Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So it has been three years of Neverwinter Nights 2...

Wyrmlord

Arcane
To think all that time passed so quickly.

No game has done more for the computer roleplaying genre in the past five years than Neverwinter Nights 2. Two expansions, one adventure pack, countless community modules and campaigns, several mods, and a still very active community - and it is all just the icing on the cake. Neverwinter Nights 2 is the most extensive adaptation of D&D among pausable real-time games, a boon for those of us who don't want to be arsed with playing PnP. :)

Most of all, the campaigns of Neverwinter Nights 2 and its expansions are a strong reconciliation for wargamers and interactivists, with loads of skill checks and ways to experiment with the game's environment, and yet also endless combat that never lets go, and keeps throwing more and more enemies to pressure you.

I hated Neverwinter Nights 2 on its release, finding it a buggy, poorly optimized, and bloated game with an excess of filler content. I did not think it would start growing on me, that I would come to value it for the community campaigns, that I would I get a great expansion for it, and that the game would become so usable and workable after a few patches. Or that its engine would be capable of creating great cinematic moments and amazing settings.

But I ramble. For all you glorious Neverwinter Nights 2 fans - Jaesun, Hummelgumpf, Vaarna Aarne, Dark Individual, and others - alike, I have questions to ask!

1. What is your absolute favourite build for Neverwinter Nights 2?

2. What are your three most favourite community modules/campaigns for Neverwinter Nights 2?

3. What unused or barely used D&D setting would be ideal for a Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign?

4. Who was the coolest NPC in the official campaigns of Neverwinter Nights 2?

5. What was the single most awesome fight in all of the official campaigns of Neverwinter Nights 2?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
No game has done more for the computer roleplaying genre in the past five years than Neverwinter Nights 2.

Wat. It's just D&D all over again. I hardly count that as a productive contribution to the RPG genre since it's not giving us anything new. The only thing NWN2 contributed to was in giving me a headache with it's shitty camera.

Deleted member 7219

NWN OC was good, MotB was great, MoW was good. I'm not interested in SoZ at all. I'd like to see another expansion like MotB, and more modules from Ossian Studios.

That is all I have to say on this matter.

Andhaira

Arcane
THinking about it there really has been quite a dearth of real crpgs in the past few years. Otherwise NWN wouldn't be mentioend at all.

I wonder, what do ppl think about a comparison of NWN 2 vs Drakensang? Which is the better game?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Consider the fact that we long stopped talking about Drakensang, and that NWN2 is still consistently discussed years after its release.

What do you think?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Consider the fact that we long stopped talking about Drakensang, and that Oblivion is still consistently discussed years after its release.

What do you think?

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I think they are both the same game in every way possible. Crap story, boring combat with loads of filler, lack of C&C etc.
I don't know why Codexers worship Obsidian. Might be something to do with Chris being there, but nearly all his games have been shit. FO2 and PS:T are the only good games he has worked on.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Hobo Elf said:
I think they are both the same game in every way possible. Crap story, boring combat with loads of filler, lack of C&C etc.
Exactly.
I don't know why Codexers worship Obsidian.
Because someone who has chosen the colors for the FO2 box happens to work there.

Lim-Lim

Liturgist
The unbearable monotony of the OC haunts me to this day.
MotB was good, but the loot was too 1337.
I haven't played SoZ yet. Even though I bought and installed it at the release day and I have even updated it regularily.
Something that tells me that it's not going to be a great experience. Maybe I've read too many posts by skyway.

Andhaira

Arcane
Hey drakensang was a great firrst attempt by a new comapny. Cut them some slack guys. Also despite being noobs they knoew how to optimize their games. Unlike Obsidian.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Hobo Elf said:
I think they are both the same game in every way possible.
:?

Crap story,
Who cares?

boring combat with loads of filler,
Absolutely, although all the same, there were some damn good occasional fights in NWN2 OC, especially the telepathic lizard. MotB was also full of great fights.

lack of C&C etc.
Whatever...

I don't know why Codexers worship Obsidian.
NWN2 was the only game of theirs in which I took interest. I dislike Knights Of The Old Republic II, and don't exactly look forward to their future fare anyway.

Might be something to do with Chris being there, but nearly all his games have been shit. FO2 and PS:T are the only good games he has worked on.
Avellone is irrelevant. There are other smart people at Obsidian. Anthony Davis, for example. Sawyer also has a remarkably good perspective on the problems of NWN2 as well, and that's why he fixed them in the first expansion.

Besides, Avellone did some extensive work on the quests and plotlines of Gannayev of Dreams, who is probably the coolest NPC in a long long time.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
AndhairaX said:
Hey drakensang was a great firrst attempt by a new comapny. Cut them some slack guys. Also despite being noobs they knoew how to optimize their games. Unlike Obsidian.
Radon Labs (formerly TerraTools) is a video game developer based in Germany. The company was founded in 1995. Radon Labs has its headquarters in Berlin and a second development studio in Halle-Leipzig.

Selected Games

* Urban Assault (1998)
* Project Nomads (2001)
* Paws and Claws Pet Vet (2005)
* Riding Star 2 (2006)
* Riding Star 3 DS (2007)
* Treasure Island (2008)
* Drakensang: The Dark Eye (2008)
* The Dark Eye: Drakensang: The River of Time (TBA)[1]

First attempt indeed LOL

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
NWN2 was pretty much crap. I haven't played MotB or the other expansion because I'm not going to waste money on expansion packs for a game I didn't like, no matter how much better MotB supposedly is.

As for Obsidian, they haven't made a single decent game since they set up shop. They seem like a nice bunch of people who want to make good games, but they just can't.

Andhaira

Arcane
Maybe I meant their first attempt in the rpg genre. Which it was.

So I was right.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Two expansions, one adventure pack, countless community modules and campaigns, several mods, and a still very active community - and it is all just the icing on the cake. Neverwinter Nights 2 is the most extensive adaptation of D&D among pausable real-time games, a boon for those of us who don't want to be arsed with playing PnP."

What's hilarious is that NWN1 does this, and has been more successful doing so. R00fles!

It has an abominable engine, only halfway decent gameplay (nice character developement but not much fun use for the results, and so on), good music, decent story both in OC and MOTB. A few nice mods, too, like Conan Chronicles and Pool of Radiance Remastered. I have a lot of complaints, but it was still bang for buck and time as far as I'm concerned.

But what the heck, "the campaigns of Neverwinter Nights 2 and its expansions are a strong reconciliation for wargamers and interactivists"? It's barely better combat than KOTOR, the kind of RPS game with dynamite beats all, and mostly your skills are pointless, save for SoZ. I don't think there is a modern CRPG I'd recommend to wargamers and interactivists.

1. Probably Eldricth Knight 10 / Pale Master 10 / Wizard 10. Some tricky builds that use Shadow Thief of Amn or Assassin were nice but the maps are structured in such a way that using stealth was mostly useless, and unlike Baldur's Gate, you can't sneak in and kill anyone if they have something to say.

2. Only tried Conan Chronicles, POR:R and Dark Waters, and I didn't like the last one.

3. The setting is not a priority to fix.

4. One of Many was a nice idea and well executed, Ammon was pretty cool, corny but I like my characters corny. I also liked Ribsmasher, much more than Khelgar, anyway.

5. The last SoZ battle, which required quite a bit of micromanagement for my shit characters. Which isn't very comfortable with any camera mode, but still better than "Wail of the Banshee/etc. kills everything in sight" (well, don't know about that actually as I didn't have a wizard of any kind in SoZ).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
My opinion of NWN2 also has gone up and down since its release. Anything D&D-related is pretty much a must buy for me, and I was very encouraged when I first started the OC. I never finished it, though. There is a core game there that has great potential, despite many of the superficial deficiencies that are present, such as TEH CAMERA!1@, the odd character animations and combat animations, etc. But the OC quickly became so uninteresting and uninspiring that I just couldn't bring myself to trudge through it. I don't think I ever will.

That being said, NWN2 gets the most playtime out of all the games I own right now. That's mainly due to my great fondness for MoW - I'm thoroughly enjoying and savoring that - but also as a result of the improvements the game's received, slowly, since release. Many bugs, ommisions, and straightforward rules errors have been patched up, but Obsidian still has a long way to go - so much so, that I don't think NWN2 will ever match up one-to-one with D&D 3.5, disregarding the obvious concessions Obsidian's had to make to adapt the rules to PC.

Things that I think are great about NWN2:

- The game is an acceptably close representation of PnP D&D
- It has retained that NWN open design, which allows great freedom in exploring user-made content (for what it's worth)
- Overall, the game is attractive, graphics-wise
- There have been two officially-released adventures both worthy of praise
- It hasn't been completely abandoned, support-wise, after three years

Things that NWN2 sorely lacks:

- A more flexible, non-restrictive module creation design. The very limited size for each cell is ridiculous in this day and age.
- Game optimization, even now. Electron's handling of light and shadows is pitiful.
- More convincing character models and animations
- Better camera controls. (racofer is still gay)
- Better in-game assets, such as building models and textures
- Better adherence to correct official spell stats, feat specs, class specs, etc. This has required great effort on the part of fan fixes to slowly pull together which are still not all implemented

I think it's time to move on, and I hope NWN3 sees the light of day somehow, but we've had a pretty good run with 2. It's never been perfect, but I think Obsidian deserves credit for sticking with it for as long as they have.

If you mean character build, I'd say my current character, an Arcane Trickster, just because he's finally coming into his own in MoW.

2. What are your three most favourite community modules/campaigns for Neverwinter Nights 2?

Pool of Radiance Remastered, Harp & Chrysanthemum, and maybe the PW I played for a while which is called Dasaria II. That was fun.

3. What unused or barely used D&D setting would be ideal for a Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign?

Well, I think any could be, but I wouldn't mind seeing a very extensive Underdark campaign.

Companions count? Probably Gann from MotB.

5. What was the single most awesome fight in all of the official campaigns of Neverwinter Nights 2?

My favorite so far out of all of them has probably been the one with the...
lich
...that you encounter when going through the burnt house in MoW's merchant triangle. It was quite unexpected and difficult.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Wyrmlord said:
Monk.

Fuck the community. The community sucks.

I want more Sword Coast, lol.

Sand because he didn't really give a shit, and Bishop because while he acted like he didn't give a shit he actually gave the biggest amount of shit.

Thirty-two.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"1. What is your absolute favourite build for Neverwinter Nights 2?"

Dwarven Fighter/Cleric but I'm biased as its based off my fave pnp character.

"2. What are your three most favourite community modules/campaigns for Neverwinter Nights 2? "

None. i haven't played any NWN2 community modules for more than 30 minutes.

Deleted Member 10432

Wyrmlord said:
Warlock of some description. Usually either human or Yuan-ti Pureblood for race. The +2 adjustment is irritating, true, but the ability bonuses mean I can have a decent CHA and still have enough skill in bluff/intimidate for them to be useful. Post-SoZ, I usually multiclass Hellfire Warlock, for Summon Baatezu if nothing else.

MotB and MotB. I've tried a few of the modules, and while I have pretty high standards for a plot (or so it seems: I hate fedex quests enormously, and over-reliance on silly fight and stupid opening requiremens irritates me; I expect dialogue to be decent, and the plot intriguing...), I still think their output is generally pretty disappointing. I quite liked the Winter Rose one, what little I played of it. It was still quite crap, though, IMO. And yes, I know that probably wasn't fair on the modder.

[qote]3. What unused or barely used D&D setting would be ideal for a Neverwinter Nights 2 campaign?[/quote]
N/A. I loathe D&D settings, as they're usually shit. Cf: Mulhorand. I prefer original settings which are original, or at least vaguely interesting. And yes, I know that's demanding a lot of amateurs.

I liked Ammon Jerro a lot. Although the gnome portraitist in Blacklake was probably the single best character in the whole NWN2 thing, expansions included. And I stand by that to the death.

Mmmh, none of the fights made me really go "Oh, wow! What an awesome fight!", really. If I had to pick a fight I thought was kinda cool, though, the siege of Crossroad Keep was quite fun, I suppose.

Texas Red

Whiner
The sad part of NWN 2 is that MotB has possibly the greatest companions, setting, story, dialogs etc. of all games, and very few people have played it. It will forgotten despite its greatness. SoZ is played even less because retards who didn't reach the Sword Coast basically destroyed the game with their false opinions and reviews. When Gamespot and the like gave ZoS a 6/10(compared to 8s for Bethesda's DLC), it turned hordes of potential players away.

But yes, NWN 2 is a blessing for the RPG genre. ATM I have MotB, SoZ and MoW on my play list and my RPG hunger is satisfied.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom