Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Tehdagah

Arcane
modern Beth isn’t even capable of making Skyrim 1, let alone Skyrim 2
Uh, what?
Makes sense to me. Skyrim, for all its flaws, still has some good/competent aspects. Bethesda don't seem capable of even reaching the standard they set 13 years ago, let alone improving on it; that's the point.
Is Codex now praising Skyrim? Dat revisionism.

quixotic

Learned
Lots of mediocre and bad games have redeemable qualities. To say otherwise is foolish, it’s not all black and white.
Skyrim, overall, is a bad RPG, but it’s got okay exploration (I hate how samey the Draugr crypts and Dwemer ruins are, and the “cites” are mostly pathetic, but there’s still some cool shit to find and see out there) a stellar soundtrack, and a couple of okay quests (Blood on the Ice and The Foresworn Conspiracy come to mind).

Yosharian

Arcane
modern Beth isn’t even capable of making Skyrim 1, let alone Skyrim 2
Uh, what?
Makes sense to me. Skyrim, for all its flaws, still has some good/competent aspects. Bethesda don't seem capable of even reaching the standard they set 13 years ago, let alone improving on it; that's the point.
Is it high praise to say a game has some good aspects?

Lemming42

Arcane
Looks like the first creation-kit-made overhauls are starting to arrive. There's one here that, among changes to gameplay and mechanics, makes all kinds of grand promises about messing with the procgen to make the universe much more exciting:
https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/9785

I'm definitely starting to see how this could work. Modders create lots of unique dungeons, encounters, and fun things to go in the POI pool, then everyone plays with a mod that massively increases the rate of POI spawns. Boom, populated universe.

ind33d

Learned
200+ pages for one of the worst games in history, you should all kill yourselves. Now bring in the bethestards talking about skyrim. Again, kill yourselves.
Beth games are designed like Quake, UT, and CS. The "game" part is just a marketing ploy for the modding tools. In the 90s everybody understood this

also lol at talking shit about skyrim, a game you can turn into a harem-themed VR throne world

I owned three boxed copies of Morrowind. I have never played Morrowind without plugins. Everyone played these games modded, always

Harthwain

Magister
I owned three boxed copies of Morrowind. I have never played Morrowind without plugins. Everyone played these games modded, always
I didn't. And neither did my brother, who recently replayed Morrowind. Without ANY mods (he had only the official expansions).

ind33d

Learned
I didn't. And neither did my brother, who recently replayed Morrowind. Without ANY mods (he had only the official expansions).
I mean nobody played literal unpatched Vanilla MW for very long, if at all. Even back then, everyone was downloading the propylon index and AOE arrows plugins.

Critics should be comparing Starfield to its closest analogue, Call of Duty 4. The progression system/skill tree/challenges is the actual "game" of Starfield. The moment-to-moment gameplay is irrelevant. If anyone isn't having fun, change the Level Up jingle and inventory sounds. It's Pavlovian. I'm completely serious. Nobody is helping Ryujin because it's fun. They're helping Ryujin because it gives XP, and leveling up makes a beep boop

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
200+ pages for one of the worst games in history, you should all kill yourselves. Now bring in the bethestards talking about skyrim. Again, kill yourselves.
also lol at talking shit about skyrim, a game you can turn into a harem-themed VR throne world
But what for? Why would you even want it? People using loverslab really have some issues or brain damage.
It's like making trolleybus from a loaf of bread.
gk5XAd3fw58.jpg

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Skyrim would have been great if it had the character system from the previous Elder Scrolls game and the quests were actually written with those character systems in mind. They stripped the character system down to the bare bones and pretty much anything remotely interesting in terms of being a CRPG went with them. It's almost like a character system is the cornerstone of a CRPG. Same thing goes for Fallout 4. You get rid of skills that range from 0-255(or even 100) and reduce them to "perks" which only have 0-4, and you really lower the resolution of how much divergence you can have in the elements that normally rely on skill checks. They gimped their design from the start on both those games by overly streamlining the character systems, which is why they wound up being a shallow experience.
Skyrim, overall, is a bad RPG, but it’s got okay exploration
Now imagine if Skyrim had Climbing, Athletics, and Acrobatics. How much better would that exploration have been?
and the “cites” are mostly pathetic,
How much better would they have been with Climbing, Haggling, and a decently implemented attribute system? With Climbing and the inclusion of balconies, they could have made thieving much more interesting. It's not like there weren't two story buildings in Skyrim. Even Acrobatics with a Khajit could have gone a long way the way it was in Morrowind. Attribute checks dealing with dialogue would have made cities better, but there's not a lot of skill checks with dialogue either.

I've heard that Starfield has a better character system, but is gimped in a lot of other areas. Bethesda has been coasting way too long on their name.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Skyrim would have been great if it had the character system from the previous Elder Scrolls game and the quests were actually written with those character systems in mind. They stripped the character system down to the bare bones and pretty much anything remotely interesting in terms of being a CRPG went with them. It's almost like a character system is the cornerstone of a CRPG.
When you say character system you refer to classes?

Yoomazir

Educated
If Failout 76 is any indication, give Starshit 5+ years of content and it might turn out passable.

ind33d

Learned
If Failout 76 is any indication, give Starshit 5+ years of content and it might turn out passable.
But Fallout 76 is nowhere near passable.
76 is unironically more impressive than New Vegas

In 76, i've had to wait in a line of real players to talk to a vendor.
I can't say that's what I play RPGs for.
As I watched him slowly walk out of the shop while I bought my Nuka-Colas from the vendor bot, I considered following him and shooting him in the back. That one moment of PVP that didn't even take place is more interesting than everything in New Vegas

Butter

Arcane
Patron

As I watched him slowly walk out of the shop while I bought my Nuka-Colas from the vendor bot, I considered following him and shooting him in the back. That one moment of PVP that didn't even take place is more interesting than everything in New Vegas
IDK why you're bringing up New Vegas, but OK. You have an unusual standard for what constitutes interesting gameplay. Hey, did they ever fix 76 PVP where it was completely fucking pointless because the other player had to consent to being shot?

ind33d

Learned

IDK why you're bringing up New Vegas, but OK. You have an unusual standard for what constitutes interesting gameplay. Hey, did they ever fix 76 PVP where it was completely fucking pointless because the other player had to consent to being shot?
No, 76 is still fucked up. I'm just saying that people don't properly review games, like Bethesda's, that have construction mechanics or modding tools. Halo Infinite is a mess too, but it has an incredible map editor and literally zero of the Metacritic reviews have been updated to mention it. You really get out of these games what you put in.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

No, 76 is still fucked up. I'm just saying that people don't properly review games, like Bethesda's, that have construction mechanics or modding tools. Halo Infinite is a mess too, but it has an incredible map editor and literally zero of the Metacritic reviews have been updated to mention it. You really get out of these games what you put in.
But 76 doesn't have modding tools. That's a huge part of why it's irredeemable. It's a Bethesda game that the players can never fix.

ind33d

Learned

But 76 doesn't have modding tools. That's a huge part of why it's irredeemable. It's a Bethesda game that the players can never fix.
I meant the building mechanics in general. All that happened was Bethesda started making Minecraft games without changing the names of their IPs. This is a stupid decision, but from a profit-driven perspective, I understand why they did what they did.

Lemming42

Arcane
Now that the modding scene is expanding (from "nonexistent" to "scarce"), does anyone have any modlists or mod suggestions?

I've not started another playthrough yet and won't until the DLC comes out, but looking through the Nexus I'm interested in Useful Brigs, which lets you put captured enemies in the brig on your ship and then turn them over to guards for a bounty. You can combine it with Non-Lethal Framework, which makes EM weapons less stupid, or, I think, this stealth takedown mod. Unfortunately it is apparently buggy as fuck and Bethesda have apparently already broken half of these.

This follower behaviour mod also seems useful, makes it so companions don't completely fuck up stealth anymore.

Other than that, it's still vanishingly slim pickings right now. You know we're in trouble when the top mods are Star Wars reskins and mods that add posters featuring AI-generated risque images of scantily clad men and women to your ship.

ind33d

Learned
Now that the modding scene is expanding (from "nonexistent" to "scarce"), does anyone have any modlists or mod suggestions?

I've not started another playthrough yet and won't until the DLC comes out, but looking through the Nexus I'm interested in Useful Brigs, which lets you put captured enemies in the brig on your ship and then turn them over to guards for a bounty. You can combine it with Non-Lethal Framework, which makes EM weapons less stupid, or, I think, this stealth takedown mod. Unfortunately it is apparently buggy as fuck and Bethesda have apparently already broken half of these.

This follower behaviour mod also seems useful, makes it so companions don't completely fuck up stealth anymore.

Other than that, it's still vanishingly slim pickings right now. You know we're in trouble when the top mods are Star Wars reskins and mods that add posters featuring AI-generated risque images of scantily clad men and women to your ship.
Yeah, once you can fly Class C ships, the game really opens up. Most players must quit before they even start finding temples. Capital ships would be pretty cool, some mods for ships that can't land but have to beam you down to the surface would be interesting

KeAShizuku

Educated
That's because Morrowind already had content. It didn't need mods.

I'll never forget the vampire quest line that you actually had to find out for yourself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom