Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Special attacks

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I am too lazy to read, did anyone mention counterstrike?

Basically a melee "attack" that puts the character in a special mode, possibly with a defense bonus, where he counter attacks any (or the first, or whatever variant imagineable) enemy who attacks (and misses).

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've been thinking about how to balance daggers against more powerful weapons. I've heard alot about stabbing knights through their visors and such.
I guess it'd be hard to hit a small vulnerability with a claymore, or longsword in contrast to a short sword or dagger.
This could be expressed by aimed attacks, available only for small weapons, or special "certain critical" attacks like cutting throat or tendons. Maybe just a bonus to critical hit chance.

Another option would be penalties for large weapons in very close range, sort of like a penalty to using the spear Fallout if the enemy was in an adjacent hex.
There might also be a special combat stance or special attack to force such a penalty on an enemy with a large weapon.

Fryjar

Augur
Well I`ve three more ideas for combat skills:

Final Strike:

requirement:
Enemy needs to be knocked down/ needs to have only 5% of max hp left.

effect: your attack damage is halfed but the chance to hit your opponent is doubled.

furious attack:

effect: your opponent hits you automatically but you deal + x % damage if you hit.

Crippling attack (if aimed shots/hits are implemented):

effect: your chance to affect an negative status ability at a certain region is raised by + x% but your hit chance is reduced by x% (I leave some critical effects to your imagination ;)).

In general I have to say that a system which allowed you to aim at certain regions would definitely increase the tactical depth IF it is implemented properly and certain enemies actually really suffer more when they are hit at regions that arent covered with armour (for instance this would make attacks against the arrms more worthwile when the target only wears an helmet + a tunic etc. but no shoulder pads). Additionally I would be interested to know if you have thought about adding attacks that have an impact on the enemies condition beside of only reducing their hps. So for example if you damaged the opponents arms severly enough he would get handicapped at hitting you.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Fryjar said:
Final Strike:
requirement:
Enemy needs to be knocked down/ needs to have only 5% of max hp left.
effect: your attack damage is halfed but the chance to hit your opponent is doubled.
Why is the damage halved and the chance to hit doubled? What if you already have a high chance to hit? That means that you don't gain a significant bonus, but get a damage penalty instead.

furious attack:
effect: your opponent hits you automatically but you deal + x % damage if you hit.
We already have something like that. Medicine -> Berserk State via eating some mushrooms -> huge defense penalty, reasonable to hit penalty, nice damage bonus.

Crippling attack (if aimed shots/hits are implemented):

effect: your chance to affect an negative status ability at a certain region is raised by + x% but your hit chance is reduced by x% (I leave some critical effects to your imagination ;)).
Again, we already have something like that (Aimed Attack: [Body Part], causing criticals, knockdowns, disarming, AP loss, etc).

Additionally I would be interested to know if you have thought about adding attacks that have an impact on the enemies condition beside of only reducing their hps. So for example if you damaged the opponents arms severly enough he would get handicapped at hitting you.
Yep, see above and this thread. In regard to that arm hitting business, if you manage to perform Aimed Attack: Arms successfully, your opponent will drop his weapon which will cause him to waste APs picking it up or getting another weapon from the inventory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom