Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware Star Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Discussion in 'MMO(RP)G / Online Discussion' started by Morgoth, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    If it was so easy they would just like you said implement it in no time. Delay suggest they will be probably going for custom culling instead of something like UMBRA (ready made solution).

Imho they need to do it because they use a lot physics. Meaning that for example where bullet flies is dictated by position of barrel. Can't shoot in any direction if there isn't barrel. Normally in games gun is just a prop that is aligned with gun barrel.

From what i understand current FPS issues are not due to graphics (and lack of culling by that) but netcode. Simply put game lags because netcode is crap and was supposed to be overhauled but it was delayed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Deathsquid Learned

Deathsquid
    They do it because the studio head has no idea about modern game development and early on declared that they won't "cheat" and "cut corners" and everything will exist the way it "should". After which, from what I've heard, they all went ahead and proceeded to re-scale the default CryEngine map so they could have the entire universe on 8x8km area. Meanwhile each model has huge poly counts. Meanwhile each model is like 1/10th or 1/100th or whatever of a normal CE model of the same type. Of course now they also have to rework the engine to fudge all the distance calculations, because default solutions are meant to be used in a completely different set of conditions. And of course this then creates all sorts of hilarity with value rounding, which is why you get all the videos with hilarious jitter, clipping and sudden model deformation. It just rounded up the wrong way.

It's a compounded issue from what I understand. The culling isn't there, the netcode is shit, AND because culling isn't gone, the client receives and sends WAY too much data, making the already shit netcode choke under all the weight.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    That is irrelevant.
    Or, let me rephrase, it should be irrelevant.
    Physics are separate from rendering in every engine (since physics models can be a lot less detailed than their graphical representation). In a good engine, you can just disable an object's graphical representation (for example, for culling) and still have the physics representation around for all calculations that need it.
    Not being able to do that would mean that they do not have a modular approach to this, i.e. every object HAS to have both a physical and a graphical representation - and that just doesn't make sense.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Their "network bind culling" has nothing to do with graphics. They get viewport culling for free from cryengine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Deathsquid Learned

Deathsquid
    Not directly. It affects the quality of netcode, and that affects the performance. How? I don't fucking know, if I knew, I'd be working for CIG :M

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. potatojohn Arcane

potatojohn
    So what's going on with this game?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    There is no game. That's the joke.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    10 microissues remaining.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    I know this isn't in the traditional spirit of fraud laws, but do you think it's about time we added a penalty for "criminally stupid" victims of fraud? ?

• No No x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Deathsquid Learned

Deathsquid
    Only if the penalty can be bought with real money before it even exists yet. Then never deliver it but sell them more punishments.

^ Top  
  11. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    It is not fabulously optimistic when one microissue takes a year to be fixed.

^ Top  
  12. Modron Arcane

Modron
    I still believe in Cleve, wait what thread am I in?

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Father Foreskin Learned

Father Foreskin
    If you really need to know what kind of a person puts massive amounts of money to this game or Shroud of the Avatar, lets take a look at Matt shall we.

Matt was born to middle class family in a well-off western country. His parents both had college degrees and they lived in a comfortable suburban home. Matts parents were oftentimes absent due work, so they tried to compensate this by getting Matt all the toys he wanted. Matt loved videogames, and his friends with thick eyeglasses would huddle around the nintendo controllers all weekends.

In school Matt was successful. By success i mean grades, not being popular or being respected by his peers. Girls called Matt "Krang" behind his back. Krang was a character in a popular show back then. In college Matt finally got to live his wilder years, he even almost visited a prostitute. 3 hours before the appointment he decided to spend the money on Pokemon cards.

One day Matt was at work, in his small office. He was reading mail in the morning when an advertisement caught his eye. "STAR CITIZEN SUPER ADMIRAL PACK NOW ONLY 5999 DOLLARS!". What a waste of money, Matt thought. But those technical details of the ships, they really enticed the engineer in him. And he now had some money and nowhere to spend it. Matt started daydreaming, commanding his Idris in his tiny office. He could finally be somebody of note, a star admiral. There might even be some ladyfolk playing. "A WOMAN ON MY IDRIS, hmmpf ill allow it for now". Matt fell deeper into to the promise and that night he paid 5999 for a videogame that would never come.

• Funny x 5
    • Creative x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Grotesque ±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Patron

Grotesque
    Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Hahahaahaha love how they copy pasted the same three a hundred times and call it a day.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Deathsquid Learned

Deathsquid
    These trees were Procedurally Generated. It takes Star Citizen devs a day to create an entire solar system and populate it with unique content on top of that. Finally, they put all kinds of NPCs whose AI can pass the Turing test and let subsumption do the rest.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Makabb Arcane Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb
    We wuz star citizens n sheeeeeeeeeeit

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  19. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    This looks like some early proof of concept from Empyrion :lol:

^ Top  
  20. Deathsquid Learned

Deathsquid
    They even simulate soil erosion over time.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    But do they simulate the tectonic plates movement and effects of it? How about all the natural disasters? Would the local wiled life have the AI coding to recognize the upcoming disasters and run/hide? Also would there be realistic worms in the soil?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Thal Augur

Thal
    I first read this as "no woman to spend it on".

Seriously though. An enterprising psychologist or a sociologist could build a magnificent career on the foundation provided by this game. Something is really, really, wrong with our societies and it should be looked into before it's too late.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Azazel Arbiter

Azazel
    We live in the end of days bread and circus era of a declining global empire. As millions starve or kill each other o'er petty scraps elsewhere, we bicker over the minute details of imaginary internet spaceships, for which we've paid thousands of dollars.

It's like the final days of Rome, except the hedonists are jerkin' it with cheeto dust instead of enjoying orgies surrounded by delicacies.

• Despair x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Deathsquid Learned

Deathsquid
    Star Citizen will crash when sexbots go mainstream.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. AN4RCHID Arcane

AN4RCHID
    Patch 3.2 is out now. I played for few hours tonight and this is by far the best state the game has been in since before 3.0. Framerate is still shitty, but it was stable in the 20 - 30 range instead of constantly hitching. I did some mining, missions, and cargo running and didn't have a single client or server crash. The quantum travel updates save a ton of time visiting points of interest.

:greatjob: With this one coming out on time and being pretty solid, I feel optimistic that they might hit their target for the big 3.3 patch in September.

• not sure if serious x 5
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.