Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sony shutting down PS3, PS Vita and PSP store

cruel

Cipher
Wasn't sure where to put this. It seems that Sony is getting rid of all the digital games in their store for PS3 / Vita / PSP:

https://www.destructoid.com/stories...tores-would-be-the-end-of-an-era-623576.phtml

So, if somebody haven't played some jRPG he wanted and owns PS3 / Vita / PSP, this is the last chance to get it (other than emulators of course).

RPG Site put a nice list of all the exclusive games that will be gone:
https://www.rpgsite.net/news/10902-...ystation-network-for-ps1-ps2-ps3-psp-and-vita

So, games like Suikoden, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Grandia III, Shin Megami Tensei: DDS, Persona 3 FES or Drakengard 3 will be soon impossible to buy :| Good job Sony.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Sony's president has been vocal about not understanding why people want to play old games: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...ay-classic-playstation-games/?sh=2d5fdac63890

He is typical corporate exec that's out of touch with his target market. Microsoft on the other hand is getting better at this "gaming" thing. They understand the value of the consoles are in their unique offering which includes old exclusives.

Honestly Sony is shooting itself in the foot. True exclusives are getting rarer and usually are made by internal studios. With MS on studio buying spree, I am seeing Sony to lose this gen console wars

Gastrick

Cipher
Does anyone know of any titles that you will never be able to get after?

Gearmos

Educated
According to them, Sony will announce it at the end of this month, just when they are giving away 9 games as part of the "Play at Home" initiative. Coincidence?

I hope they continue to give access to already purchased games for a few more years. I know everyone takes it for granted, but I doubt they're going to give indefinite access to digital downloads for legacy systems. And the problem isn't just digital games, because even physical games depend on patches (especially day one patches) and DLCs. And it's not just Sony, the same can happen with Nintendo, Microsoft, Valve, EA, etc.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sony's president has been vocal about not understanding why people want to play old games: https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...ay-classic-playstation-games/?sh=2d5fdac63890

He is typical corporate exec that's out of touch with his target market. Microsoft on the other hand is getting better at this "gaming" thing. They understand the value of the consoles are in their unique offering which includes old exclusives.

Honestly Sony is shooting itself in the foot. True exclusives are getting rarer and usually are made by internal studios. With MS on studio buying spree, I am seeing Sony to lose this gen console wars

Yeah I've always said how retarded Microsoft was for selling an entry level PC and convincing normies it's a console, and stuck with the Pureisuteshoneru instead but Sony has been making retarded moves since the (slim) PS3.

The fat PS3 was fully backwards compatible. For the slim they removed PS2 compatibility. In the PS4 they didn't even bother.

Now with the PS5 they have like 1 launch game so they had no choice but to include some sort of backwards compatibility. For now. And they're removing old games from their store. Not to mention YOU STILL CAN'T EVEN BUY THE FUCKING THING ANYWHERE JESUS FUCK.

Meanwhile, the worst I can say about the Xbawx is that the naming scheme is straight up retarded. But the console is in stores everywhere, the online service is dirt cheap and you can play every single game made for every xbawx ever since the first one. Oh and you don't need a cupboard the size of an aircraft hangar to keep it in.

flyingjohn

Arcane

Sony president is just saying what his California friends tell him to say.Sony of Japan can't even do anything without begging the American branch first.
And we all know how much Western corpos love the ability of consumers to play old games and not shit remasters.

ferratilis

Magister
Don't care, been using pkgj for a long time and it's great.
:kfc:

And it's not like new games are coming out for the Vita. There hasn't been anything good in at least 5 years. More work has been done by homebrew community than Sony has ever done for it. You can even buy custom replacement parts that Sony had nothing to do with. They basically gave up on Vita shortly after release. Fuck them.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Sony president is just saying what his California friends tell him to say.Sony of Japan can't even do anything without begging the American branch first.
And we all know how much Western corpos love the ability of consumers to play old games and not shit remasters.

Those California friends probably don't want people playing "problematic" old games. Can't have people remembering how things used to be.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Might buy a vita soon, this is good news because it will be cheaper now and i was planning to install homebrew on it anyway. When will people undestand that digital purchases means that you are just renting the game? You will own nothing goyim and you will be happy about it, after all owning things is cumbersome right? Now get in your pod.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
So how many of these disappearing Vita games are digital-only? Yeah, rising prices, limited availability of physical games, but they're not gone if they're on disc/card/whatever. The Vita seems to be of the most concern since there's no good emulation for it yet, while the rest are in good shape or getting there.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Wow
Not even Nintendo is this retarded with their online services

Oh well, all the more reason to pirate their shit...

I've actually pondered about getting a PS3 fat once I move my office room
How the homebrew scene for the PS3?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Wow
Not even Nintendo is this retarded with their online services

Oh well, all the more reason to pirate their shit...

I've actually pondered about getting a PS3 fat once I move my office room
How the homebrew scene for the PS3?

Non existent.

Firmware is impossible to hack since years ago, and the guy that cracked the previous version had his door kicked in with extreme fucking prejudice by the FBI. In Australia.

Child rape gangs, sex trafficking cartels and international drug syndicates? Meh. we'll deal with that later. Maybe. But hacking a piece of electronics you own? Shit just got serious.

Luzur

Good Sir
Why people keep paying over and over for age old games when they can just download and refuse Sony and their slavemasters funding is beyond me

ferratilis

Magister
Not sure about PS3 (never had one), but the PS Vita homebrew community has been busy. They've made a bunch of cool stuff, and there's more to come in the future. Emulators will get better (SNES and Nintendo emulation in general are still a bit wonky), there will be even more oldschool games on it (right now, you can play Diablo 1, Doom, Duke Nukem, Caesar 3, GTA 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein etc.) All in all, the community loves that console so much that they've given it a new life. And who wouldn't, honestly. The D-pad is amazing, OLED screen gives a beautiful, crisp image, it doesn't drift, it's easy to carry around while not being too small, hardware is fairly reliable. All its faults can be blamed on Sony's mismanagement in post-launch support. Under Sony, Vita was a console for weeb RPGs, visual novels and indie games, now it's more than that.
This is the main resource: VitaDB by Vita Nuova (rinnegatamante.it)

And considering the advancements made with RPCS3, in a few years time PS3 emulation will hopefully be so good that owning the console won't be necessary. Except Metal Gear Solid, which requires pressure sensitive button. Fucking Kojima :argh:

Terra

Cipher
Prime example of why going digital in walled garden console eco system is a very bad idea for customers.

However, hard copy games ceased to have value once online connectivity for consoles became a thing too. Even if sony isn't taking down their update servers at this time, at some point they will. Let's say you hold in your hand a physical PS3 exclusive game some years from now and you want to play it:
-the game on the disc is unpatched, the servers are down and you cannot download any patches.
-dlc isnt on the disc, server is down, you're shit out of luck there
-game got ported to another console platform; great, maybe you can rebuy it and enjoy that version for a few years until those servers go down.
-game never got ported to another platform at all; boy you're shit outta luck now

A friend (sony fanboy unfortunately) asked me why I always went to so much trouble to ensure I jailbroke my consoles and I explained this exact situation to him would play out and continue to play out, underlining why console exclusives are a very bad thing and that he should want those games on PC to ensure the game's longevity, and as things stand he'd be locked into a cycle of rebuying Last of Us Remaster'd for generations to come.
Underpinning all this you just gotta hope that both the emulation scene for that platform bore fruit and any DRM on that system was sufficiently bypassed to allow for iso backups to be played.

PC is as ever the way to go as the sole persistent platform, even when incompatibilities exist, they can be worked around in 99% of cases.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Don't you guys own phones?

Seriously though, the only reason to play a modern console game is to try and fail to recapture the freshness and excitement of games in their golden age. It's a junkie's hell where all the needles are made of rubber.

Tehdagah

Arcane
According to them, Sony will announce it at the end of this month, just when they are giving away 9 games as part of the "Play at Home" initiative. Coincidence?

I hope they continue to give access to already purchased games for a few more years. I know everyone takes it for granted, but I doubt they're going to give indefinite access to digital downloads for legacy systems. And the problem isn't just digital games, because even physical games depend on patches (especially day one patches) and DLCs. And it's not just Sony, the same can happen with Nintendo, Microsoft, Valve, EA, etc.
They are also shutting down the PS4 communities*, which is terrible for niche multiplayer games. The communities were the best places to find another players.

*apparently they want people to use the PlayStation app instead, which is shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom