Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim's Greatest Feature Yet

Ammar

Scholar
serch said:
I mean, I tend to choose thief-like characters, so imagine I find a knight of doom and I level up before engaging, I chose a + 15 to my sneak ability and get full health, let’s say I was at 50 %, then proceed to cleanly cut his throat. Otherwise, I could choose not to level up and proceed to sneak, he sees me and charges towards me. I spent two arrows while he get close and then engage in a fight longsword vs dagger, he loose a 30 % of his health, I loose 25 % of mine and decide to level up to get full health again. He stills manage to take another 50 % of my health before dying, what did I manage here? This is not true is levelling up do nothing because the whole world levels up with you or the benefits of levelling up are marginal so that’s why I talked about level scaling in my first post, perhaps I should have included very marginal benefits in levelling up, too. :salute:

You would need to have pretty few levels if each makes such a difference, though. For example, do you really think a D&D Level 5 fighter is so much more effective in combat that a free-full heal (after which you fight at the increased level!) makes a difference for the better? No.

In fact, the only situation where levelling up first would work in your advantage is it gave you an option to devastate the enemy with a first strike, by sneaking as you describe or by giving some sort of nuke spell. But even in a well designed levelling system this is unrealistic for melee warrior types and almost impossibly unlikely to happen at every level. Just try to find an example, you probably won't find one where this works out consistently.

serch

Magister
In D&D 4th ed, yes, i would be right. In 1th, 2th and 3th ed choose anything but a fighter and i would be right too

edit: even with a fighter (1, 2, 3 ed) it would still be better to level up immediately to avoid save or die fails

Ammar

Scholar
Just no. Talking just about Editions 1 to 3 with a Thief you would only be right if you were the magic border where you NEED those points for an sucessful sneak attack.

For a mage there are some levels where a pre-buff like Stoneskin gets available which will make the difference, but in almost every case getting all your health and your spells refreshed in mid battle would be more powerful. Even neglecting that even a new spell level won't always offer this, it does not apply for those level-ups where you don't get a new spell level. Same for cleric. I really doubt that it works in 4th Edition, but I have played it too little.

As for saves, first not every level-up increases saves (at least not all) and secondly, there is no save-or-die every encounter. And even if, it makes a difference of about 5%. But by all means try it out.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
FUCKING CUNTS THIS IS A GOD DAMN HIKING SIMULATOR NOT FALLOUT 1 MOVE THIS FUCKING SHIT TO GENERAL DISCUSSION!

RageFace.png

- Edit: See what you fucking did? I got so pissed I said the wrong forum. Change "Discussion" to "Gaming".

Gord

Arcane
First regarding the level scaling, consider this:
If there is level scaling (I guess there is, as it has been present in all Beth games I played, i.e. Morrowind onwards), it won't affect an ongoing fight, as the the level of the enemies will be fixed until they respawn, which is unlikely to happen during a fight. Unless Bethesda has completely changed their mechanics regarding level-scaling and respawn.

Second, TES is a learning-by-doing system, you won't have skills to rise during level up, so no sudden increase in your abilities (with the possible exception of gaining perks).

And finally, for what it's worth, it sounds like some hack&slay like mechanic where you regain full health/mana on level up, only in a more controlled way. Not fitting for a "true" rpg, imho, but that's anyway nothing you will find in a Bethesda game nowadays.

serch

Magister
Ammar said:
Just no. Talking just about Editions 1 to 3 with a Thief you would only be right if you were the magic border where you NEED those points for an sucessful sneak attack.

Sorry, this is not the case, you can investigate it yourself. I don't have the energy to keep this going on unless you have a special interest in me giving you some other examples. Anyway, I think that what i'm trying to say is clear now whether you agree with it or not.

Ammar

Scholar
serch said:
Ammar said:

Sorry, this is not the case, you can investigate it yourself. I don't have the energy to keep this going on unless you have a special interest in me giving you some other examples. Anyway, I think that what i'm trying to say is clear now wether you agree with it or not.

As you wish. I am still right, though. :smug:

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
serch said:
In before we compare our strategies in skyrim even when no codexer is going to play it.

- I will be thoroughly enjoying this hiking simulator on my superior Xbox 360 console.

DraQ

Arcane
serch said:
In D&D 4th ed, yes, i would be right. In 1th, 2th and 3th ed choose anything but a fighter and i would be right too

edit: even with a fighter (1, 2, 3 ed) it would still be better to level up immediately to avoid save or die fails

Except Skyrim will not have D&Dish spell memorization nor instakills that matter, so only stealthy characters may find it beneficial to level up right away (because of access to curb-stomp mechanics), and only for few, crucial levels providing desirable perks.
Even then it will still depend on HP bloat - it would be horrible, but wouldn't surprise me if the HP bloat would be high enough to prevent instakill even with 15x backstab.

A bit of a shame, really - stick perk mechanics, wielding style and elemental side effects on top of cleaned up Morrowind and you'd have a superb game and worthy TES title. Here you will have derped down oblivion.

Edit:
I also find all skills contributing to level up a welcome change (and obvious solution to some exploits), but it should be used in conjunction with initial builds, not replace them.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stinger said:
Only Bethesda would call Broken Mechanics a feature. Next they'll say that the Radiant AI doing stupid shit is a feature.

It's pretty common in a lot of games and only "broken" to realism fags who should stop playing games altogether.

There are only two things wrong with skyrim so far that are not the direct result of console limitations: lack of attributes, and lack of spellmaking. Bitching about shit like the above just reveals to most sane people and any developer that might otherwise be sympathetic to people disappointed with newer games that you're all a bunch of crazy schizo fucks not worth listening to.

serch

Magister
DraQ said:
Except Skyrim will not have D&Dish spell memorization nor instakills that matter, so only stealthy characters may find it beneficial to level up right away (because of access to curb-stomp mechanics), and only for few, crucial levels providing desirable perks.

I expect these perks to be of similar importance for all kind of characters like, i dont know, a stun-charge for warriors, but this is Bethesda here, so who knows?

DraQ said:
Here you will have derped down oblivion.

i derp them, i mean i dare them to dumb down oblivion.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Stinger said:
Only Bethesda would call Broken Mechanics a feature. Next they'll say that the Radiant AI doing stupid shit is a feature.

Well, there's already people thinking that bugs in "RADIANT STORY" (WTF???) should be included as features. So there you go. Bethesda is only as retarded as its fans are. Or is it the other way around? Eh.

Random

Arcane
Patron
DragoFireheart said:
FUCKING CUNTS THIS IS A GOD DAMN HIKING SIMULATOR NOT FALLOUT 1 MOVE THIS FUCKING SHIT TO GENERAL DISCUSSION!

RageFace.png

- Edit: See what you fucking did? I got so pissed I said the wrong forum. Change "Discussion" to "Gaming".

No, no I think you were right the first time. :smug:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
RPG GAEM DEVELOPEER SAYS RESTORATION WHEN LVL UP IS GUD WORST GAEM EVAR MOV 2 GG THIS NOT RPG!!!! THIS DELCINE IS Y CODEX EXIST!!!! BLOBERT WHERE ART THOU???

curry

Arcane
someone else said:
RPG GAEM DEVELOPEER SAYS RESTORATION WHEN LVL UP IS GUD WORST GAEM EVAR MOV 2 GG THIS NOT RPG!!!! THIS DELCINE IS Y CODEX EXIST!!!! BLOBERT WHERE ART THOU???

So, what's Todd Howard's cock like?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
curry said:
someone else said:

So, what's Todd Howard's cock like?

Todd Howard's what?

The real cocksucking here is that not only did someone feel the need to make an entire topic on this stupid shit but this actually has more than twice the posts of the Magic Candle thread. despite being 4 days younger. It's funny how you worthless faggots spend so much time trashing games you'll never play but spend so little time on games you might actually like. It's like a guy with a 10 inch dick in the middle of an orgy crying that he'll never get laid. :rpgcodex:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Tel Velothi said:
serch said:
In before we compare our strategies in skyrim even when no codexer is going to play it.

Rrrrrright...

I for one will not only be playing it but going full Skyway and finishing it 7 times. I'm working on another Oblivion play-through as we speak in fact.

Grimlorn

Arcane
serch said:
What are you talking about the Codex loves Skyrim. Why do you think threads like these keep getting made? People don't give shit they don't like this kind of attention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom