Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Outlaws

hayst

Educated
Wouldn't the people responsible for this new stuff just be dumping their trash in the EU if Disney had preserved it? I doubt that the low quality of newer material is entirely the fault of Disney supervision.
Yeah they would. The problem is the foundation of what is cannon is much worse than how the EU started. For example, the new Thrawn novels are written by the original author but the recontextualization of Disney's Star Wars absolutely bastardizes the potential.

I kinda find it hard to believe that the EU had any more life in it that was lost with Disney's shifting of the canon.
You can't cut three decades of back story and not have an effect. It might open opportunities to rewrite things a different way, but your losing out on dozens and dozens of books to draw detail from.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Lets see marketing points:
1 - Cute side kick ... check.
2 - Replay best moments of frachise ... check.
3 - Sex swap protagonist with Lady Han Sola to make game journos talking of your game ... check.
4 - Scripted nonsense with touched up graphix ... check.

Oh, I love the pure cynism on the franchise farming in this one.

kris

Arcane
Somehow it seems like Stormtroopers aim got even worse. Protagonist dont even bother avoiding shots and gleefully run straight at guys shooting her like she have a lightsaber. There is like zero tension to any scene.

Graphics looks nice though.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Somehow it seems like Stormtroopers aim got even worse. Protagonist dont even bother avoiding shots and gleefully run straight at guys shooting her like she have a lightsaber. There is like zero tension to any scene.
Soy Wars acts like bad aim is a canonical aspect of the stormtroopers, even though they are directly described as being deadly marksmen with precise aim in the very first movie.

Lets see marketing points:
1 - Cute side kick ... check.
2 - Replay best moments of frachise ... check.
3 - Sex swap protagonist with Lady Han Sola to make game journos talking of your game ... check.
4 - Scripted nonsense with touched up graphix ... check.

Oh, I love the pure cynism on the franchise farming in this one.

There’s nothing being shown in that gameplay trailer that isn’t possible to do now. It’s not even visually outside of the realm of what games were doing on last gen systems.

The Watch Dogs trailer was like a decade ago.

J1M

Arcane
The gameplay trailer during the Ubisoft show actual looks good. Best looking Star Wars game since the 2000s.

Looks like you have a faction reputation system like GTA2 and the Mercenaries.

I wish they said more about it, because as is it’s hard to tell the size of it. How big the planet size zones are, or if they even are zone; after all Outlaws could be using stuff they were working on for Beyond Good and Evil 2. But it does seem to be open world, it looks like you can move from ground to air to space with your spaceship, and it does seem like you can just hyperspace jump to wherever you want. Game also has a strong kind of western feel to it, easy to imagine the speeder bike bit they showed being a shootout on horseback, just happens to be a western with space ships. I’m not sure there’s been a Star Wars game that really leaned on the whole space western vibe of the original movies.

Like it’s sense of style too. That big WANTED coming on screen also like a Mega Man X WARNING when you get a wanted level looked pretty great.
Don't be retarded. Hyperspace will be a loading screen obfuscation and you will have a handful of destinations unlocked by story progress.

J1M

Arcane
There's already some pushback online about 1. It's yet another Ubisoft open world 2. The choice of protagonist, a lot of people don't want to play as a woman.
They should let people play as a customizable character, including the filthy xenos. Star Wars has dozens of semi interesting alien races but they always choose human protagonists.

Realistically speaking the vast majority of males dont want to play as a chick and Ubisoft nows this. They have the data of their own older games were more than aprox. 70% of players always play as the male option. Even with the ridiculous push in marketing for female protagonists and Ubsioft retconing every game they released so that the female character is the canon option people still overwhelming refuse to play as them.
Men had no problems playing as Lara. Data may only be related to men not wanting to play UGLY female protagonists.

J1M

Arcane
Isn't the lead writer on this the same woman(?) creature that wrote Watchdogs Legion?

From her bio:

"I’m a comedy writer at my core, and love working with actors, collaborating and producing excellent work in fast-paced, creative environments. I am passionate about diverse storytelling - amplifying and offering new perspectives, and empowering other story tellers around me."

This game will be written with the Bechdel test in mind first and foremost.

At least you can make a drinking game out of how many times the protagonist has a conversation while eating.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Men had no problems playing as Lara. Data may only be related to men not wanting to play UGLY female protagonists.
The chick in this game isn't really ugly. It's just that she'll almost certainly be insufferable with all the dialogue.

J1M

Arcane
The chick in this game isn't really ugly. It's just that she'll almost certainly be insufferable with all the dialogue.
The character is less attractive than all of the women I've had sex with. Below the threshold where I would even approach to try.

It is a fictional virtual character. It exists to entertain the audience. It should possess unattainable beauty in the way Kratos posses unattainable muscle definition. These female protagonists should look like Megan Fox or Rachael Taylor in their prime but with larger beasts.

The gameplay trailer during the Ubisoft show actual looks good. Best looking Star Wars game since the 2000s.

Looks like you have a faction reputation system like GTA2 and the Mercenaries.

I wish they said more about it, because as is it’s hard to tell the size of it. How big the planet size zones are, or if they even are zone; after all Outlaws could be using stuff they were working on for Beyond Good and Evil 2. But it does seem to be open world, it looks like you can move from ground to air to space with your spaceship, and it does seem like you can just hyperspace jump to wherever you want. Game also has a strong kind of western feel to it, easy to imagine the speeder bike bit they showed being a shootout on horseback, just happens to be a western with space ships. I’m not sure there’s been a Star Wars game that really leaned on the whole space western vibe of the original movies.

Like it’s sense of style too. That big WANTED coming on screen also like a Mega Man X WARNING when you get a wanted level looked pretty great.
Don't be retarded. Hyperspace will be a loading screen obfuscation and you will have a handful of destinations unlocked by story progress.

I meant Hyperspace looks like something you select yourself, and that you can choose from a list of destinations as opposed to being a more linear thing that the game automatically kicks you into. So it seems you’ll be able to freely travel between locations as you wish as opposed to something like the somewhat recent Guardians of the Galaxy game.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
It is a fictional virtual character. It exists to entertain the audience. It should possess unattainable beauty in the way Kratos posses unattainable muscle definition. These female protagonists should look like Megan Fox or Rachael Taylor in their prime but with larger beasts.
Eh. She looks fine to me. About the same level as Kyle Katarn's girlfriend from the Dark Forces games, so not out of line for a Star Wars game.

And hey, there's nothing wrong with protagonists being a little ugly sometimes. Can't really name any female examples (might not exist), but Frank West from Dead Rising is one ugly motherfucker and is still great. It's not necessarily impossible for a female protagonist to have a similar charm, though of course this game will produce no such thing.

The actress they modeled the character on is hot. Only thing with her in the game is they gave her a kind of dumb hipsterish haircut, but that seems it.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if they let you change hairstyles in this like the recent EA Star Wars game with the guy that played Joker on the Fox Gotham show. Also wouldn’t be too surprised if the hair choice was chosen because in that newest EA Star Wars game they let you switch hairstyles, and the one the Internet seemed to be into was the mullet...which at the moment seems to be coming back into style with hipsters for some reason. Been seeing hipsters lately with ‘80s and early ‘90s white trash haircuts, the kind of haircuts that wandered off into Russia and other parts of Eastern Europe for some reason.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Handcrafted with hundreds of towers and "activities" each, like every other Ubisoft Open World for the last 15 years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom