Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Prototype...

Data4

Arcane
So far it's p. cool for a "no thinking required" hack-n-slash action game. Running up the side of buildings never gets old.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
I managed to finish it. Fun game, does get old and repetitive eventually, but immensely satisfying and fun and will definitely be worth going back to to play the New Game + mode. Wandering around the city with full powers and only petty police to resist me? I AM A GOD, A BRIGHT SHINY ANGEL OF VENGEANCE (SENT DOWN TO LICK DICK IN THE TOILET)

Data4

Arcane
It does a good job at providing an outlet for RAAAAGGGEEE!!!! though. I can't count the number of times I've wanted to rip an industrial air conditioning unit off the roof of a skyscraper and toss it at a Blackhawk.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
FUCKING CONSOLE TRASH SHIT GRPHICS LOVERS GO BACK TO GAMEFAQS THIS GAME IS A PIECE OF SHIT IF YOU HAD ANY BRAINS YOU'D BE PLAYING SOMETHING ELSE FUCKING CONSOLETARDS

Data4

Arcane
BLOBERT said:
FUCKING CONSOLE TRASH SHIT GRPHICS LOVERS GO BACK TO GAMEFAQS THIS GAME IS A PIECE OF SHIT IF YOU HAD ANY BRAINS YOU'D BE PLAYING SOMETHING ELSE FUCKING CONSOLETARDS

Well, actually... if you really think about it, there are some things that.... wait... you're from Michigan? Oh, shit, I'm sorry, man. Nevermind. :lol: No, really, my bad. :lol: :lol:

Prototype looks great on the surface, but it's shallow. I.e. the whole war between Infected and Blackwatch, sure you can go around destroying Hives/Bases, but they just respawn with no effect on the game world whatsoever. Same thing with stealth, yeah it's there and you can infiltrate the bases but what the fuck for? After like four visits(All in Consume Events to boot) you will have all the upgrades and will never have a reason to enter a base again. Web of Intrigue, too, is a pretty meaningless feature since you'll get the story as you go along, so all the other people to eat are just a filler.

Then there's the events themselves - the game is pretty grimdark, and bam suddenly our brooding hero decides to check out how fast can he run around Eaves? It just doesn't fucking fit.

In short, shit would be much better if it was a PC-exclusive. It's still a good game, mind you, and hard enough so you usually need to try different tactics/powers and not just spam same move over and over, but if someone just sat down and thought "What is the POINT of this feature?" it could've been ace.

Silellak

Cipher
Emotional Vampire said:
Prototype looks great on the surface, but it's shallow. I.e. the whole war between Infected and Blackwatch, sure you can go around destroying Hives/Bases, but they just respawn with no effect on the game world whatsoever. Same thing with stealth, yeah it's there and you can infiltrate the bases but what the fuck for? After like four visits(All in Consume Events to boot) you will have all the upgrades and will never have a reason to enter a base again. Web of Intrigue, too, is a pretty meaningless feature since you'll get the story as you go along, so all the other people to eat are just a filler.

Then there's the events themselves - the game is pretty grimdark, and bam suddenly our brooding hero decides to check out how fast can he run around Eaves? It just doesn't fucking fit.

In short, shit would be much better if it was a PC-exclusive. It's still a good game, mind you, and hard enough so you usually need to try different tactics/powers and not just spam same move over and over, but if someone just sat down and thought "What is the POINT of this feature?" it could've been ace.

Yes, because PC-exclusive automatically means more thought goes into a game's design.

Data4

Arcane
Silellak said:
Yes, because PC-exclusive automatically means more thought goes into a game's design.

In theory, yes. The control scheme wouldn't be as clunky, since it would have been designed specifically for mouse and keyboard. As it stands, it suffers from the same thing as Assassin's Creed. It's hard to describe the feeling. Kind of like you're controlling someone else's hand who's working the controller, if that makes sense. (Probably not unless you've played a game like this)

Dickweed

Educated
Silellak said:
Well, yeah. Otherwise you couldn't sell to them, because all PC gamers are super intelligent people with impeccable taste who won't accept anything short of excellence. Also they are all really amazing people that everyone likes with perfect skin and flawless bodies and they've all totally had hundreds of girlfriends.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
So I just finished it. SHIT WAS SO CASH!
I might be exagerating here but that's just because its been a while since I played a game that was actually you know... fun.

Now for the bad parts:
I did feel the controls were a bit unresponsive when I was at top speed while sprinting but then again when you're running really fast IRL you can't make sharp turns either.
The fight with elizabeth(?) was unnecessarily hard mainly because of how often I was charging a devastator attack and one of those fucking green energy balls knocked me down. The rest of the game I found to be appropriately challenging though hellicopters were a bit overpowered for some missions.

Oh and the plot. It was interesting for a while but fuck was that shit convoluted or what? After I finished the game I actually had to make a google search to understand what happened in the cutscene before the final battle. Well anyway it left me wanting MOAR.

baronjohn

Cipher
Prototype is probably the worst game I've ever played. Nobody with an IQ over 80 could enjoy that shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Prototype is just another piece of shit game from the line of so called console "sandboxes" - Hulk(or what was that shit) - Just Cause - Far Cry 2 - Red Faction 3 - etc. Looks and plays exactly like them - some relatively big map and you can do nothing else but shoot respawning bots.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Prototype is just another piece of shit game from the line of so called console "sandboxes" - Hulk(or what was that shit) - Just Cause - Far Cry 2 - Red Faction 3 - etc. Looks and plays exactly like them - some relatively big map and you can do nothing else but shoot respawning bots.

Prototype looks and plays exactly like far cry 2. You heard it here first!

Will you be mad if I paraphrase you and put it into my sig?

Armacalypse

Scholar
Prototype was a huge disappointment. I kinda looked forward it being the evolution of their previous game, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction on the PS2/Xbox/GC which I liked, but it really just the same game done worse. The moves and skills are all just extremely unbalanced. I mean what is the point of grapple moves and shit, when you can only use them on normal humans who die from one punch right at the start anyway? Most other attacks are also worthless because of the extreme differences in the damage of moves. In Hulk the abilities were pretty balanced. You juggled your enemies (robots!), threw them at eachother, and ran up walls of skyscrapers just to slam the in the ground wrestling style. Tanks were dealt with using smashed cars for gloves, or with the unlocked ability to grab them by the cannon and do a spinning throw. Not like in Prototype the same anime downward sword slash you use against every enemy except helicopters (which you could throw too in Hulk, even at other helicopters).

Oh yeah, and you could catch missiles in the air and throw them back. You could use lightpoles and similar as clubs, or as throwing spears. You could bowl with huge round objects such as boulders. You could skate on smashed busses and trucks. The game had more, and better designed bosses, same with enemies. The controls were better too since you didn't need to switch weapons for different moves.

Oh wait prototype is Next-Gen. Nevermind then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom