Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Spire of Sorcery - turn-based RPG where you play a party of runaway mages - abandoned in Early Access

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Isn't it an outright scam? I was under the impression that if you put a game into early access, you're promising that unless you go out of bussiness, you will actually finish it (even if "finishing it" just means slapping a "1.0" on the tin).

There have been cases where devs have launched another Early Access project with the another remaining unfinished, although this is exceptionally rare and highly unpopular.

One of the most famous examples is probably the Starforge/Reign of Kings/Heat devs who apparently did it like three times. And of course, they're all some kind of openworld multiplayer crafting game, because... mouthbreathers.

At that point, it's on the consumer for being a shmuck.

Modron

Arcane
There have been cases where devs have launched another Early Access project with the another remaining unfinished, although this is exceptionally rare and highly unpopular.
Pathea went on to My Time at Portia after leaving an earlier open survival crafter unfinished. Double Fine did it twice than raked in big bucks for Psychonauts 2 fig anyways. I am sure many more examples are out there.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, wow, they do plan to just leave the "early access" tag on it forever.

Untitled - Copy.png

thesecret1

Arcane
Oh, wow, they do plan to just leave the "early access" tag on it forever.

View attachment 45975
That's a lot of retardation in just one post. If you're so ashamed of the game that you don't want people to buy it (yet don't want to pull it down either because ???), then mark it as released and give it away for free. Maybe then someone might actually agree with you about "it having a couple hours of decent gameplay" or whatever you said in that cope post you made.

mondblut

Arcane
That's a lot of retardation in just one post. If you're so ashamed of the game that you don't want people to buy it (yet don't want to pull it down either because ???), then mark it as released and give it away for free. Maybe then someone might actually agree with you about "it having a couple hours of decent gameplay" or whatever you said in that cope post you made.

But think of teh poor suckers who paid money for it before, smth smth.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Here is an easy 6 phase plan to save this project:
1. Rename Spire of Sorcery to Wild Mages Sister of a Dragon (they're already using the same assets)
2. Develop it in EA for 3 years, with hours of videos of new game systems
3. Throw it all away and redesign the game completely. It's now a fighting game with fishing and cockroach racing.
4. Rename Sister of a Dragon to Spire of Sorcery again, for maximum confusion
5. Don't release the game, but (this is very important!) continue selling it in EA
6. No profit
Repeat as many times as necessary.

One thing I will give them credit for is stating that SoS is dead. Not for the bizarre decisions that led them there, but for admitting it. That's better than lying that they're still developing it and giving false hope to the few people who actually liked whatever the hell the current version of SoS was. Now, they will get shit for it, much of it deserved, some of the die-hards who stuck with them this entire time (a small number already) will now hate them, it will be terrible for any future projects, with an unfinished EA game and a dedicated hater base, so probably not a good move PR-wise, but I sort of appreciate that they just bluntly admitted it and are trying to move on. We fucked up, there is no game. We wasted 6 years on this. Here's a new game, maybe. Sorry.

Also, the game didn't need a pre-set protagonist. It didn't need a fleshed-out story line. It didn't need companions. None of what I've read about this next game tells me anything about how it's going to be played. Is it an RPG now? Is it like "Wild Mages", but with pre-set characters? Is it a strategy? What the fuck is "matrix-based spells and personal progression with 8 schools of magic and 8 paths of personal progression"? Who knows. Feels like they're brainstorming and throwing shit at the wall all over again.
The original idea, of an old mage in his tower, on the run from the law, trying to survive in hostile wilderness, working towards a specific goal through his apprentices in the field was good. I imagined it sort of like a single, huge map from Eador, but with more wilderness and ruins, few tiny settlements and non-human races, no AI opponents, no armies but more focus on individual mages and small parties exploring the map for resources and improving the tower, no irreplaceable main cast aside from the old wizard protagonist. With a (very slow) time pressure of the inquisition trying to hunt down the protagonist or him simply dying of old age or sickness. With random events and map encounters in the style of King of Dragon Pass, with different skills or backgrounds of characters unlocking different outcomes. Easier said than done, I know, but that's at least something that sounds like a game, ever since they scrapped that original SoS setup I can't understand what they're going for or who the audience for it is.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
I sort of appreciate that they just bluntly admitted it and are trying to move on. We fucked up, there is no game. We wasted 6 years on this. Here's a new game, maybe. Sorry.
I'm glad they admitted it, too, but I still think it's shitty to keep selling it and to keep it in Early Access. The only reason I even remembered to look at it is that it's on sale for one week for 50% off. Why are they trying to draw attention to this mess with a sale?

Mortmal

Arcane

But think of teh poor suckers who paid money for it before, smth smth.
Twist the knife in the wound a bit more.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's jarring to look back at the thread and see how uncharacteristically positive and hopeful codex was about a game.

Many such cases. Almost makes you think if the forum has cursed tastes.

One of these days, hopefully a game that codex actually likes comes out, isn't surrounded by drama, and gets some acclaim.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
I sort of appreciate that they just bluntly admitted it and are trying to move on. We fucked up, there is no game. We wasted 6 years on this. Here's a new game, maybe. Sorry.
I'm glad they admitted it, too, but I still think it's shitty to keep selling it and to keep it in Early Access. The only reason I even remembered to look at it is that it's on sale for one week for 50% off. Why are they trying to draw attention to this mess with a sale?
I know. But that doesn't even work as a cash grab, how many sales are they going to get from a game stuck in EA for years with bad reviews? One that if you look even a little deeper into you'll see is no longer being developed. A dozen a year maybe? And there are still refunds on Steam. It's just another ???? decision with this entire thing. It's like they left the thing on sale in EA to aggravate random people :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom