Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
You're in denial, bro. There is some truth to what you said: if you're just a little better than the people you're playing with (or about on par and improving slowly) you're going to have to grind your way out of your elo. If you're considerably better, you'll always fly out of it. This is hard to quantify, but it's safe to say that if you really deserved to be on the next division you'd be crushing people on the lower tiers of the previous one (e.g. gold-3 level player will usually demolish players in silver 3-5). Regarding the bronze 5 comment, a silver player will absolutely thrive and get out of there ASAP.

And yes, platinum player will absolutely steamroll silver and gold elo, there's no question of that. I'm a platinum player at heart (though I've gotten diamond 5 in two seasons now - hu3 server helps) and I dumpster silver as a support. As you get a little better in the game you start seeing and abusing these people's mistakes more clearly and, to be perfectly honest, most gold players I've come accross act retardedly agressive in lane, it's so dumb it hurts to watch. Of course, if you suck, you're not going to be able to punish that, you'll miss your skillshots and so on and the retard will get away with his aggression and generate a lead for himself (that's how he got to gold, he abuses the other bad players; that's why he won't get past gold, he gets abused by better players).

You think you can play with people at a better elo because you're better than your current stock of teammates and that the game just doesn't favor climbing, right? You aren't and you don't. If you were to be dropped in a division higher than yours, you'd be destroyed like a deer in the headlights, like every other eloboosted player is. Like the guy I sold my account to, poor dude was modest, he didn't even go shopping for a diamond account, he just wanted gold elo because he probably played at silver or bronze and thought exactly as you did, that he deserved better. I checked my account back on lolking after the sale and the match history became littered with losses. I think he dropped so hard he eventually managed to get the account back to silver.

I too am far from being "good". I'm decent at landing skill shots if that's the only thing I have to focus on at the time, but mechanically I'm slow as fuck, I can't dodge anything, I can't make outplays (playing on a potato doesn't help either). I do have a good mind for tactics and strategy, and I'm very good at initiating. That's why I play tanks. Gotta play to your strengths.

Oh regarding the champioon pool comment, for the love of christ, DO NOT try to play a two dozen different champions in 5 different roles. You do not have the time nor the skill to be able to do that, very few people do. Of course if you're just goofing off in the game, play whatever you want. But if you want to climb, pick up a good varied champion pool with 2-4 champions in one role and 2-4 in another, and focus on being profficient with them.

For example, I played:
  • Bard as a generallist support, who's also ranged and a lane bully, while providing great initiation, counter initiation and pick potential (that's whom I blind pick);
  • Tahm kench as a babysitter support to be paired with immobile ADCs / against team comps with large amounts of single target damage or CC (Thresh, Elise, Zed, Rengar, Lux, Morgana, Malzahar, etc.)
  • Braum as a pick with and against Lucian, Ashe and Kog'Maw (all proc his passive with ease, all get denied heavily by his shield), and against teams comps heavy on projectiles that can be blocked by his shield (2 ADC comps in particular are very common right now).
For jungle:
  • Zac as a source of magic damage, tank and initiator
  • Vi as a source of physical damage and single target lockdown
  • There should be a heavier source of sustained magic damage here because full AD teamcomps are so common with Zed being popular and Zac's damage just won't cut it. Could be Elise, Nidalee, Eve, Shyvana and I heard Ao Shin is also a capable jungler.
This is just to give you an idea of what went into the thought behind picking theses champions. Also of note, learn what each item does and in which situation to buy them. Item builds in low elo are almost universally garbage. Until you get a good mind for it, use this: www.probuilds.com and, to a much lesser extent, www.champion.gg

Last edited:

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
BUT FUCK ALL THAT, LOOK AT THIS MAJESTIC MOFO

WajADX5.jpg

GEMS

bloodlover

Arcane
I am curious how his rework will turn out and if he will keep some kind of armor skill. His current kit is shit but with more CC and mobility he might just be good enough for pro plays in this heavy AD meta.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
No support in the game has mobility, support is the role least affected by mobility creep (and that trend has been reversed anyways). I think they said they intended to maintain his armor affinity, but otherwise expect a completely new kit. We'll know tomorrow.

Jozoz

Prophet
The thing that changes the most the higher you get is game knowledge, not mechanics.

And yes a good player can definitely stomp silver elo. A few months ago I decided to get my other account to gold 5 when it had around gold 5 mmr already but was in silver 2 I think.

I played almost only Udyr and this is what happened:

juflBYE.png

Jozoz

Prophet
Normally I play 100% exclusively Fiddlesticks but was able to get to platinum on a smurf with Annie with a 30w/7l ratio.

Game knowledge is by far the most important thing to climb out of the lower elos. I'd argue that in high plat and low diamond it becomes a lot about knowing your champion in and out, but that doesn't matter as much in the lower brackets.

Lucky

Arcane
Question. I used to play a bit of DotA from time to time to relax, but it's been years and I don't think many people play it anymore. Is it worth giving League of Legends and DotA 2 a try? Are they any fun and do they play differently from each other and from the original?

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I played very little DoTa. I was a kid and didn't even buy items on the old warcraft mod.

I don't think Dota 2 is too different from the original except in terms of balance changes and new items, but the game should retain the same feel for you.

League and Dota 2 are very different from each other. I've swapped back and forth between games after extended periods playing one of the other and I can tell you each game felt alien to me when I touched it for the first time in a while. Give both a try, but don't be put off by this weird feeling when you switch from one to the other, it goes away very quickly as you keep playing.

Taric preview up:

http://oce.leagueoflegends.com/en/page/champion-update-taric-shield-valoran

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
They changed his also. He no longer is some alien from a different dimension on his quest for beauty and gems.

Jozoz

Prophet
Another ult that saves people...................................

I'm sick and tired of these anti playmaking abilities.

Kindred, Bard, Tahm, Janna, Kayle, Zilean are already in the game.

Do we really need another?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, it's fucking stupid. They should have left a damage dealing + aggressive buff on him.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
I actually kind of agree, it's too similar to bard ult in some ways. On the other hand, I feel like I'm not doing my job as a support when I play with the ones that lack any sort of defensive maneuvers (like Leona).

The kit itself seems like nothing special really, but I think I'll still try him out.

Lucky

Arcane
I've played a few games of this and overall finding it a fun little diversion. I know nothing about the metagame or what items are best (and no interest in Getting Good), but the core gameplay is identical to DotA so I'm cruising through the bronze rankings. It's weird, the bots I played against as warm up were way better than the people I've played so far.

Things that are different and that I like:
-Ability use is frequent and the increase of mobility powers is fun to tinker with.

-The item list is much more convenient than how you used to have to memorise everything.

Things that are different and that I don't like:
-Unlocking champions is way too expensive. It's clearly build so that you have to pay for them, rather than organically earning enough points as you play.There's no room to try different characters and see what suits me.

-Stupid fluff. I have no idea why it's there because it is terrible to a fault. Same goes for the merchandise they keep shoving in my face.

-Respawning is way too quick. This keeps games going longer than they should, since you need to crush the enemy way too many times for it to stick.

Overall, going commercial has not improved the core formula invented by modders. I still like the gameplay well enough, but it never sits well with me when companies capitalise on modding projects like that.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Things that are different and that I don't like:
-Unlocking champions is way too expensive. It's clearly build so that you have to pay for them, rather than organically earning enough points as you play.There's no room to try different characters and see what suits me.

You're talking about league, right?
You do realize there's a weekly free rotation, where several champions are free for the week, so you can experiment at your leisure?

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
With 10 champs free per week, it takes a minimum of 3 months to cycle through them all (assuming no repeats).
Then there's stuff like Yorick that hasn't been free for years. I've played the game for 4 years and still haven't tried him. I'm also missing around 30 champs from the most expensive tiers since I've never bought RP.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Doesn't the hextech crafting system alleviate that? I heard you can even rent champions through it now.

Yeah, except its skewed in favor of premades. If you like playing solo, you're pretty much fucked.
How so? More key drops for premades?

The ranking system is designed in such a way that unless you are playing support, you probably aren't going to get an S rank.
Its easier with a premade, as all you need is someone in your premade to be a support and get the S rank.

The key rate drop is probably higher for premades as well, but I haven't read about that yet.

So basically, Riot is telling all solo players to go fuck themselves with the lack of solo queue and their hextech system.
Yeah, its a team game. That means you should play as a team, not find a bunch of lackies to help you farm for goodies, or carry you to the next division.

Lucky

Arcane
With 10 champs free per week, it takes a minimum of 3 months to cycle through them all (assuming no repeats).
Then there's stuff like Yorick that hasn't been free for years. I've played the game for 4 years and still haven't tried him. I'm also missing around 30 champs from the most expensive tiers since I've never bought RP.

This. Instead of trying out the different units and find one that's fun to play, I have to wait weeks for the chance to maybe try one (fuck that), grind points for a character that I might not even like or spend money on it. The third option is which they want you to choose, hence why they made it like this, but it makes for a less than fun experience for a new player. It just feels weird how I'm not allowed to do what I usually do and tinker around with all the different characters.

Yeah, except its skewed in favor of premades. If you like playing solo, you're pretty much fucked.
Unless you are a god tier player.

How rare are they supposed to be? I've only seen the two sample chests so far, despite winning all the ranked matches I played.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

This. Instead of trying out the different units and find one that's fun to play, I have to wait weeks for the chance to maybe try one (fuck that), grind points for a character that I might not even like or spend money on it. The third option is which they want you to choose, hence why they made it like this, but it makes for a less than fun experience for a new player. It just feels how I'm not allowed to do what I usually do and tinker around with all the different characters.

Unless you are a god tier player.

How rare are they supposed to be? I've only seen the two sample chests so far, despite winning all the ranked matches I played.

You get chests whenever you get an S tier rank. Easy to do as a support; just get assists, ward and don't die. Much harder to do as the other roles, as you need high CS (200+), kills (not just assists. If you don't have the most number of kills on your team, you probably aren't getting S), pink wards and low number of deaths.

I don't know what the exact drop chance for key fragments are, but I do know that it decreases the more you get.

Jozoz

Prophet
Don't like the AP item changes.

They're nerfing the AP on everything... All the added utility is nice, but it's gonna hurt champions who don't have huge damage from their base damages alone.

Also Zhonya's build path from Codex is awful. Was so good being able to buy Large Rod for the damage... RIP

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I thought you got a chest regardless of whether you were premade with the S-rank guy or not?
Then again I haven't had a game yet where someone on my team other than me got an S :smug:

edit:
For real though, keep in mind that the drops are not just for ranked. I guarantee you it is easier to get S's elsewhere. I've gotten 4 or 5 so far just playing a few blind pick games. Probably because my MMR for that queue is bad since I never play it. When rotating game mode queue comes, you can likely pick some up easily there too. At least I've found that the game modes have been very easy to hard-carry in the past. I think they reset the MMR each time and give you randoms to play with.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom