Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
i'm 5 days late but it's 35 years since the First Bang - thar she blows!

today: happy labor day tovarishes

now, just to fix a few .ltx files...

:martini:

Puukko

Arcane
Ah, radiant quests. I'm sorry but I can't quite suspend my disbelief that a bunch of master sergeants/senior lieutenants would defect to hang out with some shitty bandits in the Garbage woods.

Puukko

Arcane
I swear, there must be a Monolith cloning facility somewhere with how quickly they repopulate areas mere hours after I've wiped them clean. I just disabled the brain scorcher after aborting my first two attempts due to running out of ammo way too early - the first time around I entered Pripyat for the first time ever just as a blowout was starting and Monolith were on my ass while frantically looking for shelter only to find the vast majority of houses were inaccessible. That little detour took me through Zaton which was very worthwhile but the 300 AK rounds I picked up would still prove insufficient because holy fuck do these Monolith never stop coming. I ended up going back to base and shopping around to make the most elaborate preparations yet which proved sufficient save for two major shortcomings: not heading out with a heavy sewing kit as my armor ended up deteoriating all the way to 40% which made it nigh useless towards the end and costly to repair as I don't have access to the tools to do it myself, and trying to be cheeky and going back in without rest since I figured I wouldn't have to clear as many enemies. Turns out I did, and due to this my character ended up collapsing twice from exhaustion, first just before Lab X19 and the second time in Radar in the woods while parched to the point of barely being able to move. 450 AK rounds, 80 slugs, 6 medkits, 20 stimpaks, 15 bandages and a ton of caffeine pills proved to be just barely enough and I made it back to base where I let my character collapse for a deserved 12 hours of rest. This was the most involved single player experience for me in a long while. I must have killed well over 100 Monolith and got high enough rank to be able to buy a better PDA and much better nightvision. Some actual character progression!

I haven't cleared X18 yet this playthrough, but X19 may very well stick in my mind as being just as if not more memorable. Panic running through a monochrome lab populated by bloodsuckers and while on a timer would be an experience on its own, but it was sandwiched between hours of relentless waves of Monolith. Not to mention the suicide bombers...

I managed to clip what I thought was a pretty neat firefight.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
those mods are awful, i hate everything about it. Provak was always a moron but this takes the cake, its just so... anti-stalker. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Puukko

Arcane
That's fair, different strokes. I am very happy with the level of immersion brought be the HUDlessness, graphics and weathers while it also has a good balance of systems autism without going into body health systems, magazines or stupidly strict bodily needs. I went and looked at almost vanilla Anomaly gameplay save for some sound changes and was a bit shocked at how different it looked.

To me the point the mod that goes over the line is the bullet time one. Maybe if it was introduced as some sort of experimental drug - it'd be far from the most fantastical element in the game - but as a "look at me, I'm cool like Neo" button it just doesn't fit. It also goes against the Zone's constant reminding of the importance of awareness.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So I finally tried Anomaly.
Not sure I like it, there's a lot of features that feel superfluous and tedious.

I don't like the 3D PDA, I think its a terrible feature that's clunky to use. I can't find an option nor a mod to disable it and bring back the original style of PDA, which is crap.
I don't like how expensive everything is, a PPSH is more than 15k and that's obscene. Even if I lower the price in the options its 11k.
I don't like the inventory animations, but you can disable them so its fine.
I don't really like the HUD as it leaves out ammo inventory.
I don't like how you need a knife to loot creatures, that was a pointless feature in misery and its pointless here.
Ammo feels really scarce, but I have it on survivalist so that's probably my fault.

I do like how good the game looks and how stable it is. The coil whine on menu that was present in the original stalker games is not present in Anomaly.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
anomaly is nice but i dont like how it detracts people from playing the originals. lots of people want to play anomaly because they want something like eft

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
anomaly is nice but i dont like how it detracts people from playing the originals. lots of people want to play anomaly because they want something like eft
Yeah, what's sad is that anomaly doesn't really feel like stalker. It feels like some kid's idea of what stalker is and adds a bunch of crap to make it "hardcore"
Why can't modders just improve what's lacking instead of adding a bunch of dumb bullshit?

vibehunter

Learned

The game is fun but yes it attracted a bunch of zoomers and fake STALKER fans who just think "hurr durr Russian EFT". Or even worse, "Russian Fallout". :prosper:

Yeah, what's sad is that anomaly doesn't really feel like stalker. It feels like some kid's idea of what stalker is and adds a bunch of crap to make it "hardcore"
Why can't modders just improve what's lacking instead of adding a bunch of dumb bullshit?

It will never hold a candle to the originals. And the in-game economy is garbage and unbalanced unless you play on the easiest difficulty.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The game is fun but yes it attracted a bunch of zoomers and fake STALKER fans who just think "hurr durr Russian EFT". Or even worse, "Russian Fallout". :prosper:

That's more to do with Life of Boris than Anomaly. The guy has a massive zoomer viewerbase and he's always memeing about STALKER.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
To think about, there's one touch of pure genius in Stalker that, sadly, gets wasted. Every faction has their own voiceovers, so you can easily identify your foes by the voice alone. But this goes to waste because:

- you have scanner in your PDA, duh
- enemies behave similarly regardless

If only there was a mod that makes NPCs from different faction employ different tactics in combat...

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Is there a mod that does what Anomaly does, except without all of the dumb bullshit?
Like, engine and AI life improvements, stability, weapons and add ons, but without a retarded economy, hunting and loot system?

No - and that's the problem.

Some folks are still keeping CoC going with fan updated versions of 1.5r7, but in my experience these weren't stable.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there a mod that does what Anomaly does, except without all of the dumb bullshit?
Like, engine and AI life improvements, stability, weapons and add ons, but without a retarded economy, hunting and loot system?

The Anomaly engine improvements are all open sourced (the ones they've done beyond Open Xray).

There just doesn't seem to be much interest in making alternative mods, especially now CoC seems to be dead.

STALKER 2 may revive things either way, if the game is good and moddable people will make new mods on the new engine, and if the game is bad interest may be revived in Open XRay.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sfhVgIZLBRHz5tafld-oscXMjCDtDlxXYbJ1TsbPJ0I/edit

english translation (drop in folder after install, then you will have to launch the game and look for "rus" in the options and change it to english and restart): https://www.mediafire.com/file/ujebwd74zjgtyse/Dollchan_8_CK_English_trans_1.2.7z/file

Dont ask me about the mod i scarcely know it more than you will. What i do know: russian CoC based project, totally new story, scripted events, heavily edited maps and so on.

Being advised to use one of the 64 bit engines that come with it, as the 32 bit engine it uses by default is a crash fest.

Last edited:

Curratum

CoC based project
Just kill me now. CoC & Misery are the worst plagues to ever befall the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. modding community. What a hopeless and dark future this is.

I completely agree on Misery, with all its fake difficulty bullshit and the tons of useless junk items and pointless repair / craft mechanics, but CoC is the best thing to happen to Stalker ever.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sfhVgIZLBRHz5tafld-oscXMjCDtDlxXYbJ1TsbPJ0I/edit

english translation (drop in folder after install, then you will have to launch the game and look for "rus" in the options and change it to english and restart): https://discord.com/channels/550866347995824138/677854582554230795/841670582583558224

Dont ask me about the mod i scarcely know it more than you will. What i do know: russian CoC based project, totally new story, scripted events, heavily edited maps and so on.

Being advised to use one of the 64 bit engines that come with it, as the 32 bit engine it uses by default is a crash fest.

Do you have a direct link to the english translation? That discord link doesn't go anywhere for me.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

english translation (drop in folder after install, then you will have to launch the game and look for "rus" in the options and change it to english and restart): https://discord.com/channels/550866347995824138/677854582554230795/841670582583558224

Do you have a direct link to the english translation? That discord link doesn't go anywhere for me.

here u go m8

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ujebwd74zjgtyse/Dollchan_8_CK_English_trans_1.2.7z/file

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Looks like more hardcore version of the CoCh, with some equipement robbery and stuff, redesigned locations (not sure i there are any new ones) and more quests lines and new characters, not just contracts and fedex jobs.
Also - anime dolls, hence Dollchan
Wonder how's the quality of the translation... edit: it's good.

Last edited:

Taim

Educated
Played for about an hour.

Translation:
Overall seems good but you'll quickly find out that it's unfinished. The PDA encyclopedia is almost completely undone (which is surprising because I would image that would be mostly free of slang - and thus a prime candidate for machine translation - but I digress). A few of the generic NPC responses are also not translated. From what is translated it seems pretty good - by stalker standards.

Environments:
I never played Call of Chernobyl before but I am impressed with how different the cordon is from stock SoC/CS - although the environment seems fairly empty so far. Exploration is only interesting if you are rewarded for it in some fashion - maybe this gets better further in.

Economy:
Can't say much about it - seems fucked though - and that's coming from a masochist who really liked BoredGunner's OGSR economy.

Story:
Can't say much yet - surprisingly not terrible for a mod named "Dollchan." But I have to imagine there is dumb anime shit somewhere in there.

Unfortunately I probably won't continue - unless I hear it gets better later on - because the gunplay is atrocious at first glance. This is not ARMA - why the fuck is everything super-lethal? Seems like I can get by with a pistol for the entire game with how powerful it is. It basically eliminates any progression felt from guns in terms of damage. First area I killed all bandits with one shot regardless of where I hit them.
I'm probably the only one who found the gunplay in SoC/CoP vanilla mostly perfect - which is a shame - because every attempt to fix it makes it so much worse. (Again - OGSR w/ BoredGunners autistic tweaks is the exception here) Anyway - I'll spare the unrelated ranting.

Still waiting on that NLC7 translation.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Still waiting on that NLC7 translation.

442.jpg

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Played for about an hour.

Economy:
Can't say much about it - seems fucked though - and that's coming from a masochist who really liked BoredGunner's OGSR economy.

Yeah a lot of these "hardcore" mods have really obscene economies where even basic supplies can be something absurd.
That's the problem I had with anomaly, but thankfully you can tweak it to be less ridiculous. Setting sell prices to 2, for example, makes selling artifacts incredibly profitable and basically solves your money problems. After you solve your money problems you can actually enjoy the mod.
Well, enjoy it as much as you can in a mod with instant-killing burnt fuzzes.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom