Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Space Hack interview at RealGamer

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Rebelmind; Space Hack

<a href=http://www.realgamer.co.uk>RealGamer UK</a> posted an <a href=http://www.realgamer.co.uk/features/space_hack.html>interview</a> with <b>Krzysztof Krawczyk</b> about <a href=http://www.rebelmind.com/spacehack>Space Hack</a>, a Diablo-like sci-fi RPG, but with some stupid twists.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>What inspired you to start development on Space Hack, and why did you use a science fiction setting? </i>
<br>
<br>
Almost all surroundings in rpg games are extremely similar to each other. In each of them we can find sorcerers, wizards and knights, not mentioning the dragons, goblins, skeletons and elfs. ... We wanted to show something different
<br>
<i>later on</i>
<br>
Very intelligent and resilient enemies will fight tearing, biting and ripping. They will use <u>the same weapon we use – these are swords, axes</u> and even energy guns.</blockquote>So, they say they are tired of fantasy, yet they put swords and axes in their sci-fi game.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>Without giving away too much what can you tell us about the games main gameplay elements? </i>
<br>
<br>
The gameplay doesn’t differ from typical representants of action/rpg genre....Four development paths are available: strength, knowledge, dexterity, vitality. Apart from that, we have the system of hi-tech items and biochips, which you can find while exploring the biospheres or buy in the village. With their help we’re able to modify our skills significantly, what enables us more strategic attitude to the fight. </blockquote> Sounds very strategic
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>How do you think Space Hack compares to other RPG’s?</i>
<br>
<br>
From the very beginning it wasn’t our aim to make the innovative and much different game. We tried to adapt the proven models in the new graphical setting. We put our efforts to create the credible Space Hack’s world. That’s why we decided to replace the magic with the energy weapon and hi-tech items. Here you can also find the unique and rare in rpg games solution. It is conected with exchanging the values of features. I described it in answer 10. We hope that good imitation of sci-fi world, proven action/rpg games mechanisms plus a grain of innovation will make a good mixture, which will satisfy many players.</blockquote>You gotta read the interview to see what RPG innovation he's talking about. It's unbelievable how stupid some people are.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Psilon

Erudite
Apparently the "innovation" they're talking about is the complete negation of skill selection (ooh, four skills!) through item swapping. It's like Lionheart's "+3 to ST, +75% to Sneak" item previews, only even more ludicrous.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Here is the innovation:

The biochip’s system, on the other hand, provides us with possibility of rising the value of specific features. Applying the mechanism of exchanging one feature’s into another feature’s value is brand new. Let’s suppose that we have the hero who has developed the “strength” and we now want to use the energy gun during the fight, which requires to have the “knowledge” feature developed. In other games the only way to do that is to start the game from the very beginning and develop the „knowledge”. Our system offers the easier method. You just have to get the right biochip and use it. It will exchange the values of “strength” and “knowledge” and you’ll be able to use your desired energy gun straightaway.
How stupid is that?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Psilon said:
. It's like Lionheart's "+3 to ST, +75% to Sneak" item previews, only even more ludicrous.
Previews? I found something like that in the game. But my favourite was a certain sword that, while wielded, gave me a bonus to Lockpicking.

So the purpose of this innovation is for people to be able to experience the whole of the game the first time they play it. Talk about replayability.

edit: Cool, the game's in Polish! I found a magnificent word "Jaszczur" on one of the screens :D

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Man, VD.. We need to talk about selecting only one paragraph or question/answer for a news post again, don't we? :D

Vault Dweller

Developer
I know, I know, my bad. I have no problems with following the one paragraph rule, but sometimes something so stupid comes along that I just can't resist the temptation. :)

Voss

Erudite
Some of this wouldn't sound quite so bad if they had taken the time to get someone to edit/translate the answers into readable English.

But yes, strength and knowledge being interchangeable traits is a little... off. Unless of course, the biochip converts muscle mass into brain tissue. And then goes through a high-speed learning process. All of which begs the question- how much do you really need to *know* to pull the trigger on a pistol?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom