Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SO Codex ppl... Still hatin on OB?

Rendelius

Liturgist
Pr()ZaC said:
Rendelius said:
Xaziv said:
what if you like it?

They won't like it here. Period. They decided not to like it a long time ago, and nothing will shatter their standpoint, even if the game grants them girlfriends
If you're NOT joking, then you're on crack, Rendelius.

I am only joking with the part beyond the last comma. For the rest, see the posting from Drakon.

Rendelius

Liturgist
And furthermore, Desslock has written a review for PC Gamer, after having played the game for 60+ hours. Rating 95%.

Quote:
Good roleplaying games always seem to offer either an involving, character-driven story or a cool, open-ended virtual world, but never both, as if those features were mutually exclusive. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion utterly shatters that preconception by coupling a truly epic plot with the most dynamic, interactive, and expansive virtual world ever seen in an RPG. Oblivion is a roleplaying masterpiece.

Desslock is one of the view reviewers I trust. So his opinion is especially important to me.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Rendelius personifies everything that's wrong with the game industry.

IT'S ALL YOUR FUCKING FAULT.

Rendelius

Liturgist
aweigh said:

Well, thank you. Care to explain?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Rendelius said:
And furthermore, Desslock has written a review for PC Gamer, after having played the game for 60+ hours. Rating 95%.

Quote:
Good roleplaying games always seem to offer either an involving, character-driven story or a cool, open-ended virtual world, but never both, as if those features were mutually exclusive. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion utterly shatters that preconception by coupling a truly epic plot with the most dynamic, interactive, and expansive virtual world ever seen in an RPG. Oblivion is a roleplaying masterpiece.

Desslock is one of the view reviewers I trust. So his opinion is especially important to me.
Desslock also praised Dungeon Siege for being such a masterpiece of a game. 'Nuff said.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Rendelius said:

Quote:

Desslock also praised Dungeon Siege for being such a masterpiece of a game. 'Nuff said.

Funny, I was just reasoning with someone how you guys will dismiss Desslocks opinion with one arrogant sentence :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
Funny, I expected you to dismiss my comment casting doubts on your "Desslock is teh bestest! I trust him with my life and virginity!" statement with one arrogant sentence.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rendelius said:

I trust Desslock about as far as I can throw the fat piece of shit. He was way too much of an Infinity Engine fanboy for me to take seriously four years ago, and now that he's reviewing things for PC Gamer, a rag which has been noted for scoring reviews based on ad space sales.. Oh yeah, I have much more faith in him.

That said, I really didn't like Morrowind much at all. Since I normally like melee and don't tend to play magic much, I can't see Oblivion being that much better considering in their strategy guide they even say that there's not much in the way of combat options for melee characters. Since I also tend to like favor things like flails, hammers, and polearms over swords, I can't see the game offering much there considering they removed spears. Having said that, first person melee combat is about as interesting as watching grass grow.

Given the dialogue system hasn't changed much, that lowered my interest as well. I could care less if NPCs do their laundry now if I can't have a nifty dialogue tree to navigate.

So, given all that, I just can't say I'm even interested in picking the game up. There's no anticipation value in it for me. In fact, it it weren't for these threads like this, I probably wouldn't even have known the game had been released.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Funny, I expected you to dismiss my comment casting doubts on your "Desslock is teh bestest! I trust him with my life and virginity!" statement with one arrogant sentence.

Sorry, but not everybody is as lame as you when it comes to argumenting.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Rendelius said:
aweigh said:

Well, thank you. Care to explain?

Sure, here you go:

Rendelius: Please tell us who you are, what you do and about your career history.

Todd Howard: I'm Todd Howard, executive producer at Bethesda Softworks and I oversee the development of our Elder Scrolls titles. I've been at Bethesda since 1994 and have done other games also like Future Shock, SkyNET, Redguard, and NCAA Basketball.

Rendelius: Your favourite game, both electronical and board?

Todd Howard: Ultima 7 is my all time favorite video/computer game. It's the most realized fantasy world ever done given the time it came out. A masterpiece. Diplomacy is my favorite board game. Diplomacy can make bitter enemies out of best friends.

Rendelius: Your favourite movie and favourite actor & actress?

Todd Howard: "Raiders of the Lost Ark" has always been my favorite, as is Harrison Ford. I even named my dog Indiana. Though I think once "Return of the King" is done, the entire LOTR trilogy will be the greatest thing ever put to film.

Rendelius: Your favourite singer/band and record?

Todd Howard: I'm a Bruce Springsteen fanboy, and have a hard time deciding between "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and "The River".

Rendelius: If you could do any game, regardless of money and developing time, what would it be?

Todd Howard: We're starting a game here at Bethesda that is my ultimate game, so I can't say what it is yet.

Rendelius: If you'd be able to choose anyone from within the game industry to work on your dream project, who'd you put in your team?

Todd Howard: It's easy to say Sid Meier, Richard Garriott, and John Carmack, but if I had to pick a team, I'd pick the team we have at Bethesda. You have to have the right mix of people who have history together. That's how great games get made. Ken Rolston, our Lead Designer, is an absolute blast to work with. He's a one man amusement park.

Rendelius: What character from a game or role-playing setting best describes you?

Todd Howard: I like to think of myself as Conan, but have to admit that everyone calls me Frodo due to my bushy hair and immense stature [sic].

Rendelius: Your non-gaming hobbies?

Todd Howard: Love Notre Dame football, and football video games. I spend a great deal of time playing with my dog, Indy, and my newborn son, Luke.

Rendelius: Your favourite author and favourite book?

Todd Howard: I only read books with pictures of superheroes in them, so I'd have to go with "The Dark Knight Returns".

Rendelius: What historical person would you like to meet and why?

Todd Howard: I'd enjoy dinner with Jesus, Buddha, and Muhammad. Religious debate always makes for an exciting meal.

Rendelius: Thanks for your time!

Lumpy

Arcane
tes4isgreat said:
Har har, you hear that codex morons? You've been completely wrong, you fucktards, and I'm laughing at your total idiocy... haharhahar!!
It's Kingcomrade.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Rendelius said:
Vault Dweller said:

Lame? You said you trust him, I gave you a reason why you shouldn't. What's lame about it unless you absolutely loved DS, in which case, your position is correct. Stop throwing insults and address the point.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Todd Howard is an anti semite. Where the fuck is Moses! Oldest monotheistic religion still practiced today, and he ignores one of it's principal prophets. Or motherfucking Abraham. Neither there!

Rendelius

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Rendelius said:

I trust Desslock about as far as I can throw the fat piece of shit. He was way too much of an Infinity Engine fanboy for me to take seriously four years ago, and now that he's reviewing things for PC Gamer, a rag which has been noted for scoring reviews based on ad space sales.. Oh yeah, I have much more faith in him.

That said, I really didn't like Morrowind much at all. Since I normally like melee and don't tend to play magic much, I can't see Oblivion being that much better considering in their strategy guide they even say that there's not much in the way of combat options for melee characters. Since I also tend to like favor things like flails, hammers, and polearms over swords, I can't see the game offering much there considering they removed spears. Having said that, first person melee combat is about as interesting as watching grass grow.

Given the dialogue system hasn't changed much, that lowered my interest as well. I could care less if NPCs do their laundry now if I can't have a nifty dialogue tree to navigate.

So, given all that, I just can't say I'm even interested in picking the game up. There's no anticipation value in it for me. In fact, it it weren't for these threads like this, I probably wouldn't even have known the game had been released.

Your mileage with Desslock may certainly vary - but I have to say that I always thought his reviews were well researched and well written. And I have to say that I agreed with most of his ratings. Vault Dweller brought up Dungeon Siege - I had a lot of fun with this game (sure, there's not much RPG in it, but it was a nice hackfest).

Don't get me wrong: I don't think that everybody will like Oblivion, and I agree that this game has some weak points as well (how much they weigh, I will see when I play it). What I find so strange is that bashing Oblivion has become an attitude and obsession over here.

You can discuss opinions. You can't discuss attitudes. That's what I feel sad about concerning RPGCodex. Do you think you can understand my point of view?

Rendelius

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Rendelius said:
Vault Dweller said:

Lame? You said you trust him, I gave you a reason why you shouldn't. What's lame about it unless you absolutely loved DS, in which case, your position is correct. Stop throwing insults and address the point.

As I explained, yes, I had a lot of fun with Dungeon Siege. Got it?

Drakron

Arcane
Look we simple people, we like Gothic 3 for some odd reason and dont like Oblivion for odd reasons.

Keep it up and I WILL post more FF XII spoilers.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Blahblah Talks said:
aweigh said:
Sure, here you go:

If that was an actual dev interview, then Rendelius has some 'splainin to do. How could you leave out Favorite Color? Inquiring Minds want to know!

Oh yes, it was - sure. And not much to explain. We had this catalogue of questions for about 10 or 12 devs of various games as a mini-series on RPGDot in 2002 or 2003, I think. It wasn't about games, but the personal likes and dislikes of these folks. Piece of entertainment.

Blame it on the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, (one of the best quality newspapers in Germany), they had this catalogue of questions (minus the game related stuff) on for app. 25 years, getting answers from Charlie Chaplin to Ben Kingsley.

So?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Rendelius said:
Your mileage with Desslock may certainly vary - but I have to say that I always thought his reviews were well researched and well written. And I have to say that I agreed with most of his ratings. Vault Dweller brought up Dungeon Siege - I had a lot of fun with this game (sure, there's not much RPG in it, but it was a nice hackfest).
Was it? It was a dreadfully boring and poorly executed game, but hey, if you had funs with it, I'm happy for you.

However, Desslock has failed to mention any of the real issues with the game, happily describing the scenery and monsters.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dungeons ... q=desslock

Desslock said:
]But its polished interface, accessible gameplay, and exceptional graphics make Dungeon Siege a first-rate action RPG.

Rendelius

Liturgist
Major_Blackhart said:
I thought Dungeon Siege was a fifty dollarscreen saver. Was I wrong, or am I confusing it with another game?

It's quite possible that you didn't like it and I did. What's your point?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Rendelius said:
Major_Blackhart said:
I thought Dungeon Siege was a fifty dollarscreen saver. Was I wrong, or am I confusing it with another game?

It's quite possible that you didn't like it and I did. What's your point?
It's not about likes and dislikes. I liked ToEE a lot for a variety of reasons, yet I'm very well aware of its numerious shortcomings. See my point or do I need to explain?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom