Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER 2 will require a permanent internet connection.

baronjohn

Cipher
DRM doesn't do shit for us hardcore pirates, but it does stop some of modern games' target audience (retarded preteens with attention spans of earthworms) from casually sharing games in their circle, which is the whole point.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Zarniwoop said:
I can just see the Xbawx 360 "gamers" now, praising on the STALKER 2 forums about there being health regen, very small areas, and getting 17 achievements for completing the tutorial. And lyke OMG no romansez!!

Fix for you.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I am...a blood fan of the stalker series...i bough the Limited edition pack of the first game, i waited overnight to downloaded Clear Sky from an esoteric online game store, and i got Road to Pripyat the moment it went out.

But first time i played it, second and THIRD TIME I PLAYED IT! Was a pirated copy.

I wouldnt mind DRM...really...if the game is good, and i mean...goes against the current pop-amole accesible bullshit of today.

I'd turn in swab and urine samples on a regular basis....

However...you only put DRMs in a game for ONE THING!

TO KEEP PEOPLE FINDING OUT HOW SHIT IT IS BEFORE ITS TO LATE AND ITS ALLREADY BOUGHT!

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
baronjohn said:
DRM doesn't do shit for us hardcore pirates, but it does stop some of modern games' target audience (retarded preteens with attention spans of earthworms) from casually sharing games in their circle, which is the whole point.

Those would be paying customers, wouldn't they? Yes it's technically wrong to share games with your friends, but the publishers have never said that that's the problem. I mean something like a disc check would stop "casual" piracy, right? Like we used to have?

Publishers are just looking for excuses.. They're even complaining now about people selling their games second-hand being "worse than piracy".

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
To all the pirates out there: you caused this.

On the other hand, you buyfags funded this.

I feel really good about not having bought an AAA title since 2007, because it means I had little part in funding the atrocities that developers have been perpetrating on gamers since then.

Of course, I still have a ways to go to redeem myself for funding EA by purchasing Desert Strike back in the 90s.

But at least I'm on the road to recovery, unlike you retards who complain and complain but keep opening your wallets.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
DraQ said:
Matt7895 said:

Listen up, retard:
When you're selling a game your point isn't to minimize piracy, it's to maximize sales. Piracy rate doesn't affect you in any way, only the number of units sold does. If you sell two million of copies, it doesn't matter if your game was pirated by nine times more people, ninety nine times more people or none at all. Sure, convincing some of your would-be pirates to actually buy the game is what you want to do, because if your piracy rate is 90% there is certainly quite some untapped potential customer base, but only because it's going to increase overall sales. If by fighting piracy you reduce your sales it doesn't matter how successful your methods are - you're still fucking loser and a retard, because in the end it's the number of units sold that matters and you've just reduced it with your oh-so-clever anti-piracy measures.

Also, claiming that the number of pirated copies equals the number of lost sales is sheer lunacy, which is obvious to anyone with even the dimmest clue about the very basics of economics. It's not the matter of opinion, it's not the matter of world-view, it's the matter of being dead fucking wrong in an embarrassingly retarded manner OR being a lying liar that lies.
In neither case you're worthy of more respect than a cockroach.

quoted for beautiful draconic emotions

verr nice

PorkaMorka said:
On the other hand, you buyfags
they're just empowering themselves with their wallets, fat ork god

Deleted member 7219

PorkaMorka said:
Matt7895 said:

On the other hand, you buyfags funded this.

I feel really good about not having bought an AAA title since 2007, because it means I had little part in funding the atrocities that developers have been perpetrating on gamers since then.

Of course, I still have a ways to go to redeem myself for funding EA by purchasing Desert Strike back in the 90s.

But at least I'm on the road to recovery, unlike you retards who complain and complain but keep opening your wallets.

I don't complain about DRM. The supposed worst DRM out there is Ubisoft's, yet both AC2 and ACB were good ports from the console versions, having good customisable settings, cloud saving and all the DLC that Ubisoft charged for on console.

You say you haven't bought a 'AAA' (whatever that means, sounds like Kotakuspeak to me) title since 2007, well that is part of the problem, there are companies out there like CDProjekt which release DRM-free stuff for the PC and now even they are having to go to consoles.

Sacculina

Educated
Matt7895 said:
I don't complain about DRM. The supposed worst DRM out there is Ubisoft's, yet both AC2 and ACB were good ports from the console versions, having good customisable settings, cloud saving and all the DLC that Ubisoft charged for on console.
I've already commented on this in the other thread, but I won't have this nonsense stand unchallenged here either. I bought a retail copy of AssCreed2 early this year. I could not get it to work till I found and downloaded a crack. I might have been inclined to buy AssBro if I hadn't been soured by the experience. So there.

lefthandblack

Arcane
SCO said:
I will not require Stalker 2.

Affirmative.

Looks like this game will be added to my ever-expanding list of games that I'll buy from GOG 5-10 years from now. I sure wish that publishers/devs were not making it so hard for me to give them my money.

Prisoner 849

Novice
Matt7895 said:

There is a reason why so many publishers are putting DRM on their games now. It isn't because they're assholes. It is because they lose a lot of sales every time they release a game on PC to piracy.

I can completely understand why they feel the need to do this.

Try harder.

Piracy is rampant on the consoles too and this 'always on' DRM is just a nuisance for the paying customer. Be smart and do not remove this game from the inventory, at least I'll be enjoying my cracked copy when the time comes. :smug:

Gord

Arcane
Prisoner 849 said:
Try harder.

Piracy is rampant on the consoles too and this 'always on' DRM is just a nuisance for the paying customer. Be smart and do not remove this game from the inventory, at least I'll be enjoying my cracked copy when the time comes. :smug:

I would really like to see some numbers about piracy on consoles vs. pc. Because for all I've seen so far on the issue PC piracy is a much bigger problem.

Personally I get the impression that both sides ("hardcore" pirates vs publishers) consist mostly of sociopathic idiots. Pick your poison.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Zarniwoop said:
Oh please please please please take my money for a console game with retarded DRM. I can just see the Xbawx 360 "gamers" now, raging on the STALKER 2 forums about there being no health regen, crates being too far apart, and not getting 17 achievements for completing the tutorial. And lyke OMG no romansez!!

You are right about romances not being there.

Gord said:
I would really like to see some numbers about piracy on consoles vs. pc. Because for all I've seen so far on the issue PC piracy is a much bigger problem.
There can't be any piracy numbers. You can't calculate it like sales.
At the same time PC piracy is not an issue. It never was and never will be. Issue is when you are losing money.
Piracy neither adds, nor detracts sales. If I'm not going to buy some mediocre game in the first place additional retarded DRM will only make that decision stronger.

Piracy is nothing but a universal excuse for a shitty game.

Remember this rule - if a dev complains about piracy his game is going to be an unbelievable piece of shit. Dumbing down Stalker for X360, GSC understands this

You will never see imbecile DRM and dev complaints in relation to good games. Never

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Gord said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I don't pass it as anything. I'm just saying that dislike for personal use piracy (except for the retarded "I won't buy anything that is available for free" fanatics which are basically the ones that publishers keep talking about in practical sense when they talk about stealing.) is stupid. Like in being objectively stupid. Unless one is filthy rich, that is because then there's no practical difference in abilities to buy goods of culture and experience them.
When one has let's say 50PLN per month to spend on let's say music albums, just buying one album instead of buying one album and downloading let's say another two because the magic copyright god makes it somehow wrong is pretty stupid as there are no practical negative consequences of downloading additional music for anyone and there are big positive practical consequences of doing it.

Ok, this wasn't directed against you, more against those who do try to pass off piracy for some great fight for freedom in the 21st century (which is often as stupid as the "I won't buy anything that is available for free" fanatics, only difference being that they feel entitled to get everything for free).

Now, I understand your arguments, but as I'm probably a moral-fag I still have some problems with it.
Yes, you don't create a loss, but still you acquire something without offering anything in return. Somehow that just doesn't feel completely right to me.
It's a purely abstract problem, not a practical one, though. It comes to a point when a concept (that acquiring something requires offering something) stops being a tool for achieving good (people being able to live from their creations and prosper) and avoiding evil (people losing time and effort or some item for you and receiving nothing in return - note that there's often a confusion between a product and work. Game isn't work and work on gaming wasn't for you, it was for producing a sellable product, therefore one can't say that they did a service to you or made that product for you - the existence of product or work done to create that product isn't connected to your person but to existence of a market for that product.) and becomes a value in itself, without any practical application.

One practical application of the concepts that I talk about (the people whose products is acquired for free gaining from it) is that it alters spending patterns of the person using them in favour of those whose products .

Basically, most of music that I listen to now is because of acquiring unauthorised copies in the past and the same applies to future. Before ability to get music for free from the internets, my music choices were very conservative and they involved buying music from "safe" bands like Metallica, Ramstein or Rage Against the Machine.

I started listening to Cradle of Filth only because of a cassette that I have found in a bargain bin (which I have bought, but it shows a general principle - getting something for free or extremely cheap and then buying more) - later I bought 3 other of their cassettes and a CD - I didn't like it at first, but I started to love it after listening through the cassette and reading the lyrics (mp3s allowed me later to avoid their Nymphetamine album).

I started to listen to Dimmu Borgir because I have found a CD-R with it in a journalism club and I got intrigued by it though I have found it rather tiring. Later I asked my friend to record me that album and I listened it with lyrics and loved it. I bought two their cassettes - since back then I had a rather obnoxious habit of listening to music without headphones, my mother became their fan too. We bought 5 their CDs (after listening to unauthorised copies) during a period of about 2 years. We made an error of buying their latest album without pirating it first and it turned out to be their :decline: album that we have listened to maybe 4 times.

I started to listen to Behemoth because I saw their video at friend's house. I didn't really like it - it just sounded like an aggressive noise. As a form of a joke I decided to listen the whole album when reading lyrics and I have found it awesome - I bought that album on CD (it was much less expensive than the western albums) and then I one their cassette and 4 other CDs and a T-shirt. Luckily I listened to a pirated version of their last album and didn't buy it as it declined significantly.

Another band that I started to listen through piracy was Emperor - I heard someone citing it as their influence and I downloaded one their pirated video. I found it kinda silly and weird, but a few time I played it as a joke at my friends house and it kinda grew on me and I downloaded the album that it was from and listened it with lyrics and loved it. I didn't have money for a CD then, though and there was no cassette, so I have bought their another album on cassette. During following years I have bought three their CDs (which I have pirated before) and 3 CDs from side project of their vocalist and 1 album of their vocalist.

In recent times, a few years ago, one day I have found a band called Massemord (and another one called Zyklon-B which turned out to include the vocalist of the Emperor - I have bought their CD a few months ago) after thinking that there should be misanthropic black metal and searching for it on YouTube. I have found their pirated songs there and then downloaded a few of their albums and listened to them with lyrics and I loved them. I bought their CD (only one because the rest went out of print) and two their vinyls (thanks to ability to download mp3s I don't have to care whenever I have a playing device or not - so I started buying vinyls because they are so big and feel much more exclusive) I also discovered that they are a kind of a band that basically does several project and I downloaded and later bought 3 CDs and 1 vinyl (a vinyl-only release - I wouldn't be able to listen to it and buy it without ) from their Furia project, one CD from their FDS project and 1 CD from their CCSSABA project (this one I have bought blindly). I'm looking forward to buying a vinyl from another project of theirs called Morowe. I have recently found out that there's a new exclusive vinyl release from CCSSABA but I can't buy it because no one bothered to rip it and I don't have a vinyl player.

Thus I have demonstrated the good coming from the practical application of the concepts that I was talking about. Of course it applies to multiple disciplines - movies, comic books, games, etc.
Generally, it allows potential customers to learn of new products, to learn to like new kinds of products, become fans of products before buying them, and discover interesting qualities of products that they wouldn't be able to learn of through official channels. It's like a reverse advertising where the customers looks for new products (as it doesn't carry any risk).
It applies less to books and libraries unless the books have exclusive illustrated/decorated editions, though. Which is pretty ironic taking in account that libraries are completely legal and almost no one calls borrowing books "stealing".

Matt7895 said:
You say you haven't bought a 'AAA' (whatever that means, sounds like Kotakuspeak to me) title since 2007, well that is part of the problem, there are companies out there like CDProjekt which release DRM-free stuff for the PC and now even they are having to go to consoles.

So not buying games with DRM is bad, and not buying games without DRM is also bad.

normal_intredasting.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Matt7895 said:

They are not "having to go to consoles". Consoles bring 3 times more sales than just selling on a PC - while at the same time allowing, no - requiring to produce games of a bad quality, which TW2 is a bright example of.

There are no fucking poor devs being fucked up by piracy - there are only devs who like making games (these make PC exclusives and even provide free content) and hate making games (these make subpar console shit and ask $5 for stuff like armour texture) and CDP is the latter.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Gord said:
Personally I get the impression that both sides ("hardcore" pirates vs publishers) consist mostly of sociopathic idiots. Pick your poison.

There is a third option though, stop playing these terrible fucking games entirely.

As a bonus, this is even more harmful to these sociopathic publishers than pirating their games.

66lwkg.jpg

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
To be fair, this probably isn't GSC's decision. Their previous games got loaded with shit DRM (Tages) by their publishers (Deep Silver). GSC has very little control over that sort of thing and I don't think that has changed for STALKER 2. Obviously they aren't opposed to DRM of course, but I highly doubt they are in a position to call the shots with it either.

MetalCraze

Arcane
sea said:
To be fair, this probably isn't GSC's decision. Their previous games got loaded with shit DRM (Tages) by their publishers (Deep Silver). GSC has very little control over that sort of thing and I don't think that has changed for STALKER 2. Obviously they aren't opposed to DRM of course, but I highly doubt they are in a position to call the shots with it either.

GSC is a publisher as well so you can quit with the tiresome "poor devs make no decisions because they are all slaves" bullshit.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/aid,76751 ... piel/News/
"After the official sales of the series exceeded 4 million copies worldwide, we had no doubts left to start creating a new big game in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe. This will be the next chapter of the mega-popular game players expect from us"
Piracy killed PC gaming, mkay.

Protection from piracy? Part of the content will be located on the server and downloaded as the game progresses. Permanent internet access is required. Text information, code and quests will be loaded through that connection. Software piracy is an issue for us, we try to fight it, but within reason.
Our new crippleware will require you to be connected to the internet at all times, and can only work with huge amounts of data from our server, but apart from these little issues, there is nothing to worry about. We fight DRM, but within reason.

Achilles

Arcane
I bought Stalker at retail and again on digital sale. I also bought Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat. I really feel like a dumbfuck for supporting GSC now :(

Burning Bridges

A company sells 4 million copies and then fucks their customers because they have a huge problem with excessive piracy.

This is a fine example that the actual goal is maximum control through permanent online connections. Piracy is only a welcome excuse for everything and all.

I think there is a consensus among software companies now, that it's more profitable to sell games only to brainwashed fools that don't mind being milked 24h, and make as much money from them as possible.

They want to get rid of all mature customers and make do with sheeple from now on. A bit like a department store made it their policy that 'we only sell to extravagant spouses, other people will not be admitted'.

Clever isn't it.

Satan

Educated
Wow, you all are a bunch of whiners when you can't just pirate a good game within the first days after release date. I'm sure at least 90% of you wouldn't have bought the game even if it was completely DRM free and the game was awesome.

Burning Bridges

I never buy something in the first days after release date. That's wisdom that comes with age, I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom