Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... BattleTech: The Crescent Hawk's Inception

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I started playing it again and it's definitely my favourite game from the Battletech universe so far (I have played Mechwarrior, Mechwarrior 2, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, Mechwarrior 3, Mechwarrior 4, Mechcommander).

The main things that I like about it are:
1. RPG, turnbased, topdown graphics.
2. Ability to invest money.
3. It has infantry.
4. Training for skills.
5. Some C&C.
6. Ability to go out of the mech.

One thing that I like is that it's possible to complete the first chapter with wildly different levels of power.

What I dislike:
1. Few mech types.
2. No vehicles.
3. Way too much random encounters in towns.

Zomg

Arbiter
The game is like 3 hours long if you aren't grinding. I remembered how fun it was to steal the first mech when I originally played it in the mid '90s off of a shovelware CD, but when I replayed it it seems you get a default mech that's the best in the game. I must have lost it somehow due to incompetence in my original playthrough. Yet another game that was way more fun when I didn't know how to sperg hoard all objects of power

Crescent Hawk's Revenge is a totally different kind of game (a no basebuilding RTS without true pausing) and you are basically fighting the interface.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Very fine game. BTW, do you found the way to blow up Arena? It's probably possible, I saw a strange text strings in the EXE.

Destroid

Arcane
Zomg said:
The game is like 3 hours long if you aren't grinding. I remembered how fun it was to steal the first mech when I originally played it in the mid '90s off of a shovelware CD, but when I replayed it it seems you get a default mech that's the best in the game. I must have lost it somehow due to incompetence in my original playthrough. Yet another game that was way more fun when I didn't know how to sperg hoard all objects of power

Crescent Hawk's Revenge is a totally different kind of game (a no basebuilding RTS without true pausing) and you are basically fighting the interface.

Most games from 1990 have pretty shitty interface, I'm sure the monocled gentlemen from our prestigious magazine will have no problems.

Overboard

Arcane
Fowyr said:
Very fine game. BTW, do you found the way to blow up Arena? It's probably possible, I saw a strange text strings in the EXE.

Rent a mech, aim at spectator, blow Arena up. I think it might be the only way to get an Urbanmech as well (they send one to attack you and you salvage it, IIRC). It was probably put in place so you could pick up a mech if you'd lost the one you left the school with, AND the one Rex gives you.

Town encounters are easy if you give everyone SRM launchers/Infernos, and heavy environmental suits.

Zomg that was the Chameleon, nice array of weaponry but not particularly good armour.

I remember playing this game a lot back in the day, then after that noticing that they'd included all the weapons, and editing the files to give mechs LRM 20s and the like.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Taking in account how playable the game is, I find it weird that there weren't any other Battletech RPGs.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Overboard said:
Rent a mech, aim at spectator, blow Arena up.
Mystery solved! Thanks.
Overboard said:
I think it might be the only way to get an Urbanmech as well (they send one to attack you and you salvage it, IIRC).
Yes, I remember what they have some unique mech.

Rabidredneck

Liturgist
This was one of the very first CRPG's I ever played. I recall I beat it several times, though the final dungeon was boring as anything (wandering around looking for code keys, there wasn't a final boss I could recall).

I remember it came with a huge poster of mechs in the game and in the tabletop game of the time, before they were all sued out of existance. I miss that poster...

crufty

Arcane
Nobody will care today...but it had awesome cga (4 color) graphics.

Anime 'robotech' style movies...

I remember finding that the initial mechs were pretty good as well...damaged very easily. I thought act I was nice.

It got a lot of press as the prior games were zork and text based.

Good times. An updated version would be ok w.me....actually updated mechwarrior in general. Mw ][ ws pretty sweet but not nearly as rpg like as mw i.

For some reason msft buys it and....does nothing? *shrug*

Zomg

Arbiter
Battletech had like 100% of the American hobby shop type models game before WH40K got big but they really ran it into the ground with the metaplot crap plus to too much bullshit ER pulse snubnose LB-X10 layered over their terrible base rules.

MS made those Mech Assault games to get a fast cash in on the Mechwarrior action games in the early 2000s and then that was it AFAIK. Whoever has the license is probably still puttering along releasing terrible novels for 12 year old ultranerds I guess.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Two things that I hate about CHI was lack of a wait option that would allow to gather and invest funds in a non-time-wasting way and the crazy amount of random encounters, especially in towns.
Another thing that I hate is Kurita soldiers with bows and crossbows and retarded stuff like that.

Well it's a good thing that WizKids doesn't hold the license anymore, so maybe there could be some good new Battletech stuff. But I have to try this as well, I guess I have to learn how to use DosBox...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just started replaying this game myself. Played a pirated copy as a kid, and I enjoyed it, but wasn't able to finish it due to it being a cracked version.

Anyway, I was wondering about one thing: how do you use the Tech skill to repair your mech? Do you need to use use spare parts from other Mechs, either ones you've defeated or from the cache Rex was talking about?

Regarding insane amount of random encounters in towns, that seems to only be the case if Jason is still wearing his uniform. So you need to find a clothes shop.
Fighting man to man is rather boring, I think. Even with a machine gun it takes too long to mow down punks with bows and knifes, and zig zag movement doesn't seems to prevent them from hitting you with bows and pistols. So the tactic invented by the legendary 20th century hero back at Earth - Sledge Hammer - is the best tactic. Just stand still and blow them away with your rocket launcher.

If the FAQ/Walkthrough I've been reading is correct (and my experience so far confirms it) the game has one critical design flaw: after leaving The Citadel you can no longer improve Jason's skills in weapons and Mech skills! When in the Citadel you can improve your Mech skills by practice, but not after. This means it pays to fail the missions to get more practice!
Which in turn means the game encourages "cheating".

If the FAQ/Walkthrough I've been reading is correct (and my experience so far confirms it) the game has one critical design flaw: after leaving The Citadel you can no longer improve Jason's skills in weapons and Mech skills! When in the Citadel you can improve your Mech skills by practice, but not after. This means it pays to fail the missions to get more practice!

It would have been a critical flaw if you couldn't win the game without doing so, but since you can...it isn't critical. In fact, it really isn't a big deal at all. The levels you can get Jason to are more than sufficient without using this exploit.

As for the game...it is ok. It could have been brilliant, but was let down by a slow escape of steam whereby the endgame is quite boring. If anyone is ever bored, and has programming skills, etc, then a mech RPG of this type, with a lot more fleshing out, would be a brilliant indy game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Blackadder said:

It would have been a critical flaw if you couldn't win the game without doing so, but since you can...it isn't critical. In fact, it really isn't a big deal at all. The levels you can get Jason to are more than sufficient without using this exploit.

Yes, "critical" was a bit harsh. I noticed that Rex will make an excellent MechWarrior.
Still, it's really weird in a CRPG that your characters are not able to increase their skills through practice.

Funny thing is that though I recall enjoying this game, I hardly remember any details. Just about the only things I remember is the basics of how combat works and that I was somehow able to shoot a spectator in the arena.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I rage quit this game due to the absurd amount of random encounters outside. Just like Bard's Tale the random encounters are calculated in real time, not for each move, and just like Bard's Tale I don't even have time to hit the Save button before then next encounter.

Yet another game with a great premise, but ruined by excessive use of random encounters and weird design decisions.

octavius said:
I rage quit this game due to the absurd amount of random encounters outside. Just like Bard's Tale the random encounters are calculated in real time, not for each move, and just like Bard's Tale I don't even have time to hit the Save button before then next encounter.

Yet another game with a great premise, but ruined by excessive use of random encounters and weird design decisions.

You big wimp.

Besides that, Bards Tale didn't have 'save anywhere', only saving at the adventurers guild.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Blackadder said:
octavius said:

You big wimp.

Heh, the more games there are to choose from the less patience I have for endless random encounters, especially if combined with a poor combat engine and/or little variety in encounter. The worst thing about BT:CHI is when encountering humans who can't possibly hurt your mechs. Why would they attack in the first place? And why would my guys bother with them? Letting the computer handle the combat just lead to waste of missiles and machine gun ammo.

Besides that, Bards Tale didn't have 'save anywhere', only saving at the adventurers guild.

I know; badly formulated. Let's just say that in both games you hardly have time to get your bearings before another random encounter occurs. I hate that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom