Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Skyward Collapse

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Skywayward Collapse was just released today. This is the first I've heard of it but it looks like a p. interesting 4X/godgame with a medieval setting from the makers of AI war. Anyone tried it yet? Thoughts? Comments?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/238890/

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh concept looks nice, gotta try this one. Not enough god games nowadays.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looks pretty good, but I'll wait a Codex (tacticular cancer?) review or something before testing it. I have so many games to finish already.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Looks interesting, but also like it could get pretty simple/click-fest after a while, hard to tell from the video/screens. I'll also wait for a review or two from trusted sources(though it is cheap...). I like AI War a lot, but that game has a ton of depth, challenge, and replayability, whereas this seems a bit of a smaller scale game, who knows.

Deakul

Augur
This game was made in 2 months and had lax pre-release testing, I'm done giving Arcen money really.
They've been releasing a new game every few months since A Valley Without Wind and they've all been total rush jobs.

DakaSha

Arcane
This game was made in 2 months and had lax pre-release testing, I'm done giving Arcen money really.
They've been releasing a new game every few months since A Valley Without Wind and they've all been total rush jobs.

Yes. I used to be an arcen fanboy.

Fuckem

Multi-headed Cow

Oh. Should've looked in the strategy forum. I bought this. After I get some more play in (Only done 2-3ish hours) I'll write up a post. Initial impression is pretty unique and cool. I took a picture of my stupidity and I share it with you. Built two opposing towns right near one another for some dumb reason. I'm fairly sure it was because I thought I could keep them walled off and just producing resources. Didn't end up that way. Shit went down.

Actually might do a short LP of this 'cause it's weird enough it deserves a little showing off. Arcen might be a speedy shitfactory now, but this game might be my favorite of theirs so far. (having played extremely little ai war and haven't played shattered haven yet)

B92DA29F0934444320339824DDA78977E2932111

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I tried the demo. Not a huge fan of the 'play versus yourself' schtick. A Valley Without Wind and it's reincarnation/sequel bombed and they rush this out the door. Must be desperate for cash.

DakaSha

Arcane
Since nobody gave real impression i bought game. Playing now.

Will tell if shit or god tier game

DakaSha

Arcane
Man my initial impression from my limited playing is that this game is pretty fucking awesome. At least in concept. Def to early to be sure about it, and i wont play anymore until the new patch is released (later today) but this seems cool so far.

It does the same thing that ai war does. It says: ok well making good AI is impossible so lets just create a concept that doesnt need it.

You dont really play against yourself. There is a goal. I havent played enough to determine whether its implemented well but the game seems to be getting arcens typical post release support and my hopes are pretty high

OH LORD PLEASE DO NOT DISAPPOINT ME

i really want to regain my trust in arcen

edit: o. update is released lel. Ok lets see if this really isnt just a pile of steaming dung

DakaSha

Arcane
edit: o. update is released lel. Ok lets see if this really isnt just a pile of steaming dung
Well?

Its been less than a day.

Having said that: from what can tell the premise is great and at times the game is really engaging but there is one glaring fault. You do the same fucking thing every turn.
Essentially the game is the equivalent of when you would set up army men or use legos or some shit as a child to create a war, only here the pieces actually do go to war, and there is a goal of sorts. Its cool.
There just arent enough options and i see myself doing pretty much the same thing every turn, however ive only played int he first 'round' (game gets more complex as your progress through the three rounds)

The game was obviously rushed but not from a polish perspective. its very good for how quickly it was made and how little it costs. Hes planning some kind of 2.0 version (which im sure is free) and an expansion (not free) for the next 2 month and i have pretty high hopes.

Honestly, for the 5 bucks i say buy it. I do enjoy it. I just need breaks pretty often.

Again i have only had this for under a day. I dont regret my purchase but my enjoyment could go down the 'meh' route or the 'oh wow there is a lot more to it than i thought' route. No idea.

DakaSha

Arcane
Man one thing about arcen/the lead designer: You mention something that could be made better about a game and that bro is ON IT. You will get a response and it will be looked into/implemented if it make sense.

edit:

next version,
Randomized Starting Map States!

• Except for the tutorial map, which is static as it always has been, all of the other map types are now completely randomized in terms of their starting positions of land, town centers, and so forth.
    • As has been pointed out, this makes the early part of the game way more interesting and varied. It makes a surprisingly huge difference actually, so it's surprising that nobody (to our recollection) brought this up before today.
    • Thanks to DakaSha for suggesting
    • well whether i end up really liking this title or not, i def remember why i liked this company so much, although im confused as to why this wasnt so from the beginning lol

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I liked the concept when I read about it, but it kinda blows when I actually started to play it. The concept of playing against yourself isn't quite so good because you very rarely get into a situation where you feel you're challenged simply because you're essentially in control of what happens most of the time.

I dunno, I feel like the concept looked amazing on paper, but just didn't translate well into an actual game.

DakaSha

Arcane
I don't know if the game is 'good' yet but i think you are missing the point tbh. You cant tell me that playing with all settings on hard and with 30 or less turns to meet the point requirements isnt challenging. The goal isnt to survive or to beat the bandits. Its to fuck over both nations as hard as you possibly can without losing.

Its a high score game. Not a 4x

edit: and you are not in control at all? The whole challenge arises from the randomness that creates imbalance between the nations. It honestly sounds like you played only the tutorial or with easy settings and/or no point goal.

Its fully arguable whether or not the game is 'fun' or good but i think understanding the game is a requirement before making that assesment

edit: actually when looking through the forums on steam or even this thread it seems like the designer needs to explain things better. Even MHC up there seems to think that the 2 fighting eachother is a mistake.. it isnt. Thats the whole point. You want them to fight as much as possible, without one taking over the other.

If your goal is to keep the two from fighting then yes the game has no challenge, however you will also get no points. Its the equivalent of standing in place in super mario brothers, refusing to move right, and then claiming the game has no challange

Multi-headed Cow

Even MHC up there seems to think that the 2 fighting eachother is a mistake.. it isnt.
No, I knew they were supposed to fight. I just kinda fucked up thinking those cities specifically wouldn't get pulled into the fighting when they did, and I had to start producing units in them.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I played one tutorial game and while I like the concept I am not impressed by the fact that I have to do EVERYTHING. Letting AI build the economy and basic units while leaving the magic stuff to the player would be way more fun in my opinion.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I played one tutorial game and while I like the concept I am not impressed by the fact that I have to do EVERYTHING. Letting AI build the economy and basic units while leaving the magic stuff to the player would be way more fun in my opinion.

My thoughts too. I actually thought that was how the game worked initially, considering the game seemed to make a lot of fuss over humans having free will.

DakaSha

Arcane

Thats my main complaint. having to build everything just feels tedius.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom