Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Bestow Curse could do something similar (and the interaction is overpowered, yes), but 1) I haven't cast it and 2) it would output 1d8 damage for each missile, not multiples of 5 for each:

https://solastacrownofthemagister.wiki.fextralife.com/Bestow+Curse
Should Bestow Curse react like this to MMs, though? I certainly wouldn't allow it, only 1 missile should trigger the extra damage.

I don't believe there has been a Sage Advice on the matter, but I would rule as you would. However I believe in Solasta at least at launch it was 1d8 per missile.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Can someone explain me, why elementals can be affected by necrotic damage at all? Isn't they are basically immortal personification of water/fire/earth/winds and whatever?

5E has done away with most immunities and even most resistances of former editions. A zombie isn't immune or even resistant to necrotic damage, for instance.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't believe there has been a Sage Advice on the matter, but I would rule as you would. However I believe in Solasta at least at launch it was 1d8 per missile.
I could read it as "every attack triggers the damage", but missiles don't require an attack roll, ergo they aren't attacks. Hit =/= attack. If you deem it a spell, I'll say it's triggered on a spell, not on hit, so single spell = single bestow curse proc.

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Is there a known bug with Magic Missile? My MMs literally one-shot everything - what happens is each missile will first deal the appropriate force damage (1d4+1), then it will deal 5 necrotic damage until the target is dead. So one MM = 1d4+1 force damage plus infinite necrotic damage in increments of 5 :S

Wowowo that does sound like a big bug. Could you PM me a save file during combat where that happens? Like, get into a fight, save, throw magic missile to see if the bug triggers. If it does, just send us the save so we can see what the hell is going on lol.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Is there a known bug with Magic Missile? My MMs literally one-shot everything - what happens is each missile will first deal the appropriate force damage (1d4+1), then it will deal 5 necrotic damage until the target is dead. So one MM = 1d4+1 force damage plus infinite necrotic damage in increments of 5 :S

Wowowo that does sound like a big bug. Could you PM me a save file during combat where that happens? Like, get into a fight, save, throw magic missile to see if the bug triggers. If it does, just send us the save so we can see what the hell is going on lol.

Unfortunately I rely on QS and AS. I haven't been able to reproduce it since applying the Sorcerer update, but given that it happened in all the Arena fights as well the Elemental fight, I'm sure it'll happen again. If it does I'll send you the save.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
All I waaaaant for Christmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas...

Is more fights like the green dragon in Solasta. First fight since level 3ish that almost made me have to reload. Not the game's fault my Paladin crit his level 3 smite and one-shot it, lol

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Meanwhile Myzzrym you can take a look at this lovely bug. Half-plate +1 and Half-plate +2 give the same AC due to a fairly dumb calculation error. Basically Half-plate +1 gets it's enhancement bonus twice; as part of the base AC as well as an added +1 on top.

So: Halfplate of Robustness is properly coded (gives a base AC of 17). Halfplate of Sturdiness is not (gives a base AC of 16 as well as an AC bonus of +1).

Savegame here: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/08Cry581Gylb7aTz5tQjkL6zQ#Halfplate_funkyness

And screenshots:

Half-plate +1:

W1iSNlR.jpg

Half-plate +2:

2YTklvB.jpg

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Note that only one of my two Halfplates +1 exhibit this behaviour, while the other works as it should.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Regarding itemization, you get +D6 damage crating options (even + 2D4) fairly early on.
It feels like going through Baldur's Gate level with BG2 gear.
I wish they had given more varied perks than raw damage to weapons.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Regarding itemization, you get +D6 damage crating options (even + 2D4) fairly early on.
It feels like going through Baldur's Gate level with BG2 gear.
I wish they had given more varied perks than raw damage to weapons.

It's a resource thing for sure. The crafted weapons with added die rolls are very overpowered in an already easy game, but it's easy to code in compared to other enchantments.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Grunker Your bearded elf chick keeps cracking me up. :lol:

Not changing that shit back, it's hilarious. For all this game's faults, its odd insistence to implement weird tangential D&D rules are its most endearing point.

My Paladin just got advantage on a roll to persuade an Orc because she spoke Orcish. That is some roleplaying depth I can't recall seeing in any other RPG ever.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Can someone explain me, why elementals can be affected by necrotic damage at all? Isn't they are basically immortal personification of water/fire/earth/winds and whatever?

Because they are also made using "positive" energy. Note that on 5E, necrotic damage can affect even undead. On 3E, it heals undeads just like positive energy heals living.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
There was no necrotic damage in 3.5E, there was negative and positive energy.

Negative energy(3E) = necrotic damage(5E).

In 3E/Pf1E, a lot of offensive necromantic spells deals negative, OHK, physical damage, or attribute damage. All of the same spells on 5E dishes "necrotic" damage. In DDO, a epic level pale master can be walking with two death auras each one dishing ridiculous amounts of damage healing him, his minions and damaging nearby enemies and cast negative energy burst to heal himself by a lot while damages nearby non undeads. And your hireling and party members, can be reanimated and get the zombie template if he dies which makes you able to heal him too. I am playing a second life, lv 15 pale master in DDO and an loving it. Necrotic Ray can deal ludicrous amounts of damage and inflict a negative level if the enemy fails the FORT save.

Really wish that someone will mod The 5th edition pale master from grimoire entreteinment into BG3 or Solasta. Or that Tactical Adventures homebrew this class favor and sells it as a DLC. Will re download solasta to try the new sorcerer class; this time I will gonna play with 2x damage to party and 50% enemy hp cuz I prefer to kill & die faster. Will gonna play as a shock arcanist with 3 more sorcerers.

Last edited:

copebot

Learned
Doing the Caer Falcarn mini campaign with Ironman on blind with a new party, and I think it's actually quite a lot better than most of the content in the main campaign. You get the feeling that the main campaign was put together when they were earlier in development. Not having lots of weird assed vertically oriented rooms also tends to help the encounters.

There's also a pretty good way of regulating rests used in some of the early levels that could just be used in other dungeon designs using the tool. You just put the long rest area after a level of a dungeon, and then just don't have a pathway back once they enter the new level.

The game also benefits a lot from getting rid of / abstracting away the lengthy travel times. The little notes in the environment also tell a better story than in most of the MC. It's a little weird that this custom campaign has more area descriptions than the majority of the MC proper.

The Sorcerer is sort of interesting, as this is the first time I've encountered the class in any 5E context first hand. Their access to metamagic is what makes them special/different, but I would have kind of just preferred a wizard with metamagic feats.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, I'm done. It tells you everything you need to know about this game's encounter design that during the final battle, while fighting the same goddamn monsters you fought on level 4, the enemy gets a non-threatening boss while you get the assistance of *TWO* dragons :lol:

Positives:
- Some of the best actual fluff-roleplaying, if not the best, in the business. Rolling Arcana checks to recognize tablets that give you some lore and will be worth alot to the factions of the game, getting advantage on speech checks on Orcs if you know Orcish, having Insight reveal if a person is lying or maybe just giving you an edge on a Persuasion check. Really cool.
- On paper what might be the best systems of a D&D RPG ever. Look at how cool this shit is:

FK05RhQ.jpg
Yep, that's my paladin standing horizontally on a spider's web with her Cloak of Arachnids. Sick stuff. And there's a bunch more of that, 5E rules are implemented pretty well, you're excited to level up, you have many options during combat etc.

Negatives:
- Horribru story but honestly who cares
- Mediocre-to-bad encounter design that fails to utilize the genius systems
- Absolutely insane difficulty curve. Remember when Mortmal mocked me as a God amongst men because I didn't need to rest after 6 encounters? Past level 4, I don't think there's a Codexer who will have to rest in that span of encounters - and past level 6? Nigga please. You are not allowed to rest for the final sequence of fights in the game (5 fights total). I didn't know that so I burned *everything* on the first encounter and had nearly no spells left for the final fight. I still beat it, because your gear is absolute insanity at that point while monsters are still flailing at your with natural weapons and few threatening abilities. And did I mention some of the enemies are the same enemies you fought at level 4 while you get two dragons fighting for you? Yeah, it's close to winnable without even contributing.

This fact - the incredibly poor balance and so-so encounter design - harms the game beyond redemption. From level 6 to 10 I did not enjoy my time with the game despite this being like my dream game on paper. It's really impressive what they've been able to achieve with such obviously limited resources. Everything in the game is amazing - except actually playing it, because it demands nothing from you.

You can turn up the difficulty and you'll have to pay more attention, but the difficulty from the settings is just penalties to your to hit chance and saves while the enemies get bonuses. So enemies don't get more threatening or numerous - you just get fucked more by variance while your opponents get blessed by it. And it still won't be hard.

I really hope they make an encounter/difficulty patch for this one. The company is called 'Tactical Adventures' and the game is clearly about 5E combat. As a result, the trash story and characters are easily forgiven.

Bad gameplay is not.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess it's great you can continue playing something you don't enjoy, I can't. Especially because there are so many other better games I'd rather play.

Mortmal

Arcane
Well, I'm done. It tells you everything you need to know about this game's encounter design that during the final battle, while fighting the same goddamn monsters you fought on level 4, the enemy gets a non-threatening boss while you get the assistance of *TWO* dragons :lol:

Negatives:

- Absolutely insane difficulty curve. Remember when Mortmal mocked me as a God amongst men because I didn't need to rest after 6 encounters? Past level 4, I don't think there's a Codexer who will have to rest in that span of encounters - and past level 6? Nigga please. You are not allowed to rest for the final sequence of fights in the game (5 fights total). I didn't know that so I burned *everything* on the first encounter and had nearly no spells left for the final fight. I still beat it, because your gear is absolute insanity at that point while monsters are still flailing at your with natural weapons and few threatening abilities. And did I mention some of the enemies are the same enemies you fought at level 4 while you get two dragons fighting for you? Yeah, it's close to winnable without even contributing.
Looking at the completion rate for the first gems its 25.9% , so on the codex people wont have trouble but it's apprently too hard for most people still. Last part was indeed without rest, but those are 5-6 medium encounters,its what it should be all the time . Strangely only happens in the end. I bet it was supposed to be like that since the beggining but they had no time to change the last part.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
26% is really high these days. Can’t remember the last game I finished and wasn’t because too hard.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Looking at the completion rate for the first gems its 25.9%

why are you assuming that's related to difficulty. isn't it kindda normal for most games to just stay unplayed in people's library. in fact 1/4 of all people getting the first gems sounds kindda high

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom