Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fixed
fixed.jpg

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Considering this is closest we'll get to KOTOR3, the imperial agent storyline isn't that bad :oops: But yeah, I don't see why it needed to be a mmo.

Tarro Blood from the Bounty Hunter storyline is one cheesy mustache away from being a Mandalorian Snidely Whiplash. Still enjoy it, though. You get to tell hardliners from either side that you really don't care about their problems. "I'm looking for my bounty. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?"

Imperial Agent has the best storyline from my experience....and that of just about everyone else.

Jedi Knight if you basically want Knights of the Old Republic III. You are the Jedi Mary Sue.

And the choice between Sith Inquisitor or Sith Warrior really comes down to your tastes. The true power behind the scenes, or the definitive in-your-face battlefield wrecker and problem solver

Consular is give or take, Trooper I've heard to be meh and as for Bounty Hunter....well I've enjoyed the hell out of it but opinions are mixed. Go to a planet, track down the bounties. Talk some shit and make money. Y'know.

Smuggler's a string of glorified fetch quests with Han Solo/Atton Rand snark.

Tried Consular a bit before Knight, and something stood out to me. Oh man, my control of the Force is remarkable. They haven't seen anything like it in decades, etc.

Cue the entrance of the Knight.

Oh man, I'm the strongest potential they've ever met. The Force sings with me, I'll surely change the galaxy.

Now I have this mental image of the Jedi Enclave greeting every newly arrived Padawan this way, and then pushing them out the door to deal with Tython's apparently crippling infestations. Because actual Jedi can't be arsed to help, and the instructors on the planet flat out say they can't handle the wildlife so I'm the only hope. Motherfucker, I am looking at your stats right now. You have 20 levels and 10x the HP on me. You could fart and make my head explode.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Just downloaded this shit. Which classes have the least derpy best storylines?
Best story for glowstick wielders is the Sith Warrior. It was Bioware's pet project and it shows. Playing it as a lightsider makes actually sense instead of just added flavor. One companion even has a two different versions (light/dark) depending on your choices. The 'quisitor would haved really benifited from that mechanic, but they chickened out halfway into the story.

The best overall story is the Imperial Agent though: conspiracies, treachery, covering before the might of a sithlord adressing you and all that. But no glowsticks, just pewpew.

To sum it up (in order of awsomeness):

Sith Warrior -> Badass
Imp Agent -> James Bond
Inqusitor -> Badass Ghostbuster, shocking people with lighting during dialogue never gets old.
Bounty Hunter -> for fans

Jedi Knight -> Think Kotor 1, flawless knight in shining armor. The Laura Bailey companion does a pretty good job making it endurable with her snarkiness.
Smuggler -> light hearted, snarky, lives of funny situations
Trooper -> standard military stuff
Consular -> Stay away from that turd! The story was scrapped during development several times, got picked up by several other writers and ended up being a boring mess. Sadly it's one of the best rep classes, so many people HAD to endure it.

Even though the classes are just carbon copies between rep and imp, some advanced classes fit the story better than others, or just look better doing it.
Imp Agent/Smuggler for example can be a cover shooter or a backstabbing rogue. The rogue fits the agent story a lot better and the sniper is fucking boring. It's always the same shooting animation just with different lights on the barrel. Smuggler on the other hand is a dual wielding trick shooter, fitting the story better than a rouge pulling out a shotgun out of thin air. But that's just my opinion.

TLDR: Play Sith Warrior and/or Imp Agent and you won't be (terrible) disappointed.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is "combat diffculty". Since you are probably going to solo most of the time, you will want to run with the healing companion to speed the filler combat up. And that's a weak point of the game:
In order to make the classes play a little different, they shuffled around the order in which you get them. Bounty hunter has it the easiest, because the first companion is the healer. You are free to go all DPS. SW gets it second, so the same is true for him. Both classes are "beginner friendly".
Jedi Knight however gets his in his mid 30s, so have fun playing the DPS class instead of the tank, since the trashcan can't tank for shit unless you pump all your wealth into his equipment (at least when I leveled years ago).
Was especially funny against the endboss, where you HAVE to use him, but most players had him still running around with level 10 stuff. Bioware added a box with free gear for him later to counter that.

Last edited:

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I like how much KotOR music this game uses. Helps me almost delude myself into thinking I'm playing a real sequel.

Deleted member 7219

I completed the Sith Warrior storyline. For a sci-fi MMO, the storyline is pretty good. For a Star Wars game, especially one that follows KOTOR and KOTOR 2, it isn't very good.

I got to about half way through the Imp Agent storyline before unsubscribing. I didn't see quite what everyone else was seeing.

Tytus

Arcane
I completed the Sith Warrior storyline. For a sci-fi MMO, the storyline is pretty good. For a Star Wars game, especially one that follows KOTOR and KOTOR 2, it isn't very good.

I got to about half way through the Imp Agent storyline before unsubscribing. I didn't see quite what everyone else was seeing.

Sith storyline is ok only when you play as a light side Sith IMO.... Dark Side one is everything what is wrong about people writing stupid villains.

i don't know how you can appreciate this game's storylines when they're chock full of filler quests and trash mobs over and over.
i tried, i really tried, but i definitely couldn't like this crap.
well, i know being a freebie doesn't help, but still...

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Sith storyline is ok only when you play as a light side Sith IMO.... Dark Side one is everything what is wrong about people writing stupid villains.
That's why I consider the LS SW story among the best. Let the others play their stereotypical "hulk smash! lol I am evil!" story, as a lightsided SW your goal is to end the senseless infighting that errupts the empire and make it strong again. Sparing people is also not just a pussy weakling option, but realizing that their potential would be wasted as a corpse. Same is true towards alien characters. (Some of them even appear as a cameo ally before your final fight, nice touch)
Also Darth "Cookiemonster" Baras. Best character/voiceacting in the game. Trolling him is some of the most fun I ever had in a game. :P

well, i know being a freebie doesn't help, but still...
F2P restrictions are really a slap in the face in this game. From level 20 or so onwards you get so few xp you end up horrible underleveled all the time. 350k money cap also means you have to buy useless junk once you turn 40ish, or the money is lost to you.
When I returned a while ago to wrap up a few storylines, I had to buy dyes and speeders for every alt, just so the greedy huts don't absorb it. :argh:

Tytus

Arcane
You guys joke, but I was a total moron and bought the game when it was new. So I had to pay around 50-60 dollars for the game alone. The hype got to me and to this day I feel like an agent of decline. The game at launch had so many problems it was unplayable at times. And trying to play with friends was pointles, becaue you couldn't hear over half of their quests and vice versa. Don't know if it changed.

Xenich

Cipher
You guys joke, but I was a total moron and bought the game when it was new. So I had to pay around 50-60 dollars for the game alone. The hype got to me and to this day I feel like an agent of decline. The game at launch had so many problems it was unplayable at times. And trying to play with friends was pointles, becaue you couldn't hear over half of their quests and vice versa. Don't know if it changed.

You weren't the only one. I tried it out when it was released as well. My biggest complaint was the choice to speed up the leveling curve near release. It was completely stupid as it caused crafting to become completely pointless (by the time you researched and made a given item, you had already out-leveled it). Then there was the problem with the GUI/input system being useless for keyboard targeting, like the entire system was a leftover from them thinking about making the game for console (which they initially planned).

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I feel you, we (were hardcore SW fans) did the same thing and quit the game after finishing character main story quests. We gave up quickly after releasing that we are having fun in PvP, in a game where we only bought for PvE content...

I had some fun playing Bounty hunter mostly thanks to animations (Death From Above!) and dat Blizz. Medium sized battlles were a blast to watch but other that this game is a disaster for us.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
F2P restrictions are really a slap in the face in this game. From level 20 or so onwards you get so few xp you end up horrible underleveled all the time. 350k money cap also means you have to buy useless junk once you turn 40ish, or the money is lost to you.

Really? Because I was always overleveled for the next planet after I was done with the current one. Then again, I didn't skip all the "kill X of Y" multi-stage zone missions that popped up, and I added dungeon runs and crafting to my leveling because I felt like doing them sometimes. This was way before Galactic Starfighter update which I assume gives you even more experience if you bother doing that so I have no idea how you would end up underleveled unless you were purposefully skipping content. Money problem was real, although from what I gather they've removed skill training cost now which was a real money drain as you leveled up and tried to save for mount speeder training and actual mount speeder itself.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Really? Because I was always overleveled for the next planet after I was done with the current one. Then again, I didn't skip all the "kill X of Y" multi-stage zone missions that popped up, and I added dungeon runs and crafting to my leveling because I felt like doing them sometimes. This was way before Galactic Starfighter update which I assume gives you even more experience if you bother doing that so I have no idea how you would end up underleveled unless you were purposefully skipping content. Money problem was real, although from what I gather they've removed skill training cost now which was a real money drain as you leveled up and tried to save for mount speeder training and actual mount speeder itself.

I gifted SWTOR with a short return visit shortly after strongholds went live (for vip players at least). After wrapping up knight and warrior I decided to start a smuggler for the lulz. Until lvl20 or so you got xp boni from quest rewards, but then the game notified me that I will only get xp at a reduced amount from now on. Since I could sponsor him with items bought by my other toons I only had to buy the pilot training and could spend the planetary marks on barrels and the like. Without that sponsorship, it would have been a lot tougher. Nobody crafted anymore, so buying off the marketplace was unsuccessful. I got lucky with the speeder though, since people were selling their "lockbox consolidation prices" cheap, so at least I got nice dyes/mounts for my bucks.

But I ignored the group instances/starfighter, sometimes skipping the "kill x of y" stuff and went for a solo adventure, so maybe someone doing all of those can still "keep up" with his level.
Then again when I originally played, it was stll sub based and your toons got resting boni worth 0,5-1 level or so, making leveling really fast. So my warrior was already 50 before setting foot on Corellia.
IMHO Bioware considers the first 20 levels the "demo version", making it painful after that so people "buy" their product.

Edit: training skills still required payment at that time.

Last edited:
Even doing the starship turret missions nets you a respectable amount of credits and xp. Provided the missions are within 5 or so of your level you can usually fill up half an xp bar with a run through of that particular sequence.

Xenich

Cipher

Yep, same experience. Game was retarded in how much exp it gave out. I skipped entire areas because it was leveling me too fast (the game seriously needed an EQ2 "turn off exp" feature) and I gave up on crafting because you way outpaced the time it took to make anything of worth. Aside from several other issues, that was the biggest one for me. I mean, if they slowed exp down by maybe 40-50%, the game might have felt like a game rather than some shallow interactive movie. /shrug

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom