Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Speculation: Obsidian skyrim clone in development

Would you like to see Obsidian attempt an Elder Scrolls clone

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
- Obsidian has expressed interest in making a Skyrim clone in the past

- Microsoft gives all their new acquisitions an unlimited budget to make whatever kind of game they want

- Josh Sawyer has been playing Skyrim all week. Research probably.

- Its been confirmed that another secret project is in development alongside Outer Worlds, and presumably its related to Pillars of Eternity based on tweets from several employees working on Deadfire.

- It would be the perfect business move. Hit Bethesda on two fronts and steal their fanbase.

Anyone want to poke holes in my theory, or add fuel to the rumors?

Saerain

Augur
Patron
If they used the PoE setting, I could be pretty damned happy with that.

Though, I wouldn't want it to mean the Infinity Engine-style works would stop.

Conflicted.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Obsidian will have to steal Todd Howard from Bethesda to make a Skyrim clone a true masterpiece. And by the looks of Fallout 76 and the state the game is in. Todd Howard might just be on the market very soon.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Obsidian will have to steal Todd Howard from Bethesda to make a Skyrim clone a true masterpiece. And by the looks of Fallout 76 and the state the game is in. Todd Howard might just be on the market very soon.
Eotas is dead: the Final Pillar.

The Real Fanboy
- Obsidian has expressed interest in making a Skyrim clone in the past

- Microsoft gives all their new acquisitions an unlimited budget to make whatever kind of game they want

- Josh Sawyer has been playing Skyrim all week. Research probably.

- Its been confirmed that another secret project is in development alongside Outer Worlds, and presumably its related to Pillars of Eternity based on tweets from several employees working on Deadfire.

- It would be the perfect business move. Hit Bethesda on two fronts and steal their fanbase.

Anyone want to poke holes in my theory, or add fuel to the rumors?

Don’t forget Cris leaking that they were actually trying to make it!!!!

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think there's some unused potential in the ES formula for more systemic gameplay and world/narrative reactivity and branching. So I wouldn't outright oppose an Obsidian take on it.

I'd just hope it'd not be overused and generic ripoff of ordinary Tolkienic fantasy.

I'm not explicitly waiting or hoping for it, though. If it happens, it happens.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
Chris "Dunning-Kruger" Parker is leading this, so it will almost certainly stand out for being the first Skyrim clone that is worse than the original.

Of course, that won't stop Codex obsessing about it for years.
:thumbsup:

bataille

Arcane
They should clone MCA a couple of times, pump them full of speed and make them work on script iterations 16 hours a day until it's Gravity's Rainbow.

Oh, you mean clone like whe............. NEVERMIND THEN!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom