Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review SoU mixed feelings at Games Domain

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Binary said:
NWN did bring something new to the genre: the possibility for a human to play the role of the "Dungeon Master", a burden taken by the CPU on the rest of the existant RPGs.

Volourn is correct. It was Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption that was released back in January 2000 that introduced the multiplayer DM mode to the genre - Not NWN.

How many times have there been such innovations to the genre in the last years? Since the release of Windows 95, I remember only 3 times this has happened:

Might & Magic 6 (improved on M&M7 and 8): a 1st person combat system switchable between real time and turn based.

Which really didn't work well. This isn't an innovation. It's a really bad idea that never, ever should have come about.

Faery Tale Adventure 2: A 3rd person combat system that switched between RT and TB depending on how fast you were controlling your players (know it sounds confusing, has to be played to fully grasp the concept)

Again, piss poor idea, never should have been done.

Diablo 1 (much improved on Diablo 2): random drops made out of a list of suffixes and prefixes

While a nice touch, I'd hardly even say it's remotely in the top three BIG INNOVATIONS OF THE GENRE. Hell, Fallout has three big ones..

Fallout's SPECIAL system introduced Perks, something WotC adopted for D&D.

Fallout introduced multiple story endings based on how the game was played.

Fallout introduced the speech skill to the genre.

Even if some people like them and others don't, It's these kinds of innovations that might keep the CRPG genre from stagnating.

Switchable real time with pause never works well, and never will. You end up with a watered down version of both systems because you have make sure things work for both. You have to limit your design.

Zetor

Arcane
Actually, Might&Magic III also had random prefix / postfix drops, as did many roguelike games. Diablo was hardly an original game, IMNSHHO.
Darklands had speech skills [2 of 'em: common / noble] before Fallout, although they weren't used for actual conversation often [Darklands was more about adventuring than talking to random people anyway], just as an alternate way of dealing with some situations.

Also, as an aside, what about Vagrant Story's combat system? [description here] It was player AND character skill based, but if you were lacking in one, you could make up for it by getting more of the other.
I dunno -- while I did perceive pausing in BG1-2 as a necessary [and immersion-breaking, illogical, etc] evil, in VS the "pause-before-you-strike" thing didn't hurt the game at all. In fact, if you wanted to kill some easier monsters, you could just use the default targeting and instead focus on chaining some attacks correctly to minimize the time you spent fighting.

-- Z.
praising RT console action-"rpg"s since 2003 :shock: :P

Binary

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Binary said:
NWN did bring something new to the genre: the possibility for a human to play the role of the "Dungeon Master", a burden taken by the CPU on the rest of the existant RPGs.

Volourn is correct. It was Vampire: the Masquerade - Redemption that was released back in January 2000 that introduced the multiplayer DM mode to the genre - Not NWN.

My bad then. I completely disregarded VtM when it came out

How many times have there been such innovations to the genre in the last years? Since the release of Windows 95, I remember only 3 times this has happened:

Might & Magic 6 (improved on M&M7 and 8 ): a 1st person combat system switchable between real time and turn based.

Which really didn't work well. This isn't an innovation. It's a really bad idea that never, ever should have come about.

Didn't work well?! Tell me a 1st person RPG with a better combat system. Also, please tell me what's wrong with this one, and why it isn't innovative.

Faery Tale Adventure 2: A 3rd person combat system that switched between RT and TB depending on how fast you were controlling your players (know it sounds confusing, has to be played to fully grasp the concept)

Again, piss poor idea, never should have been done.

????? This is the best combat system I have ever seen, and I pretty much think I've seen them all, since Akalabeth or Temple of Apshai. It's basically a turn-based combat system but if you keep LMB pressed it speeds up to real-time.

Diablo 1 (much improved on Diablo 2): random drops made out of a list of suffixes and prefixes

While a nice touch, I'd hardly even say it's remotely in the top three BIG INNOVATIONS OF THE GENRE.

You are completely off the point. Were we naming the top three innovations of the genre? If we were, then I have to vote for Akalabeth, Wizardry 1, and Ultima 4.

Hell, Fallout has three big ones..

LOL is this a innovation? It's a very interesting system but already existing in pen&paper RPGs, other than that it's just a character creating system that still fails short of other interesting and original ones like the ones on Darklands, Megatraveller...

Fallout introduced multiple story endings based on how the game was played.

One other thing that had been done before. Remember Wizardry 6 or have you never played it? Has 5 different endings depending on how you have been playing the game. Wizardry 7 also had this and I'm sure I could think a bit more to find others.

Fallout introduced the speech skill to the genre.

As it was pointed out, the use of a skill to influence NPCs or not had already been used before on Darklands (a masterpiece RPG -- try it if you haven't yet). Even so, is it such a "big innovation"? Other games before have based NPC reactions on alignment/karma instead of a skill (nearly the same) and it was not groundbreaking

Even if some people like them and others don't, It's these kinds of innovations that might keep the CRPG genre from stagnating.

Switchable real time with pause never works well, and never will. You end up with a watered down version of both systems because you have make sure things work for both. You have to limit your design.

XCom-Apocalypse (OK, not a RPG) gave the player the option of playing either on RT or TB and it worked well. I too prefer TB combat systems, but they're not easy to pull on 1st person RPGs (older M&M and Wizardry games often became boring, not to mention chess-like based on the Arkania games), hence the brilliant idea of Jon van Caneghem to implement both systems on the same game.

As far as innovations go, there is still room to prevent the genre from stagnating. Want some food for thought? For example, what about a RPG in which the PC is not the hero but a "simple" sidekick instead...? Playing Shamino instead of the Avatar...!

DrattedTin

Liturgist
I think the problem is people think "wow, that really sounds cool, so it must be the ONLY innovation in the last few years!".

You'd be hard put to name an innovation in RPGs that doesn't have a predecessor in some game in the past. To me, it's more about execution than innovation, but maybe I'm alone on that.

Binary

Liturgist
DrattedTin said:
You'd be hard put to name an innovation in RPGs that doesn't have a predecessor in some game in the past. To me, it's more about execution than innovation, but maybe I'm alone on that.

That's a valid point. There are some innovations I can think of that have no predecessors (like playing the hero's sidekick instead of the hero itself), and there are some innovations with rare or little-known predecessors.

For example: world persistence between games. IIRC only 3 games had this: Mordor, Demise Rise of the Ku'Tan and Valhalla (later released as Ragnarok, freeware RPG).

In these games, what you did with one party reflected itself on your game with the next one. You could find the dead remains of the previous party for example (Ragnarok had this implemented to a smaller extent -- you would find the hostile ghost of the previous heroes, nothing more).

Anyway, Robert Fisher used to say "Anything is new if it was forgotten" (or similar ;) ) so some of these long-gone ideas might prove to become fresh air in a market of RPGs filled with poor-kid-farmer-becomes-hero-and-gets-fabled-artifact-to-defeat-bad-foozle-in-the-end games :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Binary said:
My bad then. I completely disregarded VtM when it came out.

So did most people. :D

????? This is the best combat system I have ever seen, and I pretty much think I've seen them all, since Akalabeth or Temple of Apshai. It's basically a turn-based combat system but if you keep LMB pressed it speeds up to real-time.

Which doesn't allow for more than just holding the button to repeat previous moves. Basically, you end up with using the mouse button as the space bar wacking in Baldur's Gate.

You are completely off the point. Were we naming the top three innovations of the genre?

Umm.. I guess we are, since you said:

• How many times have there been such innovations to the genre in the last years?[/quote]

Of course, most of the stuff in the last three years has been basically feature cutting and pasting, and my point is that there have been games that pushed the envelope a lot farther than any recent ones.

If we were, then I have to vote for Akalabeth, Wizardry 1, and Ultima 4.

Ultima 4, I'll agree with.

LOL is this a innovation? It's a very interesting system but already existing in pen&paper RPGs, other than that it's just a character creating system that still fails short of other interesting and original ones like the ones on Darklands, Megatraveller...

Considering the amount of customization it allows a character to have beyond creation, no matter what type of character that is, I'd say it's fairly innovative. This type of innovation really works well in both class based and non-class based as well, by allowing diversity in spite of archetyping.

One other thing that had been done before. Remember Wizardry 6 or have you never played it? Has 5 different endings depending on how you have been playing the game. Wizardry 7 also had this and I'm sure I could think a bit more to find others.

Per location.

Binary

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Binary said:
My bad then. I completely disregarded VtM when it came out.

So did most people. :D

God knows why! :D

Which doesn't allow for more than just holding the button to repeat previous moves. Basically, you end up with using the mouse button as the space bar wacking in Baldur's Gate.

You can put it that way if you want, but on the other hand (not literally speaking ;) ) you can just click the LMB instead of keeping it pressed and it basically plays like TB

You are completely off the point. Were we naming the top three innovations of the genre?

Umm.. I guess we are, since you said:

• How many times have there been such innovations to the genre in the last years?

• notice the two last words "last years" :)

Of course, most of the stuff in the last three years has been basically feature cutting and pasting, and my point is that there have been games that pushed the envelope a lot farther than any recent ones.

That's what I'm saying, there are whole new ideas and features that could be implemented.

At least I hope we'll have less farmer-boy-who-gains-powerful-artifact-and-saves-the-world-from-bad-foozle RPGs!!!

If we were, then I have to vote for Akalabeth, Wizardry 1, and Ultima 4.

Ultima 4, I'll agree with.

Akalabeth was the first RPG (beating Apshai by a month, IIRC)
    Wizardry 1 was the first party-based RPG
    Ultima 4 was the first non-violent, righteous, (and oh so many other things) RPG

I can suggest more:
    Darklands was the first open-ended RPG - in fact the game had no end, you could play your whole life until dying of old age
    Wizardry 4 was the first (only?) RPG in which you played the bad guy
    Knights of Lore was the first RPG with a mouse interface, if I'm not mistaken?
    Daggerfall was the first RPG in which you could make your own character class.

etc

Considering the amount of customization it allows a character to have beyond creation, no matter what type of character that is, I'd say it's fairly innovative. This type of innovation really works well in both class based and non-class based as well, by allowing diversity in spite of archetyping.

Once again I suggest Darklands. Customization was more varied (and more realistic IMHO -- I'm all against xp and level-up systems) than Fallout's.

Per location.

• Not sure I'm following you there? Per location?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I think people ignored Vampire because as bad as some here think NWN; Vampire is THAT much worst. :D

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Binary said:
Not sure I'm following you there? Per location?
He means different endings per locations. i.e. not several generic endings but detailed endings describing how your actions affected each location you visited.

Binary

Liturgist
Ah OK, thanks for the explanation. But that was just an extra in the "reward sequence", not something actually innovative, the way I see it.

I'm remembering a different game in which I've seen a similar "reward sequence" depending on what you had done on the game. Knights of Xentar?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom