Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
It will probably be based off that ridiculous anime parody episode with the "Let's fighting love" song on it.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
South Park makes fun of jews, niggers, faggots, trannys, mexicans, asians, europeans, obama,...

So shouldn't Codex be all over this?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
If the game flops, Obsidian (not the absurd concept) will be blamed and it will be even harder for them to find work and survive. If anything, this game already shows how limited their options are.

They're options are limited? No, they aren't. They are probably in the best state since the founding.

KOTOR2 and NWN2 they got because of Bioware. Aliens and AP was an attempt by SEGA to expand into WRPGs and go for the next best RPG studios.

They got into problems with ALL three publishers.

Now they have two publishers they are on good terms with (Bethesda and Square Enix). They are in a more secure condition than ever.

Not to mention Obsidian employees are excited about this game. John Gonzalez who wrote New Vegas and is now an EX-Dev has praised the game even in its February 2011 state today.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
fizzelopeguss said:
Vault Dweller said:

I'm not understanding you. It's a massive show, makes millions in merchandising and the shows two creators are rich as fuck and game fans.
And? Does it mean that it's an insta-win? That you can make any South Park product and it's gonna sell like hotcakes, just because the show is massive and make millions on the merchandise?

of course not, but it has a far better chance than dung siege ever did, Southpark actually has mindshare with the public.

They're an independent developer moving from paycheck to paycheck, and their own IP bombed like a motherfucker...the licensed stuff is actually working out for them. This might actually be a really shitty, or fantastic contract...neither of us have a clue.

You brought up 40k like THQ has any interest in an RPG based on it. THQ is a company that's a farts whisper away from death, they're bleeding money like nobody's business. Their last 40k game simply didn't perform, their RTS has a niche (albeit profitable) on PC and they're spending heavily on the MMO as they need some kind of big name or regular income. As a company they're all 40k'd out. And GW aren't a firm you want to be beholden to.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
VD's right, this is a huge risk both for THQ and especially for Obsidian. I personally can't see how this is going to be adapted into a full-fledged RPG; I think as a mobile app it might have promise.

Has South Park ever been drawn in 3D, by any chance, btw? Aren't they going to have to come up with 3D versions of everything in order to do an RPG? How is that going to look with their weird bopping around-looking "walking" that they do?

This is just such an odd idea.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Crispy said:
VD's right, this is a huge risk both for THQ and especially for Obsidian. I personally can't see how this is going to be adapted into a full-fledged RPG; I think as a mobile app it might have promise.

Has South Park ever been drawn in 3D, by any chance, btw? Aren't they going to have to come up with 3D versions of everything in order to do an RPG? How is that going to look with their weird bopping around-looking "walking" that they do?

This is just such an odd idea.

It's 2D. And this is not a "huge" risk for Obsidian. AP was a higher risk.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
The whole thing? :lol:

I'm predicting massive failure here. Megaflop.

In fact, I think this may spell the end for Obsidian, and merely for the effort they've put in over the years that'll make me sad.

Edit to your edit: Making any game is a risk, and RPG's particularly so. There's a limited audience as it is, despite RPG's growing popularity (thanks to Oblivion), and then you go and combine that with such an unnatural setting for a conventional RPG. Sure, unconventional may be what they're going for, but that leads to risk.

They're taking a risk.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Crispy said:

In fact, I think this may spell the end for Obsidian, and merely for the effort they've pu in over the years that'll make me sad.

The game will sell at least moderate on license alone. Not to mention it will be p. good from what we know so far.

Matt & Trey (The SP guys) also somehow managed to produce one of the most successful broadway musicals of all time.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
8903.png

Glum Crispy said:

In fact, I think this may spell the end for Obsidian, and merely for the effort they've pu in over the years that'll make me sad.

It will never work.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Jesus, I forgot about that. Was that essentially a light RPG?

Obsidian must've bumped their heads. Not only has this shit been done already on N64 (the concept, anyway), but they're attempting to resurrect it after its heyday has long come and gone. I know a lot of people still watch South Park, but if you think it's still relevant this much later, you've bumped your head too.

Megaflop. Cleveian proportions. Bye bye, birdie.

Edit: In fact, I'll restate my thoughts about it from #fallout: I don't think this game's ever going to see the light of day. It'll get cancelled in about 3 months from now. Quote me.

thesoup

Arcane
I will laugh and quote each and every one of you if this game manages to be not failtastic.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Crispy said:
Jesus, I forgot about that. Was that essentially a light RPG?

Obsidian must've bumped their heads. Not only has this shit been done already on N64 (the concept, anyway), but they're attempting to resurrect it after its heyday has long come and gone. I know a lot of people still watch South Park, but if you think it's still relevant this much later, you've bumped your head too.

Megaflop. Cleveian proportions. Bye bye, birdie.

Edit: In fact, I'll restate my thoughts about it from #fallout: I don't think this game's ever going to see the light of day. It'll get cancelled in about 3 months from now. Quote me.
'k

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Crispy said:
I know a lot of people still watch South Park, but if you think it's still relevant this much later, you've bumped your head too.
Sure, having God knows how many seasons and millions of viewers don't make the show relevant at all.

What really hurts my head is that how narrow minded the Codex became suddenly. We know nothing about the game, yet you are bringing the torches and the pitchforks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Crispy said:
Not only that, but if their job listings for level designers are anything to go by, they're making it in Flash.

As for the popularity argument, it's significant enough for Game Informer to put it on a full-spread magazine cover and pay big money for the exclusive preview rights. That's Skyrim/Dragon Age 2 big.

Edit: Never mind what I said, some NeoGaf fellow already got his issue, and it's using Onyx. Also using Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi style combat (turn based with timed clicks for increased damage/defense) which I see as potentially incline.

flushfire

Augur
seriously wouldn't mind an iso jrpg ala super mario rpg but in the southpark setting. it'll at least be different from all the FP/3pp 'serious' action/adv with rpg elements.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
fizzelopeguss said:
You brought up 40k like THQ has any interest in an RPG based on it. THQ is a company that's a farts whisper away from death, they're bleeding money like nobody's business.
And why do you think I brought it up?

"THQ and Obsidian Entertainment are teaming up to create an epic South Park RPG."

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
IronicNeurotic said:
Vault Dweller said:
If the game flops, Obsidian (not the absurd concept) will be blamed and it will be even harder for them to find work and survive. If anything, this game already shows how limited their options are.

They're options are limited? No, they aren't. They are probably in the best state since the founding.
Best state?

They started with KOTOR 2 and NWN2, two fucking behemoths with massive built-in audiences coming both from the license and success of the original titles. I can't say whether or not Obsidian did everything they could to take advantage of this rare opportunity, but LA isn't interested in working with them on KOTOR 3 and Atari isn't eager to do NWN3.

Feargus worked his magic and got Fallout 3 expansions for Obsidian. Obsidian made a shitload of them, but now it's over, and it's unlikely that Bethesda will let them work on Skyrim. In between they worked on AP and canceled Aliens RPG. Then they made the DS slam dunk.

So, KOTOR2 and NWN2 vs "we made it for the lulz" South Park RPG, "will code for rent" Wheel of Time, and DS3. Plus the announced game. It sure looks like they are running out of time and will take anything that's offered, instead of being in a position to pick and choose.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Oh lord.

-There are five classes, which are wizard, paladin, adventurer, rogue, and a fifth unannounced class.

So it's Southpark D&D. I guess.

-Obsidian is using the Dungeon Siege III engine.

So it's 2D 3D. I guess.

-Many elements of the combat system are like Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi games.

Wait, it's supposed to be an RPG, right?

-When Obsidian were first coming up with ideas they show Parker and Stone a quest where you go into a cave and fight a giant bat boss that Ike is riding on, Parker and Stone said that the quest wasn't Southpark, that it was a generic video-game. Parker and Stone then mention a quest to get Kung Pao Chicken from City Wok, to readjust Obsidian focus.

Wait, I thought all the writing was done by the two nerds who invented Southpark. Obsidian cannot into comedy, but... they're trying?

-Parker has been a lifelong gamer... His favorite game is Oblivion.

I'll just leave that one sit there.

(Matt) hasn’t play(ed) an RPG in years because he got tired of walking everywhere.

That... can't be good.

Also you can explore the town between quests its a little vague it sound like walking around the town is 2D the writer mentions "exploration takes the characters from the left to the the right(and vice versa), but branching paths occasionally take them in the background or foreground to prevent the game for m becoming overly linear".

So again, it's 2D 3D. I guess. Wut?

There are a few screenshot of combat, the editor mentions that encounters are like classic Final Fantasy that are presented from a side view.

In other words it's a hipster JRPG. Using the Dungeon Siege III engine. In 2D. I mean 3D. With Obsidian doing the writing. Overseen by two guys who don't really get RPG's.

Yeah, this'll fly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So it's basically a "Mass Appealing" Action game.

What were you people expecting? It's South Park.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Laughing at Crispy's inability to understand that Onyx isn't necessarily a 3D engine. Engines are more than renderers you know?

Jaesun said:
So it's basically a "Mass Appealing" Action game.
Since when are jrpgs mass appealing action games? Are you really calling the Mario jrpgs action games?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom