Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake from Aspyr officially announced

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
KOTOR 1 was a bad game, they'd have to do a complete rewrite of the story, most companions & rework the entire combat system. Best case scenario they can make an average game out of it.

I tried replaying it 5 years ago and didn't make it through. It's incredibly generic and boring. The acting is also terrible. I don't think anyone will complain if they don't use any of the original voice acting.

jungl

Augur
There really isn't much to the Star Wars IP of interest outside of the Jedi.
Lucas arts could of made something up like evil Wookies warlords carving out there domain on their home planet and in the galaxy or elite star squadron that work as vigilantes against the powerful. But noooo that would require effort.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Along with the idea that Star Wars, which is probably the biggest film franchise in history, is "geek culture."

The normies watch the movies and move on. it's the geeks who have been drawn to the expanded universe stuff all this time. Normies certainly weren't buying Star Wars books, comics, many of the games.

Zibniyat

Arcane
They can do with KOTOR I whatever they want, I don't care. It is a mediocre game. I played KOTOR II several times over the last 15 years (and never with that "restored" content patch, it butchers the game), and only recently have played KOTOR I. The blandness, the fake choices, the sterile clean environments, it's all forgettable. Like a fast food meal, sure it's well prepared and will sate your hunger for a while, but you'll never crave for more of it, and if available you'll always want a real meal.

So for once the remaster could actually turn out to be superior, not that it is a high bar to cross...

And people mentioning current Aspyr's staff being woke. Lel did you pay attention to Bioware? It was thoroughly progressive, egalitarian and "social-justice" active right from the start, KOTOR I is actually a perfect example of it, but long before that it was the same (Baldur's Gate). So give Aspyr a chance.

(although I think JKII and JA don’t hold up particularly well today

Untrue. They are great games that offer an untold amount of fun.

They’re fine. Definitely better than every other SW game of the last twenty years. The level design is a massive decline from JK1/MotS though, with JA in particular suffering from tiny, linear levels (console memory limitations) and a slog of an endgame.
But yeah, as far as superhero Jedi simulators go, they’re not bad on the action front.

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Written by Sam Maggs, the woman who complained on TV about the patriarchy and being raped in GTA Online.

Judging by how the Codex reacted to Cuckmaker: Wrath of the Trannies (The most soy oozing, estrogen laden game I ever tried in my life) this will be Codex GOTY and there will be 200 pages on it. This will find a perfect audience here.

Larianshill

Arbiter
M11l0dQ.jpeg

I mean, if you consider that risque clothing...

Last edited:
Revan wears female Mandalorian armor so should have been canonically female to start with. As it is now, he's a canon crossdresser. :M

No, he doesn't. His helmet alone was claimed from a dead female Mandalorian but helmets are not gendered typically. Besides, that was only added in the KotOR comic that came out four years after the game. The comic series is good but that part of it should be retconned. It's clear that Revan's armor and mask were intended to be Sith in origin. Moreover, wearing Mandalorian Armor while fighting a war against the Mandalorians was an incredibly dumb idea to think of. Woe betide him who wanders back into camp after taking a piss in the middle of the night only to be made into Swiss cheese by a Republic sentry.

Anyway, prepare yourselves for the butchery of the second best Star Wars game ever made. KotOR was never a perfect RPG and there are absolutely things that can be done to improve it, especially the dialogue, but you're not going to find them in this remake.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
No, he doesn't. His helmet alone was claimed from a dead female Mandalorian but helmets are not gendered typically. Besides, that was only added in the KotOR comic that came out four years after the game. The comic series is good but that part of it should be retconned. It's clear that Revan's armor and mask were intended to be Sith in origin. Moreover, wearing Mandalorian Armor while fighting a war against the Mandalorians was an incredibly dumb idea to think of. Woe betide him who wanders back into camp after taking a piss in the middle of the night only to be made into Swiss cheese by a Republic sentry.

They published that comic to explain why Revan was wearing what Star Wars fans recognized as female Mandalorian armor. Male helmets are bulkier.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Citation needed. Looked nothing like Mandalorian armor in game with the Neo-Crusaders nor the Crusaders from TOTJ.

Finding 2002-04 era discussion is rather difficult, but it's based off the battle armor, not the assault.

Finding 2002-04 era discussion is rather difficult, but it's based off the battle armor, not the assault.

I understand, but the battle armor had no helmet if you're referring to the in-game model. I acknowledge that it's a plausible explanation that the helmet was Mandalorian, but I doubt it went beyond the author's whim in 06/07. I was also around forums in the mid-oughts and I had never seen anyone assuming it looked specifically female before the comic hit shelves, and as far as I recall Revan had already been canonized as male even before then. I assumed it was a Sith Mask before, but perhaps I wasn't seeing the conversations you were.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I understand, but the battle armor had no helmet if you're referring to the in-game model. I acknowledge that it's a plausible explanation that the helmet was Mandalorian, but I doubt it went beyond the author's whim in 06/07. I was also around forums in the mid-oughts and I had never seen anyone assuming it looked specifically female before the comic hit shelves, and as far as I recall Revan had already been canonized as male even before then. I assumed it was a Sith Mask before, but perhaps I wasn't seeing the conversations you were.

We know what sith look like (Vader, Sidious, Maul, Tyranus, everyone at Korriban) and none wear a mask remotely resembling Revan's. Meanwhile in kotor 2

maxresdefault.jpg

A male helmet of course.

Meanwhile in KotOR 1...

There's also Tulak Hord's mask with a completely different design, meaning they didn't conform to particular patterns. Mandalorian helmets always had some variation of a T-shaped occula. Revan's mask does not.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom