died like 5+ times to the guy's lightning attacks, and I burned through nearly all my potions.

I got to Windhelm but I'm finding the city pretty empty. I've only run into one or two quests. Maybe it's more related to the story missions because it's Ulfric's town, who knows. Slowly making my way to the College of Magi to see about getting some decent spells - walking the whole way because it's more interesting and because taking the carriage kind of feels like a cheat to me. Wish they had a more extensive travel network instead of fast travel.

Raapys

Arcane
Of course they did. They dumbed everything down even more than Oblivion, they just did a better job at hiding it. That's why so many are praising it despite it having pretty much all the faults Oblivion did and some additional ones.

racofer

Thread Incliner
J83VC.jpg

7BJsl.jpg

MAJESTIC!

Kraszu

Prophet
crufty said:
I like on the codex some rage at the questcompass and the others rage at how hard it is to find random quest locations.

Makes perfect sense, just because you don't want quest compass it doesn't mean that you don't want directions, that was one of the complains as everybody was expecting that even if you could turn the quest compass off, the game will be build around it anyway.

Kraszu said:
crufty said:
I like on the codex some rage at the questcompass and the others rage at how hard it is to find random quest locations.

Makes perfect sense, just because you don't want quest compass it doesn't mean that you don't want directions, that was one of the complains as everybody was expecting that even if you could turn the quest compass off, the game will be build around it anyway.

Also, people have different opinions

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom