Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I Might Buy Mass Effect...

Buy Mass Effect?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• inb4Volourn

• Total voters

Arcanoix

Scholar
Yay or Nay? I'd imagine it's been out long enough. What does the Hivemind think?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Micormic said:
racofer said:
GarfunkeL said:
No. It's the shittiest thing Bioware has pushed out so far. Do NOT waste money on it.

Wrong. That would be Jade Empire.
WRONG
neverwinter nights

Wrong. Neverwinter nights offers a major modding playgroud, with quite a lot of excellent modules that put most mainstream games into shame. NWN OC sucked, yes, with HotU being a good improvement. But overall, the game is a success thanks to community content.

I borrowed it from a friend an played it a bit on the 360. It was fun (as I didn't totally OCD out on the uncharted missions), but definitely worth no more than a rental. I wouldn't buy it. Still better than Jade Empire though. Serviceable shooter combat isn't anything great, but it beats a poor-man's DMC anyday.

And the soundtrack is pretty nifty too.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"No. It's the shittiest thing Bioware has pushed out so far. Do NOT waste money on it."

No. That's KOTOR.

And, it doesn't have shooter combat. Anyone who tells you otehrwise is lying.

P.S. In during Volourn.

Turok

Erudite
If you like games that play as a movie, then buy it, if not dont do it, rent it or pirate it. There is no real choices on the game, the script is like a holliwood movie nothing more.

If you wanna have sex with something blue then buy it.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Poor action, mostly poor dialog, poor plot, insanely poor sidequests, poor mainquest, insanely poor inventory, insanely poor skill system, poor ship, poor level design...

JE was better than ME. Hell, NWN OC grabbed my collar harder than Commander Shepard ever could. But yeah, along with Kotor, I never managed to finish ME. Just sucked too bad.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yet everyone bashing ME in this thread will be amongts the first to buy ME2. R00fles!

Tigranes

Arcane
Didn't buy it, didn't play it beyond a half-hour, won't buy it, won't play it. Same applies to ME2 & 3.

There's really no point.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Why do people find it acceptable to lie on the internet? :?

Sadly I skipped Mass Effect based on principle alone. Had it not shipped with draconian DRM (the intrusive version of SecuROM with install limits) I would have bought it at full price.

DemonKing

Arcane
I say go for it - yes the sidequests are awful and the combat not that interesting but the main storyline is EPIC in a good way (to the extent that I'm wondering how they'll top it in a sequel) and the presentation, voice-acting and graphics are top notch.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Played it, finished it, didn't care for it.

I at least somewhat liked Jade Empire's story... Mass Effect had nothing going for it.

Qwinn

Scholar
I liked it, actually.

And I didn't find the side quests all that horrible. Some of 'em are pretty cool... there's a sorta-hidden one that's a great take on Starship Troopers, where you have to fend off waves and waves of Rachni at a fortified position. The layouts of the areas -were- way too repetitive, I'll agree with that, but other than that, I don't see what was so awful about 'em.

Then again, I grew up with games like Starflight, where the roaming around hunting for minerals was some of the funnest stuff ever written. Course, Starflight was better cause the money you'd get for it was actually -really valuable-, whereas in ME money becomes utterly worthless -way- too quickly. That's probably the biggest bitch I had with it. It's been -ages- since I saw a game with a well designed economy. Why is that so hard?

Qwinn

Avu

Liturgist
Removed it from inventory played it a bit got bored. If I want to play a shooter I get a shooter.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Volourn said:
Yet everyone bashing ME in this thread will be amongts the first to buy ME2. R00fles!

Nope. Because of Mass Effect, I now will not buy a game from Bioware until it hit's the "Bargain Bin". R00fles!

That includes Dragon Age. DOUBLE r00fles!!!!ONE!11!

To the OP: It's a...... kinda enjoyable ...... RPG. If you can *borrow* it from a friend then do. You will not have ANY reason to re-play it. SO play it once. Save your game. And use that for mAss Effect 2. If for some fucking reason Mass Effect 2 is worth playing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Sadly I skipped Mass Effect based on principle alone. Had it not shipped with draconian DRM"

My copy never had DRM. And,d efinitely not 'draconian' DRM. Weird.

"You will not have ANY reason to re-play it."

Another lie. Typical internet geek.

Again, i ask, why do peons think lying is acceptable on the internet?

"It's a...... kinda enjoyable ...... RPG"

Game over.

Silellak

Cipher
There are much, much worse ways to spend $20. I'm sure there are also some better ways, but it was definitely one of the more enjoyable games in the last couple of years.

Qwinn

Scholar
In subsequent playthroughs you can unlock an additional skill that you earned the achievement for on your first playthrough.

That allows for creating a much more powerful character build, which, yes gang, is something considered "fun" by a lot of people. There may not be a whole -lot- of RP reasons to play through multiple times (there are a few) but there's plenty of gameplay reasons.

Qwinn

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
It's an adequate yarn, good for a tenner or so. Avoid any side content and just yomp through the main story; it's best that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom