Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So does anyone else get that uncanny valley effect?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
kingcomrade said:
Super computer? If anything hardware requirements have gotten really lenient in the past couple years. My computer is a couple years old and even then I bought middle of the line hardware, but it can still play new games at max graphics, just sometimes I have to turn down shadows or anti-aliasing.
Multiple cores, super graphics cards, a few GB of ram. For what? I have a computer that can handle ToEE. I can't afford buying a "middle range of the line hardware" as it would mean that I wouldn't be able to buy other things.
But no, great graphics of ToEE and similar aren't enough. We have to get creepy uncanny valley characters and creepy cardboard environment and bloom because it's next-gen.
With cardboard grass that doesn't even interact with character that goes through it.

Gerrard

Arcane
Morgoth said:
You get this uncanny effect because you shits are only playing games on your outdated PCs.

Look what the superior PS3 can render in realtime:

HR1.JPG
A loading screen in 400 x 226? Definitely PS3.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Morgoth said:
Crysis and ARMA 2 may have crisper textures, but they still look shit compared to Heavy Rain.

Yes if 2 people and a wall with old textures on the screen is your definition of good graphics.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Morgoth said:
Crysis and ARMA 2 may have crisper textures, but they still look shit compared to Heavy Rain.

Yes if 2 people and a wall with old textures on the screen is your definition of good graphics.
Uh, wrong. The disco scene has a few dozen of these characters, and the mall has a few hundreds characters rendered in realtime.

But just keep on making shit up.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Uh, wrong. The disco scene has a few dozen of these characters, and the mall has a few hundreds characters rendered in realtime.

Where's my proof?

PS3 can't render grass in something as outdated looking as Mafia 2 and you are telling me that PS3 can handle a hundred of characters at once on the screen

Or do you mean your hundred of characters in the mall is like VOpp's millions of people in GTA4?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
MetalCraze said:

Where's my proof?
Play it yourself, you stupid fuck. And look it up at youtube.

Yes, if the programmers are capable, you can squeeze quite a lot out of the Cell. At least I'm with todays PS3 (exclusives) still more impressed than with PC games.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
MetalCraze said:
PS3 can't render grass in something as outdated looking as Mafia 2 and you are telling me that PS3 can handle a hundred of characters at once on the screen
Who gives a shit about grass? Mafia 2 runs like a turd because the guys at 2K Czech are hacks.

And crysis 1 is just water, grass, trees and some brown shit thrown in. And then the game has only 2 enemy types (Koreans and Alien Squids). If you think that's the apex of PC graphics then you're quite deluded.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Morgoth said:
Play it yourself, you stupid fuck. And look it up at youtube.
a) I don't own PS3
b) Again it's you who needs to back his words up, not me.
So far all games on PS3 were technically inferior to anything on PC and X360.

Yes, if the programmers are capable, you can squeeze quite a lot out of the Cell. At least I'm with todays PS3 (exclusives) still more impressed than with PC games.
Because you are in denial?

Who gives a shit about grass? Mafia 2 runs like a turd because the guys at 2K Czech are hacks.
But it doesn't run like a turd on PC and X360... And looks better! What's wrong PS3?

And crysis 1 is just water, grass, trees and some brown shit thrown it. If you think that's the apex of PC graphics then you're quite deluded.

Crysis 1 is all nice shaders, a lot of polys and crisp textures. Oh and face detail is much much better than on those screenshots.

Since you're probably even too stupid to use youtube, here's two links.

1. Is that it? Even with 240p it's easy to see how low-poly characters are and a shit lighting. GTA4 can do the same shit. And that game (Dead-something-2 had much more of characters rendered at once)

2. Where are hundreds of characters? I can see 10, 12 tops (although once it gets to 20-25) genericly detailed ones with some distant characters being horribly blurred out to cover the need to use the very low detailed LOD.

Another thing is that even with such non-existent details environments are low detailed and nearly empty.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The last time a big PC exclusive was released, was Starcraft 2. Or Civilization 5.

Both looks like 2005 games.

Console games will always look better than their PC counterparts, because that's where the money and ressources flow in.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Crysis 1 is all nice shaders, a lot of polys and crisp textures. Oh and face detail is much much better than on those screenshots.
Poly count of Crysis 1 characters is quite low. Crysis 2 uses 3 times the shaders, has better animated bad guys and also looks better overall. But I suppose you just can't afford a high end PC.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Morgoth said:
You need to learn to read. Multiplatform titles may often lack on the PS3. But exclusives like Uncharted 2 or Heavy Rain trample over their PC and Xbox 360 counterparts easily.

Disregarding the retarded fanboyism with "100% of multiplatform devs are lazy fucks who don't want to make a good looking game for PS3 due to a worldwide conspiracy" can you show me exactly where a PS3 exclusive built with a 6 years old hardware can be compared to what PC can do?

Filling a corridor with 20 4000 poly characters with photos slapped on their faces isn't exactly anything out of this world.

Morgoth said:
Poly count of Crysis 1 characters is quite low.
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screensh ... resize.jpg

If it's so why does a random Crysis face looks much more detailed than a blurred crap from Heavy Rain?
And look Crysis 1 also renders a highly detailed jungle environment with it. Something PS3 is completely incapable of doing.

Crysis 2 uses 3 times the shaders, has better animated bad guys and also looks better overall. But I suppose you just can't afford a high end PC.

I can afford a high-end enough PC to run something much more demanding like ArmA2 (with it being "baaawww unoptimized baaaww" just like Crysis 1 was 2 years before) but I can't afford a PC to run Crysis 2 which looks worse than CoDMW3 on X360?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
MetalCraze said:
4000 poly characters with photos slapped on their faces isn't exactly anything out of this world.
You mean, like Crysis 1? :lol:

And you know, it was actually you who claimed that devs are lazy fucks who can't make prettier games.

But some people are born stubborn and die stubborn. Especially eastern Europeans.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hey nice detailed character. You can see all the small polygonal detail on his body armor too.

Screenshot2010-03-11at102112PM.jpg

Wow Heavy Rain looks like shit.

50714_orig.jpg

What's wrong PS3?

Morgoth, you actually believe they look better?

I think you are completely blind.

And don't expect to wake up when you go to sleep tonight.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Excommunicator said:
Morgoth, you actually believe they look better?
I actually believe that Crysis 2 even on the Shitbox 360 looks better than Crysis 1 on PC, not to mention that it's the better game as well.

In before some jerk counterargumenting with worthless polycount and texture-res nonsense.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DarthBehemoth said:
Best looking games atm are Twitcher 2 and Crysis 2 with DX11 patch

Yes. If you are playing since 2010.

TW2 has good textures for PC version but other than that it doesn't look better than most console games.

Crysis 2 looks pretty outdated. CoDMW3 at E3 looked much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom