Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Getting nothing but shit games since hitting platinum. Which is weird, 'cause I'm pretty sure I'm still playing with people with the same elo as before, but the games have been dreadful lately. Oh well, back to doing anything else again.

He did make up for later though

So I played a game as support Sona (since it's easiest thing to play and its on rotation), had no fucking idea what I'm doing, spent half the time browsing through shop looking for something useful to buy (btw I love new support items, like that ruby stone or whatever with free wards and that golden orb with move speed active and gold gain for other peoples last hits, also extra item slot for consumables, very nice), hit wrong keys all the time, wasted ult like 3 times, had to look at keyboard to look for flash key etc. Still went like 6/5/1X (granted my team was better than theirs, can't claim I carried or anything). Dat ELO decay. Though I didn't expect to have jungler, adc with me in bottom lane and AP mid, back in the olden days scrubs weren't this organised. Must be all those twitch streams.

If you don't follow the meta, people will threaten to burn down your mother.

Erzherzog

Magister
So I played a game as support Sona (since it's easiest thing to play and its on rotation), had no fucking idea what I'm doing, spent half the time browsing through shop looking for something useful to buy (btw I love new support items, like that ruby stone or whatever with free wards and that golden orb with move speed active and gold gain for other peoples last hits, also extra item slot for consumables, very nice), hit wrong keys all the time, wasted ult like 3 times, had to look at keyboard to look for flash key etc. Still went like 6/5/1X (granted my team was better than theirs, can't claim I carried or anything). Dat ELO decay. Though I didn't expect to have jungler, adc with me in bottom lane and AP mid, back in the olden days scrubs weren't this organised. Must be all those twitch streams.

Yeah the end result of the S4 support changes were great. Support is open to many champs but I feel mages are a little over-represented*. Support is definitely as fun to play as any other lane now so when faggots go "I can't support" I don't know why. You can play such a variety of styles as support now and there's plenty of overlap such as the "pick" supps like Morg and Thresh having the same core of a good Q winning a trade and yet one is a pure mage while the other is essentially a tank.

*as much as I love mages they're becoming far too prevalent. 3 Mages are in competitive meta top lane, mid laane AD assassins are pretty much gone vice Yasuo who is some assassin/fighter/carry hybrid, and supports see plenty of mages and tanks but the core supports are pretty much muscled out vice Nami and kinda sorta Sona. Hell you even have Elise as a fulltime jungler and Fiddlesticks is decently popular in yoloqueue.

As for Gnar. fuck that guy. Rito has failed 3 times to properly balance transform champions. All signs point to seven kills on a champion being overkill but now, they continue to try. This includes champions like Thresh or Yasuo who have so many multiuse parts of abilities that they're really more than one. Especially Yasuo's passive. I am so fucking mad that Yasuo has 2 passives and no one gives a shit.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Something that has been intriguing to me is how people keep claiming immobile mid laners are not competitively viable (like Brand, Veigar etc.), but three of the most dominant picks right now have no escapes at all: Syndra, Orianna (disregarding the speed up) and Xerath.

Renegen

Arcane
Hahaha a ranged, seven abilities resourceless Yordle top laner with % health damage and mobility. It's good to hate your playerbase.

EDIT : 150 range, so that's something.
400 range actually and it rises to 500 by level 18. I played once with him, only in bot games because carrying permabads in PBE is annoying, he was oddly fun. During the mid game, his passive charges up fully in barely 10-15 seconds, it's crazy! He's a very weird one, his kit is totally crazy, he gets tons of free stats, like 80% free ASPD in CUTE mode or a Randuins + BF in ANGRY mode. His build will be Youmoos and then full tank, calling it now. Then Youmoo's will get nerfed.

Erzherzog

Magister
Something that has been intriguing to me is how people keep claiming immobile mid laners are not competitively viable (like Brand, Veigar etc.), but three of the most dominant picks right now have no escapes at all: Syndra, Orianna (disregarding the speed up) and Xerath.

Xerath has what amounts to a point and click stun in his E, pro players can pretty much depend on Syndra's combo to stun and both of those champs are pretty much the longest range mids. Both can just farm from a range that any incoming gank will be obvious.

Orianna has quite possibly the best ult in the game so I think regardless of laning she will be a popular choice.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Man. From plat2 all the way back to plat4 with awesome performance from last 20 games that got me there (4 wins-16 losses) I picked up jungle again and got much better results. Supported when I had to. Mainly Triforce/Gauntlet Malphite and some Naut/Maokai plays got me back again to plat 2.
Naut so much fun to play.
Also now that new mana cost on Gragas W is fucking gay. Constatly out of mana eventho I go with flat mana regen seals, dont have this much mana issue with Blitz, ffs. rito plz

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Haven't really played since the new patch, but I'm assuming that most of that is probably the old reflexes of "oh i'm only 99% hp right now, better spam W and sustain forever" coupled with the reflexes of the quick WE in, right?
Looked like both of these would be a bad idea from the patch notes.

I'm hoping they'll reverse this and hit him elsewhere instead if they absolutely have to nerf somewhere. Makes no sense, especially in the light of recent mana cost removals on other champs.

Last edited:

Renegen

Arcane
Gragas top lane was pretty broken, one of the very few champs to have self sustain (like Nidalee, Yorick, Kayle) but also resourceless, can you say broken! The barrel rolls were equally stupid. I'm not sure if the nerfs are even done on him, he has high base damages, but they were needed so badly it almost felt like a hotfix.

I discovered that the new Team Builder options have added 6 shiny icons to collect, you have to play a total of 30 games to get them all. Anybody else wants to duo? I don't even care about losing, my last ranked game had a 21/4 smurf Katarina, fastest mechanics I've ever seen.

Erzherzog

Magister
I'd be up for it. Do we even have anyone else thats still on NA? I could use the practice anyways butdon't have much time for grind.

In other news, my coworkers are organizing a ranked 5s team. Que the hilarity.

Jozoz

Prophet
I'm participating in the 1v1 Fiddlesticks tournament. It's basically for high elo Fiddlesticks mains. I've been thinking out a strategy and testing them against fellow Fiddlesticks mains and it seems to be working out nicely. It will be an immense amount of fun. We even have a challenger and numerous Diamond 1 Fiddle mains here. I feel like a scrub for only being Diamond 2 :(

I think the price is $100 with donations being added onto that.

Here is the bracket (I'm icrywheniwee):

http://challonge.com/meuym9ld

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Dude i swear to god fan made content in league is fucking retarded. With a few exceptions like seth and paws tv ofc.

My jimmies are officially rustled

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
I'm participating in the 1v1 Fiddlesticks tournament. It's basically for high elo Fiddlesticks mains. I've been thinking out a strategy and testing them against fellow Fiddlesticks mains and it seems to be working out nicely. It will be an immense amount of fun. We even have a challenger and numerous Diamond 1 Fiddle mains here. I feel like a scrub for only being Diamond 2 :(

Good luck! Piece of sheet isn't competing himself? Shame, that guy is damned scary on Fiddle. What's your strategy?

Jozoz

Prophet

Good luck! Piece of sheet isn't competing himself? Shame, that guy is damned scary on Fiddle. What's your strategy?

No he said the host shouldn't participate.

My strategy is to run TP/Ignite and try to push the wave as much as possible.

When I have to back I will place my ward at my blue buff and tp to it after I back. That way I get back into lane with blue and a a nice exp advantage.

It's really a complex 1v1 matchup since you have 2 ways of interrupting the other guys Drain. It's absolutely intense.

The strategy is immense. For example if you see the other guy with Smite you can bet he is going to go for blue at lvl 1. In that case you HAVE to start E to push the wave to his tower and get lvl 2 before he comes back into lane or you'll be severely behind.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
It takes time to learn it.
I watched a bit of International (the noob stream) and still cant get my head around it.
Specially retarded stuff like denying creeps and turrets. My mind is all like "why ffs, like you dont have other more fun things to do in the game". There are other Mobas to play and if I ever decide to jump on another one, it wont be Dota 2 for sure.

Renegen

Arcane
Denying exists in dota2 because their laning phase is lame. Five spells and you're oom, turning speed and frequent 2v1s means there is little interaction between players. Not sure if dotafans will admit to it though.

Also did 4 out of 5 games so far with Yorick "tank". At least it's a better role designation than the Jayce tank and Udyr mage I've seen so far. I've been picking Triforce on him every game, it's so much more impactful than Iceborn Gauntlet. In general Iceborn Gauntlet seems weak, it's bad on Nidalee too and I'm pretty sure Hecarim, you need very high base damages to make use of it. Had some fun games with him, one where I went Hydra and split pushed all game, another where I'd get caught, pop ult and net 2 kills. Also finally getting comfortable with taking teleport every game, it's pretty lame to see your enemy stick in lane with 200 hp because you have 0 burst, but hopefully junglers will get better at tower diving.

Last edited:

Erzherzog

Magister
Fuck it, let's just switch to Infinite Crisis. (lulz)

For reals though, if I ever leave League it sounds like Dawngate is the only one I might actually enjoy.

I hear Heroes of Newerth is taking its last breaths...

EDIT: Practicing Kassaderp in team builder because they made changes that mean theoretically I'm not playing with low golds anymore. In stead it was high silvers. Oh well, gave me hope because I laned well and we won pretty handidly. Makes me feel like I can easily escape low silver once I get my laning mechanics to where I can win lane almost always. But as for Kassadin, build tips please? I went with RoA+Tear+Lucidity Boots+Zhoynas+Lich Bane+Void Staff. I liked it but I hear he's supposed to be built tankier now, but what I mostly see is IBG, so do I swap out my Lich for it, no point in double sheen right?

Besides that, I'm on another win streak so I'm getting 20+ LP for wins again, I just might leave silver 5 faster than expected.

Also, broke down and bought Rengar. Popular pro pick, popular yoloqueue pick, but seems like everyone uses a different build. I guess I'll figure out my style. Buying Nunu next, so that should go down tomorrow since its only 450 IP.

And finally, my coworkers have started a ranked 5s team, look out world. I know that I'm on it but I don't know where they want me to play. Personally I would change a couple picks but we're nothing better than low silver at best so who gives a fuck? Full steam ahead.

Last edited:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Kassa doesnt need to be tanky if he's fed. RoA should be enough.
Rengo needs good mechanics and good timing. Its like that Lee Sin/Elise curse, either you have mad skills and you're able to carry to the late game or you completely suck at them.
If you fall behind you're fucked.

Nunu is always a strong jungle pick, even with mediocre play you can dominate their jungler early/mid game where late game he turns into another support.
One of the easiest junglers to play in the game and his snowballs hurt like hell at lv9. Didnt play him in a while, usually derp with him at Euw lv13 smurf.

Anybody else seen Amumu carrys? Every mumu I'm up against lately goes AP and magpen with some tanky items thrown in late game.

Spellcaster I'll spam the Dota thread if I decide to derp a bit in Dota2.

Edit: Just played a game with Nunu, p stronk. Made their Xin my bitch.

Last edited:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Dude i swear to god fan made content in league is fucking retarded. With a few exceptions like seth and paws tv ofc.

My jimmies are officially rustled

So cringeworthy, I stopped watching out of embarassment 30 seconds in.

Also, as for the Dota 2 / LoL debate, as someone who started on Dota 2 and then migrated, here's my 2 cents:

Dota 2 requires you to manage a lot more active items than LoL, which I personally don't like / am not capable of doing.
Dota 2 often requires you to manage a shit ton of units at once, which I personally don't like / am not capable of doing.
Dota 2 seems to have carried over some nonsense shit from the Warcraft 3 days, like turn speed (and why the fuck is there a "secret shop"?), and obscure mechanics like stacking jungle camps (Dota 2 jungling in general always seemed really hermetic to me).
Dota 2 supports are ward spambots, while LoL supports can now actually feel some character progression during the game.
Dota 2 map is effing huge, and there are way too many moments where you're doing nothing but cruising around the map.
On Dota 2 it feels specially painful to purchase consumables (fuck town portals), considering you have to complete items before dying since you lose a shit load of gold upon death.
On Dota 2 people expect you to be able to play just about every single champion. I used to spam undying and people I met in game were like "oh man you need to start playing something different", how about no, I like playing this hero and fuck you
LoL has a more varied hero/champion design (yes, I know quite a few champions have abilities copied from dota 2, but the rest of them are quite different).
LoL is continuously evolving to become more balanced, diminishing snowballing (making 1 mistake at 5 minutes and you lose the game is not fun) and increasing windows for counterplay, which reduces the amount of noninteractive "get wrecked" moments.

That said, I can recognize (and accept) that some people just preffer Dota 2, specially because they see a few of theses points as actual strong points for it, specially the first 2. Oh and Dota 2 seems to have a better community, with less children, and in game voice chat.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom