Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SoZ Preview at IGN

Warden

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
Aren't you supposed to be some sort of mercenary/man-at-arms/whatever? Level 1 = farmboy, and a mercenary would kind of *need* to be experienced in the first place before someone ships him into some strange islands.

No, I'm a level 1 warrior. Not a level 1 farmboy. Farmboys/commoners/peasants have a different level up table.

If everything else fails, people, use logic. When you start counting, where do you start? That's right - with 1.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah, what's with the strange assumption that in an RPG you always have to start with an unexperienced individual as your character? Sounds weird. It's the job of the designers to tell a convinvcing story about how you got to your current level, of course.

Radisshu

Prophet
Lesifoere said:
Radisshu said:
Lesifoere said:
Seboss said:
Wyrmlord said:
Look, actually, I like Eddings. He is fun to read.
His whole "Western Europe against the evil Middle East - but in Fantasy!" business makes me want to puke.

Not to mention "each ethical group shares one single personality between all members!" or the whole misguided attempt at feminism. Fuck Eddings. With a red-hot poker, please.

I only read like half of one of his books a very long time ago, what's his attempt at feminism?

In his world, supposedly feminist women--like that sorceress chick with the white lock of hair--have the attitude of "oh, men are so silly they need wives to GENTLY GUIDE THEM" and some "women must be feminine in exactly this manner or they're silly" condescension. Eddings confuses sexism with feminism, apparently. (Yes, yes, I know what the Codex in general thinks of feminism, etc etc.)

So, eh, his idea of feminism is the opposite of feminism? I think I'm going to avoid him. I was already planning to, anyway.

Warden

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
How nice of you to totally miss my point.

What was your point, again, honey? That you must be someone experienced..<blank>. Honey, a level 1 warrior/rogue/warlock is experienced at fighting like.. lets say.. a level 10 farmboy.

So.. if it's so hard for you to start a new game at level 1 - just imagine you're a very experienced, level 10, farmboy. Ok? :wink:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Oh yeah, a level 1 warrior is sooooo experienced. Experienced enough to hit a goblin once every ten times with a wooden stick.

Radisshu

Prophet
Warden, dear, that's bullshit. Changing the entire system is a much more complicated way of making the players slightly more powerful than just adding a few levels, especially when you consider that this is just a single campaign.

Warden

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
Oh yeah, a level 1 warrior is sooooo experienced. Experienced enough to hit a goblin once every ten times with a wooden stick.

Is "every 10 times" the synonym of a combat round/6 seconds?

Radisshu

Prophet
Damn, I just remembered low-level combat in BG.

Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, hit. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss. Swing, miss.

Warden

Arbiter
Radisshu said:
Warden, dear, that's bullshit. Changing the entire system is a much more complicated way of making the players slightly more powerful than just adding a few levels, especially when you consider that this is just a single campaign.

Changing the entire system? Don't overdramatize always, emo drama queen. :cutting veins:

You can add some additional HP in a heartbeat.
Cut the bullshit you took from the Bio boards where every Bio developer, when asked about implementing something they don't like/want, is like - oh that's sooo hard to do, soo complicated, sooo ooooh you can't even imagine to be able to imagine to grasp it. :roll: Yes, go program tetris.
(Sure, that would still be impossible to do for someone like you, but luckily you're not working for Obsidian.)

Radisshu

Prophet
Warden said:
Radisshu said:

Changing the entire system? Don't overdramatize always, emo drama queen. :cutting veins:

Cut the bullshit you took from the Bio boards where every Bio developer, when asked about implementing something they don't like/want, is like - oh that's sooo hard to do, soo complicated, sooo ooooh you can't even imagine to be able to imagine to grasp it. :roll: Yes, go program tetris.
(Sure, that would still be impossible to do for someone like you, but luckily you're not working for Obsidian.)

Oh, Warden, I'll never grow tired of you.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Warden said:
I'm pretty sure you can hit a goblin at level 1 every other round. Is Raddishu your drama mentor maybe?

Uh-huh... totally. Raddishu's post is quite spot-on

Warden said:

Yes, it would need to change the entire system.

You want to add HPs to level 1 characters?
Ok, and then, I guess, level 2 characters have more hp too, right?
Or they don't get additional hp while leveling, until the additional level 1 hp balances out? Great way to fuck up leveling.

Radisshu

Prophet
Yeah, they'd pretty much need to rebalance everything. And the previous campaigns as well, since you want them to change the levels completely rather than just raising the starting level.

Warden

Arbiter
Darth Roxor said:
Yes, it would need to change the entire system. (No.)

You want to add HPs to level 1 characters? (Yes.)
Ok, and then, I guess, level 2 characters have more hp too, right? (Yes.*)
Or they don't get additional hp while leveling, until the additional level 1 hp balances out? (No.) Great way to fuck up leveling. (No.)

Or.. maybe just STFU and let the pros (i.e. Obsidian) do the programming and how-tos, and you just hand them your money.. and again STFU.. No drama, no philosophating, just STFU.

*Not having max HP rolls on level up would be my preference anyway.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Warden said:
Or.. maybe just STFU and let the pros (i.e. Obsidian) do the programming and how-tos, and you just hand them your money.. and again STFU.. No drama, no philosophating, just STFU.

I take it as evidence I was spot on.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
:facepalm:
clarification: this whole argue over 10 level farmer, level 1 warrior etc, change the system in one add-on because I, warden, see it as more proper way, than to just start at 3 level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom