Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spore website launched

Sol Invictus

Erudite
http://spore.ea.com/

There's not much to see there, besides the cool animation and some newly released screenshots.

Surlent

Liturgist
So this is the evolution game where you really create everything from basics. Can you also destroy it all back to base level errrr I mean simulate entropy in its fullest potential ? Just asking for curiousity. :)

Seems like EA is the publisher. Is there still hope ?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Sure, why not. The Sims 2 was pretty good, and EA published that. It all depends on who's making the game. I have hopes that Chris Taylor's upcoming Supreme Commander, also published by EA, is going to be a good game, regardless of what EA's own studios seem to do whenever they develop an RTS.

Norfleet

Ah, TS2. A bug-ridden mess full of hair-pulling nuisances. It is a game worthy of a truly complicated love-hate relationship. I do not have terribly rosy expectations of this "Spore" thing. It will likely be a huge mess...again.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What the hell are you talking about? Sims 2 is possibly one of the best, and most addictive games I've ever played.

Norfleet

Sol Invictus said:
What the hell are you talking about? Sims 2 is possibly one of the best, and most addictive games I've ever played.
Oh, I agree completely. That does nothing to change my statement above. Just as an example, though, are you aware that there are several bugs, at least two of which can cause serious and irreversible save file corruption, that currently go unfixed....for months now. It's a great game, but also plagued by a number of very hairy issues and absolutely terrible support, and the sneaky habit of selling the few patches inside the next expansion pack. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about here.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Irrespective of my dislike for everything Sims (err...my missus likes them though, but that's cool cos she's a paragon of good game taste apparently), I think Spore is gonna be great. It will no doubt have some interesting INNOVASHUNs.
I'm willing to take the risk of some bugginess for that.

Norfleet

Shagnak said:
I'm willing to take the risk of some bugginess for that.
And hopefully this time they'll fix their own bugs, instead of making me do it. Yeah...right. Wishful thinking.

space captain

Liturgist
U. S. of Fuckin' A. ...and dont forget it or we'l
20050527l.jpg

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Penny Arcade is completely fucking stupid. I'll take open-ended sandbox style gameplay over linear FPS 'it has a strong storyline' bullshit. They can keep sucking on Halo's balls.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Probably. I want to develop a planet with the human race on it just so I can get them to blow themselves up somehow.

But in all seriousness, it would be fan fucking tastic to recreate Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey series with it. You could put up a bunch of monoliths all over the place and fuck with the prehumans/humans.

Norfleet

I'm going to make mine as cute and cuddly as possible, and then instill in them an unquenchable bloodlust for death and destruction.

Seven

Erudite
dirk said:
http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/

I definitely recommend watching this video; it's just inspiring and unpretentious. I was blown a way by the sheer scope of the game and its complexity.

At Norfleet—apparently it’s possible to make vicious Carebears.

It’s great to see a title that actually seems prepared to deliver the goods (as opposed to other titles that have just been empty hype).

Norfleet

Seven said:
I definitely recommend watching this video; it's just inspiring and unpretentious. I was blown a way by the sheer scope of the game and its complexity.

At Norfleet—apparently it’s possible to make vicious Carebears.

It’s great to see a title that actually seems prepared to deliver the goods (as opposed to other titles that have just been empty hype).
Meh, I don't buy it. It looks like a very clever propaganda effort. Clearly they've learned something from their TS2 propaganda efforts, all of which grossly exaggerated the capabilities of the actual game. So now they're trying to make it look more convincing. This alone is proof of nefarious intent. They're up to something. Probably the new trick is, "And that's all, folks!". So what you see *IS* the entire game, and that's *ALL* there is. Mark my words, it's going to fall short. I am never wrong.

All of those screenshots are obviously fake and completely doctored, anyway: The game doesn't even exist. It is thus impossible for there to be any actual screenshots of it. It's a rigged demo. There is no game. Don't believe me? They've been showing Duke Nukem Forever screenshots for years, yet we all know the game doesn't exist. Fake screenshots are easy to make.

Seven

Erudite
Go watch the video and you will be amazed; its one hour long and it covers everything from your bacterial beginnings to interstellar space travel.

Oh yee of little faith.

Norfleet

I see no evidence of an actual functioning game. It all looks impressively fake, but given that we know the game doesn't actually exist at this point, this is obviously a rigged demo. Note how he "fast-forwards" through pretty much all of it.

I also dislike the spyware implication. What exactly allegedly stealing from your computer?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't know how you're able to say all that, Norfleet. On what facts do you base your accusations of the game's supposed fakeness?

BetterNights

Novice
And wasn't Wright actually PLAYING a Spore demo at the GDC?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom