Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spider-Man (PS4)

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Nexus is such a piece of shit anyway. I don't know why people upload their mods there. The layout is absolutely terrible, it's just ugly to look at, and you're forced to make an account with an email and everything to even download mods. Just look at how gay the moderators are:
In 2020, ahead of the US presidential election, Nexus Mods announced they would “invoke an outright ban on mods relating to sociopolitical issues in the United States,” citing that “a spate of provocative and troll mods being uploaded based around current sociopolitical issues in the United States” featuring low quality mods expressing “polarising views.”

“A small but vocal contingent of our users are seemingly not intelligent or grown up enough to be able to debate the issues without resorting to name calling and baseless accusations without proof (indicative of the wider issues plaguing our world at this time)” resulted in Nexus mods deciding to “wipe our hands clean of this mess.”

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Here is Nexus Mods quote from their blog.

Recently there's been some silly drama on our site that was sparked by someone uploading a mod for Spider-Man Remastered. The mod replaced the very few Pride flags the game actually has with the already prevalent USA flag texture from the game. The mod was removed from Nexus Mods and the author was banned.

To address the banning, which is what a lot of people want to focus on, the mod was uploaded by a sock puppet account (i.e. a newly made account by someone who already has an account on the site) and uploaded under the name "Mike Hawk". It was very clearly done deliberately to be a troll mod. The fact the user needed to make a sock puppet like a coward to upload the mod showed their intent to troll and that they knew it would not be allowed. Had they not been a coward and had they used their main account instead, we would have simply removed the mod and told them that we did not want to host it, only banning them if they reuploaded it again after being fairly warned. The creation of the sock puppet removed any doubt and made it a very easy decision for us. Both the sock puppet account and the user's main account have been banned.

In regards to the replacement of Pride flags in this game, or any game, our policy is thus: we are for inclusivity, we are for diversity. If we think someone is uploading a mod on our site with the intent to deliberately be against inclusivity and/or diversity then we will take action against it. The same goes for people attempting to troll other users with mods deliberately to cause a rise. For our part, we will endeavour to do a better job of moderating our website to this ethos ourselves.

We aren't the authority on what users can and cannot mod. Us removing a mod only means it cannot be found at Nexus Mods, nothing more, nothing less. We also note that we are not the only site that has removed this mod from their platform. As a private business, we have a right to choose what content we do and do not want to host on our platform. Respect this right the same way you want respect for your rights.

If you feel something goes against our policy then please report it. However, we will be the adjudicators on what we do or do not think is appropriate for Nexus Mods. And that goes for everyone no matter where they stand; left, right, up or down.

We don't want to and won't argue this with you. We've now explained our stance and we won't be providing a platform for you to distort our position in order to feed an irrational and paranoid narrative. You can do that elsewhere, where we won't care enough to read it.

If this policy upsets you, if we've broken some moral code of conduct as a business that you can't accept, then please, delete your account (bottom option) and move on, as we will.

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14733

Late Bloomer

Scholar
If we think someone is uploading a mod on our site with the intent to deliberately be against inclusivity and/or diversity then we will take action against it.
Does this mean that those old "White CJ" mods for GTA San Andreas would be banned?

It would seem so. If you havent already now would be a good time to save them just for archive purposes I spose. One of the more hilarious mods that caused a stink a while back is still up though.

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/817/

And back on track with Spiderman it would seem this mod is a-ok

https://www.nexusmods.com/marvelsspidermanremastered/mods/303

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
It would seem so. If you havent already now would be a good time to save them just for archive purposes I spose. One of the more hilarious mods that caused a stink a while back is still up though.

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/817/
The positive comments for this one are the funniest.
Thanks for the mod! I was thinking of changing him and Maru myself but this way is easier :p
Thank you Mr./Ms. Modder!

This is a perfect mod for me. It makes this game way more easy for my eyes.
Thank you for this!!! I can finally fully enjoy the game!!!

racofer

Thread Incliner
rDlgUxD.png

How very inclusive.

Well well well....

https://nitter.bus-hit.me/Necksplitter/status/1559444372667568128?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

P69weIS.png

Openly discriminating against arabic versions of the game. Who's the racist now, niggermods?

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Starting up, somewhat liking the first part of the game. Then I get to the first MJ segment and one of her first lines is:

*I don't get that whole hero hiding behind a mask thing anyway. If it was me I would stand behind my actions and say "Yeah, that's ME"*

:hmmm:

Uhhhhhh, I'm going to hate that bitch.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Uhhhhhh, I'm going to hate that bitch.
She is awful and there's several moments later on that will fill you with rage (bad things happen and it's her fault, she refuses to accept blame).

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Is the game really worth the hard drive space? The people making the game hate people like you playing it. Doesnt that bother you even a little? How good is the game as a whole?

Duraframe300

Arcane
Is the game really worth the hard drive space? The people making the game hate people like you playing it. Doesnt that bother you even a little? How good is the game as a whole?
Don't give a shit. I already stated this in another thread, but that would barely leave any games left to play. And that's been the case for decades.
Edit: On that note I don't think that often applies to the entire development team, usually plenty of people in there having to suck it up.

Now the recent trend of annoying SJW stuff is a dealbreaker to me any day inside a game (Which is why I quit Gears of War 4, 3 minutes in) and I've ranted about that plenty before, but I survived the MJ section and honestly the rest of the game hasn't been too bad (If overrated, but that affects me less now than it would have on release).

That said of course this moment may well still come. I'm not that far into the game. But for now I'm going on.

Last edited:
The writing (and plotting) in the game varies from very-bad to absolute-garbage, but the moment to moment gameplay of the Spidey stuff is pretty fan, especially if you’re a fan of the character.

Stealth sections are terrible, and should so obviously been cut that it’s frankly baffling the made it off the concept table. Their only consolation is that they’re relatively short and there’s only like 5 of them in the whole game from what I remember.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Finished it (the main story and a few of every side content the game has). Random thoughts I picked up.

First the shocker: I didn't think the game's worst aspects are as bad as made out to be. Now maybe its because I went in with very low expectations, but even that MJ line I mentioned before ended up being the worst part of her for me. Perfectly fine to get through (for me).

THAT SAID

Fuck is this game half assed. It has an *ok* Spider-Man story, dragged down by some shit storytelling and lines. The interpretations of the characters are among the most meh imaginable. The most positive thing I can say about it is that Aunt May isn't too bad (Well, she almost never is with the exception of new MCU retardedness, so that's not an accomplishment). Otherwise, Peter MEH, MJ is turned into a budget Lois Lane without the positives or the competence, Miles MEH, Osborne MEH, Otto MEH (with glimpses).... and so on. The most compelling of the Sinister Six were the other 4 and that's only because they got straight up comic lines and characteristics.

The open world also, just bog standard Ubisoft+ stuff to do without any originality thrown in. It's not better than any other Spider Man game and a lot of those had more fun challenges. Ditto the web swinging. My god, the web swinging. Yes, there's clearly been work and thought put into it. But it's brought together in a half-assed way that prevents it from actually becoming fun. Momentum is half-assed, sense of speed is half-assed, flow is half-assed. At no point it's as natural as it was praised to be. And there's no fucking excuse for it: Spider-Man on a modern system should be the absolute king of fun open world traversal. Instead that title still belongs to Prototype from 13 years ago.

Also regarding those Stealth Missions: No, I'm not going to attack them for being shit, they are, they're also piss easy and relatively short. What I am attacking them is for being absolutely useless. There's no point to them, they add nothing to story and charachters. All the while there being several points in the story were more context and a more natural charachter arc progression are missing. But thank fuck we now know how MJ walked through a military camp or how Miles went to get medicine. THE IMPORTANCE.

Anyway. Rambling over.

In short was an ok experience for a game that was gifted to me (not interested in Miles Morles, because Miles was the worst/most boring character alongside MJ). It's just.... I have to go back on what I said earlier:

Duraframe300 said:
(If overrated, but that affects me less now than it would have on release)

Scratch that, because I didn't realize just how overrated this was. EVERYTHING this game does, has been done better in Spider-Man games before. More fun story, more fun characters, more fun traversal, more fun web-slinging more fun combat, more fun abilities, more fun open world (not that that would even be a high bar to clear), more fun side content.

I do think that there are parts of the development team that was actually half-way competent, because a lot of what *could* make a fun Spider-Man game is there. It's just been mauled to death by what I assume are incompetent hires and *modern* sensibilities.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Only now I realize how fucking dumb the superhero genre truly is.
A bunch of uppity fags who are rarely, if ever , truly tested or challenged. Almost anything goes their way, you can't criticize Mr. Superhero McCape , he is always right.
Not to mention that current Marvel writing is abominable, despicable trash meant to appease woke sjw sensibilities.

I bought the Miles Morales game on sale as a birthday present for myself. Roughly a third of the way through. It's okay, and I would say strictly superior to the base game in terms of gameplay.

The main improvements are:

A: There is much less bloat. e.g. There is no more swinging around districts just waiting for random bullshit crimes to occur; you can now opt into the mission voluntarily, and if you do it right you only need to play each "type" of crime once to get all the goobers.

B: There are no stealth sections a la the Miles/MJ stealth corridors from the base game (or at least not yet), but the stealth options during gameplay are overall much improved. Feels closer to the Arkham games here (which is frankly what it always should have been and it's baffling that it took a glorified expansion pack to execute on that). It's still not great, but it's definitely an improvement.

Flaws are:

A: Writers still can't write for shit. There's a lot of emoshunall character arcs that culminate in just dumb mustache twirling villainy. Speaking as someone who both loves Silver Age Spidey comics and also thinks they're dumb as shit... this is worse. Ditko wept.

B: Game is clearly an expansion pack repurposed into being a "sequel" (or "sidequel" or whatever dumb nonsense the suits want to label it). Map is the same, controls are the same, take your two new abilities and your clearly half-assed campaign featuring Z-list villains (seriously- a teenaged Tinkerer is the main villain for at least the first five hours of the game) is and give us 40$ for it you dumb cow!

But, eh, thwip, thwip... power... responsihillbillity... hrnnnnn.

Could be worse I suppose.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom