Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Play ESO instead and not got cock blocked by greedy Juice... I mean Hutts who own EA, you cant even use the yellow gear you find and earn from quests, while in ESO you got full game experience and if you like you buy DLCs you are interested in... or just play base game + Vanderfell+Graymouth you bought for 15 dolla on Steam Sale, its still longer than entire Star Wars main story line and quests are more varied too even if you don't touch group dungeons, arena and such stuff.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Ahaha, they restricted guild bank access? Sneaky gits used to go around the money restrictions by using private guilds with banks. I guess BW couldn't have that.
No fun allowed. :obviously:

At least you can get the free referral stuff to remove some restrictions. Wait... that just made me sound like "thanks for the scraps you throw below the table for me".
Sad.

The money restriction is the worst IMHO. Even tho it was increased to 300k IIRC, you can still buy jack with that little pocket change. Good luck finding the dye/crystal in your choice color for less than 300k.
Or hide the head slot. Which always bugged out for me when using the free token from the referal box.

I remember blowing yuge amounts of spaceshekelz on hookers and blow mounts and dyes just so it does not get taking hostage until I resub. I swear the Jews Hutts have taken enough of my moneys hostage by now to buy several preowned Star Destroyers. :hahano:

If by Star Destroyers you mean Harrower-class Dreadnaughts used as Impside Guild Ships, and if they are still 50 mil a pop, I could afford... 20 with the shekels Musco holds hostage.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Play ESO instead and not got cock blocked by greedy Juice... I mean Hutts
ESO cockblocks you too, tho not as hard. Mostly the lack of a unified crafting bag, making mats take up all your inventory/bank space. But crafting is a waste of time anyway.
When it comes to extra areas, SWTOR is ironically nicer. Sub for a month and everything available up to that point is yours forever.
ESO locks and even deports you from any area that was not part of your original purchase or was purchased extra once your sub runs out.
You want to play as 2h warrior? Sucks to be you, the mandatory armor only drops in Orcland. Please pay the humble admission fee of 10 dorrars to enter. Love, Todd. :argh:

Buuut... combat in ESO was so bad and tedious it sucked all my motivation out of me. My game came with 3 months of "do everything", yet I didn't even get to see Morrowind again. Sad.

I mean I still could one day, but since Cockwork City would be locked behind a paywall, I would miss 1/3 of the story arc. Don't want. :argh:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Bounty Hunter is surprisingly fun to play. Despite what I read the story is fine for me.

Well, BH is the worst Imperial class story, but that does not mean it is not nice. Might get repetitive later down the line, but certain companions might make up for that.

Really nice atmospherical music on Balmorra:

Music throughout all of SWTOR is very nice. I adore Balmorra.

SoupNazi

You can play without subbing and you'll run into people who'll pay you 30-50mil of the ingame currency for subbing via their referral code, btw.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I got lucky, found a class video where there was a still viable referral for a 7 day free subscriber access to the game:
Noooo you fool, you missed out on yuge moneyz from people PAYING you to use their refs. :hahano:

Well, I always used refs from people making helpful guides as a small token of thanks as well, don't be sad.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Good memories of my sith warrior story back at release. This game has the most enjoyable discovery phase, and quite repeatable because of each class having its own story.
But the F2P model is such that you need to be subbed -obviously- to do anything relevant, and since the playerbase is pretty low the chances of this 10 yrs old game dying soon are relatively high, so be warned. Apparently fake news, nvm.
Good option for "mmo tourism" though.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd say the Steam release added a bunch of new players. And with Steam you can get an idea of how many people are playing (right now it's 7000 through Steam), discounting those who installed the game outside of Steam

ADL

Prophet
That has to be like 1% of players because this game has made over a billion in revenue and it's exclusive to PC. MMO players never use Steam as a gateway unless it's exclusively sold on Steam from the start.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://mmo-population.com/r/swtor

I have no idea about the accuracy of those figures, I just like to google things sometimes to show people who don't google that they can get information they want by googling.

I find the figures completely bonkers, especially this one:

upload_2021-3-10_23-58-50.png

there was a server merge in late 2017, which is not something you'd do when numbers are going up

Codex Year of the Donut
https://mmo-population.com/r/swtor

I have no idea about the accuracy of those figures, I just like to google things sometimes to show people who don't google that they can get information they want by googling.

I find the figures completely bonkers, especially this one:

View attachment 18422
there was a server merge in late 2017, which is not something you'd do when numbers are going up
Server merge would make sense if you were upgrading hardware. The servers were extremely populated when I played it, and flashpoints popped instantly.

Easily the most populated MMO I've played after hopping through a ton over the past year and a half or so.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Do not underestimate the power of Steam. A lot of players are lazy blobs who only browse the available Steam library. If it's not there, it's not on their radar.
Especially those being used to consoles, where they get spoonfed what to play.
Fallout 76 got a massive boost from bringing it to Steam.

The only reason you do not put it there is greed, keeping it exclusive to your own shit to not pay for Gabe's 7th daily lunch.
EA had their Origin store back in the days, so they would obviously not suppport Steam, but now they have squeezed out everything they could normally, getting extra bucks for little effort...sure why not?

Codex Year of the Donut
in the midst of my communist lung disease feverdream I resubscribed to swtor
I logged in and have no idea what I'm doing

MMOs really need a "welcome back" tutorial to reteach you how to play the game/your class. I don't remember any of this shit.
At least SWTOR didn't have (much) ability bloat I suppose.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
At least they changed it a while ago so that buttons flash when you triggered something speshul for them. No need to remember everything.

Not that you need it, spamming your AoE is enough to win. And in flashpoints you just dance while your brobot does all the work. :hahano:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom