Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So does anyone else get that uncanny valley effect?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I often see a new game like Fallout 3 or some weird console stuff and I think wow, these graphics look so awesome! And then I look closer, see the textures, how fake it all looks because of all these imperfections, and I basically feel sick and can't look at this shit.

I never had anything like this with the older games.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Old games look like shit, new games try to hide the fact that they look like shit. It's why graphics shouldn't be a focus point for determining the quality of a game.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
That's not uncanny valley, you're just a graphics whore.

baronjohn

Cipher
I don't find NPCs or live androids or whatever uncanny. I think I used to, but I got over it.

I do however think that face zoom in dialogues is fucking stupid since Bethesda's NPCs look particularly bad. Like, the worst of any game, ever.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Awor Szurkrarz, why don't you get that feeling with olders games? Is it because you accept that the games of yesteryears had to work with what they had and you have higher exceptions from todays games?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
And I don't mean graphics whore in a bad way btw - it's only proper to be disgusted by outdated console graphics; least they could do is make higher textures for PC versions.

DakaSha

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I often see a new game like Fallout 3 or some weird console stuff and I think wow, these graphics look so awesome! And then I look closer, see the textures, how fake it all looks because of all these imperfections, and I basically feel sick and can't look at this shit.

yep

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
if you praise old graphics you're nostalgic, pretentious and in denial about the progress technology has made, if you praise new graphics you're a weak minded graphics faggot who is feeding the industry trend of soulless expensive art assets with no substance

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
DakaSha said:
if you praise old graphics you're one of the few people who can imagine they're looking at good and atmospheric art direction

fixed goty edition

look at this bro

mmLMf.jpg

are you srs I've seen 10000% better graphics on my snes and that thing is ancient roflmao

now if you're done pretending about good old games how about you come back to the present and see what game artists wanted to do in the past but couldn't

IhrtG.jpg

that picture alone takes more space than some of your actual games and looks better than all their cutscenes combined hahahaha

^that guy is doing the 3d version of

:rage:

DakaSha said:
sgc_meltdown said:
if you praise old graphics you're one of the few people who can appreciate good and atmospheric art direction

fixed :smug:

Yeah, old graphics are better because they're old lol

l.jpg

Awor said:
So does anyone else get that uncanny valley effect?

No, you're the only person who feels that.

The only one.

In the entire world. That's how special you are.

On a related note, I was reading about this yesterday. It has something to do with your brains trying to identify the Fallout 3 people as humans because they look like humans, but the imperfections become more noticeable because of that. In older games your brain realized the people on the screen were just 2d images of humans, so the effect is reversed (you don't see them as moving corpses)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley#Hypothesis

I suppose the fact that you didn't grow up with those games also has an effect.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Excidium said:
Jesus...

You can see the horror of DA2 on the face of that flying torso on the left.

:lol:

Oh please someone crop that torso from the picture for me. It's like the TRUE face of Dragon Age II.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
http://i.imgur.com/Y7rbs.png

K I had a go, first time actually trying to use an image editor for anything other than crude paint pictures. still needs some cleaning up, ill have a go at it after a coffee.

Edit.

tqATH.png

I need to stop derping the derp, one minute

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pika-Cthulhu said:
http://i.imgur.com/Y7rbs.png

K I had a go, first time actually trying to use an image editor for anything other than crude paint pictures. still needs some cleaning up, ill have a go at it after a coffee.

Edit.

tqATH.png

I need to stop derping the derp, one minute

:bro:

Thanks!

DakaSha

Arcane
my comment was (understandably.) misunderstood but comparing a goldbox game to a snes game is so moronic on so many levels i will not even try to defend myself due to the perfect excuse for personal rationalization and my perceived superiority in this matter

also i just have larger dick. no doubt in my mind

DraQ

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:

Hahaha indeed.
:smug:

I'll never get over how hilariously retarded this game looks, I mean we had exploding enemies in Wizardry 8 and it was weird even then, but DA2 is just neverending fountain of lulz. :lol:

Maybe Todd Howard was right after all, with his take on violence and hilarity?
:?

Awor Szurkrarz said:

It's because visuals are incongruent.

You have all the bloom, shaders, postprocessing effects and whole range of specularmaps, bumpmaps, shitmaps and parallax maps smeared across hilariously low-res textures that are themselves wrapped around reasonably detailed models.

And then you puke because being constantly subjected to alternating areas of high and extremely low detail make you fucking queasy. And then you remember all those retards fapping over how awesome did this smeary shit look in oblivious and feel sudden urge to keep punching them in their little retarded faces till they burst with blood and bone shards, turning into unrecognizable lumps of mangled meat, while their owners extrude their turds and expire, gurgling silently.
:rpgcodex:

Old games tended to have pretty much equal level of detail everywhere, often tuned to the resolution, new games, especially cross platform ones, try to appeal to graphicswhores with all the tech used, but at the same time are restricted by archaic memory constraints. They try to make up for that by hiding ridiculously blurry textures beneath thick layer of -maps - plastic props ensue. The funny thing is that consoletards are not subjected to this in full force, since their next-gen "HD" is lightyears behind even Build-engine and its contemporary monitors in terms of display resolution.

tl;dr
:decline:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ed123 said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Baddygoal said:
Turisas said:
That's not uncanny valley, you're just a graphics whore.
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Information

You have successfully added Baddygoal to your ignore list.

Return to the post

What you were talking about in the OP has nothing to do with the "Uncanny Valley" effect. In any case, CGI effects are barely venturing into that area (it's more of an issue with life-like models) and mainstream video games are fucking eons away from it.
Still, they try to pretend that they are cinematic and they invest a lot of money into these graphics. Maybe it's not a literal uncanny valley, but I still find it creepy and unpleasant to look at.
At one look it looks cinematic and realistic and at another look everything looks like cardboard models. To me it kills the point of having such high-budget graphics.

DraQ said:
And then you puke because being constantly subjected to alternating areas of high and extremely low detail make you fucking queasy. And then you remember all those retards fapping over how awesome did this smeary shit look in oblivious and feel sudden urge to keep punching them in their little retarded faces till they burst with blood and bone shards, turning into unrecognizable lumps of mangled meat, while their owners extrude their turds and expire, gurgling silently.
:lol: :salute:
I wonder if these people have some problems with eyes. Maybe they don't look at how world really looks because they are nerds? Or maybe anyone who didn't take art lessons doesn't *see* how things really look?

DraQ

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
DraQ said:
:lol: :salute:
I wonder if these people have some problems with eyes. Maybe they don't look at how world really looks because they are nerds? Or maybe anyone who didn't take art lessons doesn't *see* how things really look?
Serious :decline: of the nerds then.

Back when nerds were really nerds they really had an eye for minuscule details and they'd spark pages of discussions because of such innocent mishaps as snail's shell twisting wrong way or a shark having wrong number of gill slits.

Now the 'nerds' are really just fat 'tards immobilized in front of their XPoxes and Gaystations with no interests apart from herping and derping, who can't even notice that their games are corridors dotted with cover and gay buttsecks or that they running around an empty sandbox and pretend that there is sand in it and that they aren't, in fact, playing with dried-out cat turds lying lonely around the sandless sandbox like beached whales - the only reminder of the times long gone when there was still some sand to play with.

ever

Scholar
I get the "uncanny valley" effect usually in regards to animations. Hardly ever rendering.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom