Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some DXHR impressions

I got HR from the steam sales. So far I like everything about it except for the stupid fucking boss fights, I'm stuck on the first one and have no desire to try and beat him. What's that? You played a stealthy character who tried to avoid people first and then do a non-lethal takedown if he absolutely must? Too bad, here, take this shotgun and shoot this faggy fag in the face a few times like Rambo would. :rage:
But other than that, I enjoy the music, the hacking minigame, the combat gameplay is popamole but still leagues ahead of what DX had to offer since the combat mechanics were pure shit in the original one.
So far I think it's on par with the original DE. Both have flaws and strengths, but in different areas. I guess it depends on what areas you find more important that makes you choose which game is better.
And lastly, I think the devs were playing a lot more Metal Gear Solid when developing HR rather than DE.

I clocked the game without getting combat or armour upgrades. And stealth CAN be really useful for boss fights. You just need to remember that invis in this game isn't the godmode that it was in DX - and that's a good thing. Invis allows you to get into cover and ambush the boss opponent - multiple times if you want to use the recharge items. And that is an insane advantage. You DO have to watch for sound though - the AI loves to use both grenades and AoE attacks whenever you go invis, either on the last place they saw you (so move QUICK as soon as you go invis) or anywhere that you make a noise (so don't bump into shit).

You use the 4-5 seconds of invis to get behind cover, and from there it should be no problem to sneak behind your opponent. From there you can almost always get an easy win. With the first guy, he's basically a tank, so I suggest that once he doesn't know where you are, you lob a bunch of grenades at him (emp grenades are superb on bosses, as they all have emp-based augs), and follow it up with a stun gun. Then go stun, grenade/shotgun, stun, grenade/shotgun and you should finish him really easily.

There are plenty of combat areas where a stealth build really saves your ass, particularly once you reach the 2nd hub. Being able to skip 3 floors of combat and invis out the door in one of the most imbalanced ambushes in the game (I only played it on hardest difficulty) - with armoured grunts who can wear entire entire clips at close range without getting hurt, and with one-shot-kill AoE spread machineguins that you can't even use effectively back against them unless you've invested massively in combat - being able to just jump off the balcony, invis to cover, and stealth out the door was a massive help.

2nd (or is it 3rd?) boss is easier for a stealth build as well - the one with the anti-EMP attacks that rape you if she gets the jump on you. Again, stealth build gives you a few seconds of invis so that YOU get the jump on HER - draining all her abilities with a few EMP grenades, then invis and move, then a barrage of explosive grenades, then stun/shotgun/stun etc. Getting the jump on a boss easily makes up for the combat disadvantage, and a stealth build used well should enable you to get the jump on pretty much everyone in the game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you relying on them not noticing, that is different from run and gun where you are strafing to avoid getting hit while shooting back. I have run and gun before but with high weapon skills.
I don't know, seems like an unnecessary semantics thing to me. I'm running around and shooting everybody, and I'm not walking, crouch-walking, or using stop and pop tactics (outside of firing a shot and running backwards/behind a wall which is also necessary in Doom). Is it not running and gunning in Doom if you shoot the monsters when their backs are turned? Or if you kill those hitscan soldiers before they can even get a shot off?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it not running and gunning in Doom if you shoot the monsters when their backs are turned? Or if you kill those hitscan soldiers before they can even get a shot off?
Sure, but that is not what the people here are talking about. Do you actually exchange gunfire early in DX while running around? On Realistic you can die with a shot and the enemy can survive headshots. I don't think an average Doom gamer can pull off Doom style combat in Deus Ex. What you are describing seems to be running behind/near them using the laser pointer to deliver headshots... thats highly skilled fps maneuver that is an exception.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Guys
GUYS
I just wanted to say this picture in the credits was the best part about the DXHR DLC thank you and god bless
E18F6BB824407F4ACFF37435FBEE359E21D6A6C4
Multiheaded cow spotted.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
^ Sure you do it, but are we talking about norms or exceptions? Possibility of run&gun or the general level of skill in Deus Ex? I can run around with a crowbar & dragontooth but I will agree that melee in Deus Ex is unfeasible. Wyrmie was using an exception to argue that he can run and gun.
That is like someone saying Ultima Underworld 2 has headless and gazers at the start which is unfair to players as they unbeatable, and then me showing that they are wrong (like in my LP). I am the exception, am I wrong? Of course not. But I do understand what and why people say run & gun is not feasible. If they copied how I do they will be able to, but most people will just miss in Deus Ex when they play Doom style and then post youtube videos that shooting sucks in Deus Ex. lololz I am special agent but cannot hit people.

SoupNazi

"A couple of us did it"

Yeah, and in other news I slept with Britney Spears when she was 18

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom