Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
well, there you go. I went for the cell's edge once and it took a long time, just to see how big it is, don't think you will hit a wall during normal play, POIs also stop spawning way before the edge so even less reason to go that far

Robotigan

Learned
I do find the openings of Oblivion, Skyrim, Fo3 and Fo4 to be overlong and melodramatic but I think the issue with them is mostly that they're too scripted which deters players from starting a new save (without alt start mods enabled).
But Starfield literally has a quickstart option already.

Lemming42

Arcane
You mean NG+? A lot of people aren't going to finish the game before wanting to start another, and especially not the main quest - on all my Skyrim playthroughs I think I've engaged with the main quest in less than 10% of them; Starfield's main quest is of around the same quality and I imagine a lot of people dipping in and out and/or modding the game won't want to go through all the starborn stuff just to unlock NG+.

Robotigan

Learned
The point is it costs basically nothing to just implement a quickstart option, so there's no need to compromise the opening for repeat playthroughs.

Shaja

Educated
Back to negative again? This time 27% so far. Are you winning, Todd?

starfield-currently-has-mostly-negative-reviews-on-steam-v0-ds2h5u8gqi6d1.png

BruceVC

Magister
Mods can not fix Bethesda games.
Yes they can and historically have a record of doing so in regards to gameplay and immersive roleplaying. Ask anyone who played Horizon in Fallout 4 and Requiem for Skyrim. Bethesda's biggest problem as a developer is they implement a bunch of half-baked features and never fully deliver on their pitch... But it's enough for modders to work with.
This is absolutely my view and its been my experience with most Bethesda games

They generally have a flawed launch but then official updates get released and the talented modding community does the rest. Your Requiem point is the perfect example of this

Starfield will be no different and I predict in 24 months or so it will be a much more popular, appreciated and recommended game. Thats when I will play it but I want to wait until the rights mods are released

ind33d

Learned
Back to negative again? This time 27% so far. Are you winning, Todd?

starfield-currently-has-mostly-negative-reviews-on-steam-v0-ds2h5u8gqi6d1.png
a TIE Fighter/X-wing flight sim faction questline would pump up those numbers. It makes zero sense that you can pour millions of credits into building a Star Destroyer and then the only thing to do with it is take pot shots at two Level 7 Crimson Fleet pirates. The space combat is pretty solid but there's no reason to do it

Actually there should be an orbital bombardment mod, didn't Sins of a Solar Empire have mechanics for attacking planets from orbit? Blowing up moons for resources would be awesome

Lemming42

Arcane
It feels almost like they were skittish about the space combat, the Crimson Fleet questline promises a huge space battle at the end but it kinda fizzles out, the pirates are level scaled (iirc) and you also have a ton of allied ships so you don't really have to do anything. Maybe they were spooked about experimenting with a game mode they'd never done before and getting bad feeback.

With it being such a major mechanic there really should have been an entire pilot questline.

Vic

Savant
Back to negative again?
another review bombing campaign, this time due to paid mods.

I wish starfield would finally slip away from the mainstream and us core fans can be left in peace enjoying and modding the game

bethesda are really the victims of their own success here, way too much hype/attention was generated for what is basically a niche title.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I wish I could finally slip away from the codex and leave the fans there in peace so that they can enjoy discussing actual RPGs and I could go and continue eat shit and be dumb with the other NPC predditors, mouth breathers, glue sniffers and paint lickers, under toddler's gay gaze whispering "it just works, they don't know a thing, you're my favorite"
There ya go, fixed it for ya. Good to go now. No charge. Yer welcome.

Lemming42

Arcane
bethesda are really the victims of their own success here, way too much hype/attention was generated for what is basically a niche title.
The mood in the gaming community has shifted over the last 10 years to the point where a lot of people are just generally hostile to almost every big release, except for certain ones which are deemed to be instant classics. I remember back in the day if something shit came out, we'd generally laugh at it for a week or two and then move on, but now people just harp on endlessly about shit and spend all day obsessing over games they hate (or haven't even played).

Starfield was always going to be a magnet for people to piss and moan about, given the way everyone's soured on Bethesda for all kinds of reasons. Of course the game does have some major flaws which makes it an even easier target.

I just ignore 90% of what people are saying online these days, people are so relentlesly and tediously negative that there's just no point engaging most of the time.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
"Basically a niche title" = budgeted at tens of millions (hundreds of millions?) of dollars. This is some serious cope.

Vic

Savant
"Basically a niche title" = budgeted at tens of millions (hundreds of millions?) of dollars. This is some serious cope.
mhh, I guess. The concept is more niche imo. It's a space exploration game where often times nothing happens and you just look at the scenery while walking around. Or build your own spaceships, or whatever. The loot system is also looter shooter style. Just doesn't sound like a mass appeal banger to me.

quixotic

Learned
It’s the chickens coming home to roost, Bethesda made their bed (years and years of nothing but insanely mediocre to shit games, getting worse and worse as time went on) and now they have to lie in it.
They had the opportunity of a LIFETIME, a new IP with a massive budget, and they made a game so boring and lacking in content that it’s not even worth pirating.
People are also rightfully pissed that TESVI was put on the back burner for this crap. Morrowind to Oblivion was a little under four years, Oblivion to Skyrim was five years, TESVI was announced SIX years ago while Skyrim’s turning THIRTEEN this year. Of course people are pissed at Starfield, they should be.

Lemming42

Arcane
If they make "mediocre to shit" games then why would you even want TES VI?

I agree they've been on a horrific downward spiral since 2015, Fo4 was shockingly poor and Starfield is profoundly flawed and it's a mystery how it took them so long to make something so slight on content, but if you think that their past work is mediocre at best then I don't get why you'd still be following the company at this point. It's like buying Dragon Age 4 and being shocked to find out you've bought DA2/Inquisition again.

I mean, I think modern Obsidian are shit. I think Avowed will suck. I'm still going to play it but I know I almost definitely won't like it based on their past work, so it'll be a week-long amusement. It won't be the start of a months-long obsession with me talking every other day about how much I didn't like Avowed, a game I knew I wouldn't like going into it.

quixotic

Learned
If they make "mediocre to shit" games then why would you even want TES VI?
Personally I don’t give a shit, but Bethesda fans do. Beth announced it, then gave them Fallout 4 but worse in space. The dumb, optimistic, out of the loop Beth fans are in for a rude awakening when VI comes out, but that doesn’t change the fact that Starfield delayed VI, and that most Beth fans don’t like it.

Lemming42

Arcane
You're probably right, but it still seems like an odd line of logic to me. "This company we don't trust to make good games has chosen to make a poor entry in a new IP, instead of a poor entry in a series we care about! Also, their past games are shit, which is why we demand more!"

Harthwain

Magister
I wish starfield would finally slip away from the mainstream and us core fans can be left in peace enjoying and modding the game

"A niche title"?

:what:

You're talking about Starfield here? It is big, because that's how Bethesda has been rolling for years since Oblivion. Only this time they apparently forgot what made their games popular to begin with (easy and free modding) and couldn't bring on the quality to make up for their poor business decisions (you would thought the failure of Skyrim's paid modding crap was clear enough sign that it's not a good way to operate).

I just ignore 90% of what people are saying online these days, people are so relentlesly and tediously negative that there's just no point engaging most of the time.
Eh, it is Codex's tradition to complain about popular games (even if some of them aren't bad). That said, the fact that Starfield managed to get this low in terms of review score shows just how dry the well is, when it comes to the goodwill of the fans.

quixotic

Learned
You're probably right, but it still seems like an odd line of logic to me. "This company we don't trust to make good games has chosen to make a poor entry in a new IP, instead of a poor entry in a series we care about!"
Bethesda fans aren’t smart. They think that TESVI will be Skyrim 2, while modern Beth isn’t even capable of making Skyrim 1, let alone Skyrim 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom