Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

ADL

Prophet
SCLeaks screenshots of the medical system remind me of ACE mod for ARMA.
unknown-8.png

unknown-9.png

ADL

Prophet
Everything they've shown today looks incredible. This whole showcase of the different approaches for the planetary missions on Pyro looks just as good and high production as a really good quest in a game like Deus Ex Mankind Divided. I'm very happy that their quest design is leaning into immersive sim territory.

This whole thirty minute segment was fucking awesome.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
mentioned video:

"Pyro will be released with 4.0 when server meshing comes online"

Perkel

Arcane
I think they badly named citizencon. It should be citizensiggraph or citizengdc because this talk is super highly detailed on subject average joe doesn't have any idea what they are talking about.

ADL

Prophet
Agreed it was funny watching the view count drop during the Gen12 rendering presentation. That being said I have been really impressed with what they've shown so far and if even a fraction of this is on the immediate horizon, I can see myself no-lifeing this by 2023.

ADL

Prophet
3.15 dropped on PTU. My performance improved with partial implementation of the Gen12 renderer and I really like the medical and inventory management systems.

Perkel

Arcane
How did FPS improve ? By from what to what ?

From video i see they completely fixed inventory lag. That is huge news as it was one of the most annoying things about SC. Now hand mining can become legit starter path rather than epithome of stabbing yourself in eyes waiting ages for stowing to work.

ADL

Prophet
Averaging about 51fps in ArcCorp on my 6900XT up from 44fps in 3.14.1 and now I'm getting a stable 110+FPS out in space at 3440x1440 resolution. The only thing that changed between then and now is a new motherboard as a variable, everything is clocked the same. Keep in mind this is only a small portion of Gen12's implementation but it's already yielding positive results on my system. I should be well over 60 after all the changes come into effect.

I need to get over to check out Orison and see how it affects my frame rate with the volumetric cloud system there.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
The server meshing panel was pretty slick. A lot of old information but they go super in-depth and explain how it'll look from the player's perspective. Haven't seen it explained this clearly before and it gives me more confidence that they actually have a solid plan.

Perkel

Arcane
Averaging about 51fps in ArcCorp on my 6900XT up from 44fps in 3.14.1

Ok seems like an upgrade. They also stated that after Vulcan and Gen12 which mainly resolves CPU bottleneck they will move toward gpu optimization and implement a lot of config options. Right now SC doesn't have any options aside from cloud ones and game is rendered at max regardless of gpu.

ADL

Prophet
Thought this was a neat chart showing the status of server meshing. Hopefully we have it in place with 4.0 this time next year coinciding with a full Gen12 renderer implementation.
8dxuj9k9q2t71.png

Perkel

Arcane
This is huge. In 3.15 they are implementing recovery for 30k crashes. Client crashes will still lead to losing cargo etc. but those are very rare unlike 30ks. Looks like their Entity Graph (iCache) is starting to work.

For those who don't play SC. SC alpha is mired with 30k crashes which happens regularly depending on patch. It used to be every 1-2 hours now it is more like 5-8 hours. Ofcourse if you were doing something at the time you lose everything you worked for like cargo, mined resources etc. Client crashes on other hand are very rare even in earlier patches i rarely got ones while in 3.13 i don't even remember one.

Server Crash Recovery
(We heard you liked trading fixes)

Having lost a hull full of cargo ourselves due to a pesky error 30k, we know all too well how frustrating encountering a server crash can be. For that reason, we're very happy to announce the addition of Server Crash Recovery!

So, how does it work? We're adding functionality that creates a "heartbeat" (regular logging with persistence) for you and your ship. So, in the case of a server crash, the backend will recognize that an unexpected timeout has happened, allowing you to visit any ASOP terminal and spawn your ship, intact and exactly as it was pre-crash. This means your cargo, ship status (health/fuel), and any items you had lying around your ship will return in the exact state that it was.

Now, it's important to note this is merely a simple interim fix. Long term, this will all be handled by the entity graph and server meshing work, where we'll track shard history which will allow us to properly retain information and restore you directly to the moment you left off (mid-quantum flight, etc.). Nonetheless, while this is a temporary solution, it should be effective and reliable.

It's also important to note that this new addition is specifically for server crashes. Client crashes would still be handled in the same way they are now, with current crash recovery functionality.

This is currently in review and will hit the PTU very soon!
----

We hope this post will make it easier for you to get started in Star Citizen Alpha 3.15!

Our teams are still improving both the UI and working on fixing a bevy of bugs (we greatly appreciate your feedback so far). Therefore, it is possible that there are still some minor changes to be made and not everything might look 100% like in the pictures above when the alpha 3.15 goes live.

Keep an eye on Spectrum, as we'll have more Patch Watch posts coming soon!

Myobi

Liturgist
Hopefully we have it in place with 4.0 this time next year

:smug: lol.

In other news:

Former UK Star Citizen player outlines the steps he took to get a refund from CIG

If you’re dissatisfied with how Star Citizen is being managed to the point that you want a refund and you happen to live in the UK, then this Reddit post could be useful to you, as it outlines the 30 day-long process one former fan followed to get all of his money back from CIG from 2014 to 2017.

As one might expect from a 30-day process, it involves jumping through a series of legal hoops like sending a letter of intent, filing in small claims court, and elevating the matter to a County Court Judgment if CIG doesn’t respond to the initial small claims court case. The primary way to make this work is to ask for a refund due to CIG’s inability to deliver “something significant […] according to their publicly stated release dates, [a product] delivered to a poor quality, or both,” such as a working Persistent Universe or a release of Squadron 42, which is covered in the UK’s Consumer Rights Act 2015, Chapter 3 Digital Content, Section 34-40.

As proof of this process working, the Redditor included a picture of a judgment in default, awarding him an undisclosed sum of money. Whether this works every time or not is hard to say, of course, but there does appear to be a process to make this all happen.

@ https://massivelyop.com/2021/10/13/...s-the-steps-he-took-to-get-a-refund-from-cig/

ADL

Prophet
Usually I'm all for consumer protections being expanded but this is a definite overreach regardless of how you feel about Star Citizen. The ability to refund after seven years for the reasons given is retarded. This effectively kills early access and crowdfunding in the UK which has been responsible for a lot of really cool projects.

They have delivered the persistent universe which has been getting major updates every three months for years. The scope expanded from the Kickstarter pitch due to raising hundreds of millions of dollars versus the $2 million they originally requested. Backers voted with their wallets and kept funding until it reached the behemoth status it is today. Stretch goals stopped at the $65 million mark which was after this dude bought his shit. Anyone not happy with the trajectory of the product had until mid-2017 until they started cracking down on refunds, a year and a half after the persistent universe module released to all backers.

Those purchases were made long after the scope had been altered so I have zero sympathy. Unfortunately these sc_refund douchebags won't have the balls to continue posting off their accounts when they inevitably buy in again else I would have some entertainment to look forward to. I just hope he loses a bunch of money and wasted a whole lot of time in the process :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom