Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
This game is more fun than cuberpunk 2077 at launch.
Fake news. Provided you weren't a console sped and didn't have whatever hardware that ran into serious bugs/performance issues, 2077 was a better looking game with a much better (not saying much here) story, and far better (still not saying much) gameplay.

I played it on my laptop and had a great time with it. Disappointing still, but far more enjoyable than this.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Going back to your point I don't believe Kenshi would have been that much better with more money.
Eh, how did Diablo sell a shitzillion copies and create an entire subgenre?

Taking Kenshi and upscalling the graphics would certainly produce a higher quality product that would move more copies. But the real point isn't kenshi itself. Youre right, the literal autist who wrote Dwarf Fortress probably can't run a real studio. Yet the recent steam release of his game made him a ton more money. The point is the industry obsession on chasing last year's gaming trends, forever. For the longest time it was common knowledge that hard games didn't sell, then we got Dark Souls. It was common knowledge that games needed guided story quests and on-rails handholding, then we got Breath of the Wild.

Bethesda gave people open world when RPG meant linear quests and cutscenes. Now open world isn't special anymore and Bethesda is trying to make linear story quests. FFS.

Open world isn't new, all the classic RPGs were open world. It's true that big studios won't fund multimillion experiments. The model is not sustainable. They take the current popular things, mix it in a slurry, and try to add lootboxes and season passes. But that doesn't mean there isn't money on the table waiting for someone to take it. Stephanie Meyer wrote a story based on her dream diary and became a billionaire, not because she was a good writer but because she gave the market something no one else was giving it.
Call me jaded but this is an ideal world scenario, it would be great to have, everyone with a brain knows it, but the environment (call it the industry, system, corporate culture or a jewish conspiracy if you wish) filters this out apart from rare flukes that seep through the cracks (the first Fallout was this, apparently Fargo and the rest didn't give a shit or believe in the project, and just written it off letting Cain and crew do whatever they wanted :lol: hilarious and depressing simultaneously). If Diablo never happened today's Blizzard would never make it, because they system is as it is and that pioneering "start-up" creative phase they had died when the suits from Activision came in.

This is why I also see MS gobbling up studios as likely a bad thing, it's just going to get worse regarding the systemic filtering out of risky innovative concepts in those companies (even if Obshitian is shit, it will probably get worse). On the other hand Rimworld, Kenshi and others prove that with middleware even as flawed as Unity talented devs can do something great and better than AAA, so AAA and the big publishers might as well be ignored especially if you expect actual incline.

Also this reminds me of the time my boss was reading annual project survey feedback on one of the projects I was involved in. One guy wrote something that everyone would like, but it was simply impossible to implement because the decision-makers are clueless suits, the stakeholders would bitch because they are used to the old way and god forbid they need to do something efficiently for a change and not like cavemen boomers, and also general corporate politics and feudal squabbles would be involved due to the scope. My boss however upon finishing reading that comment just said "this guy had to be on crack or he's new here".

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I agree 100%. EVERY SINGLE system in Starfield is underwhelming compared to Fallout 4 (even Fallout 3). I'm 25 hours in and the game has gotten worse, not better.
but I'm at level 10 and I still feel as strong as I did at level 1.
Glancing at my saves, I had leveled up 18 times in the number of hours it took you to level up 9 times. Not sure what activities you're engaging in, but I probably would have abandoned the game if advancement had been that excruciatingly slow. Even as things are, the game feels much slower than it should be, due in part to the poor UI and ubiquitous loading screens.

How can this company have fans is beyond me. At this point, for real and no joke there should be some psychologists and/or psychiatrists analyzing this fanbase. It's unreal how reason and arguments do not get through to these NPCs. Which just reinforces my belief that some companies that are very successful utilize psychological understanding to develop techniques implemented in the gameplay loops that create some sort of addiction of some description.
Otter-Watermelon.png

Ulysa

Scholar
How can this company have fans is beyond me. At this point, for real and no joke there should be some psychologists and/or psychiatrists analyzing this fanbase. It's unreal how reason and arguments do not get through to these NPCs. Which just reinforces my belief that some companies that are very successful utilize psychological understanding to develop techniques implemented in the gameplay loops that create some sort of addiction of some description.
And Bethesda is nothing but a collection of crooks that lucked their way into success. In this world you can truly make the lowest of the lowest effort products and you can make a career out of it and be acclaimed. And as an added bonus even get an army of NPC simps to provide protection detail online and IRL. Fuck this w..
I am getting fun. Who knows. The dialogues are fun and make me laugh something that BG3 and the likes never did for me with its weirdo -lets fuck a bear- type of humor. I am loving landing on planets I choose and taking pictures. I actually like the companions, they are not empty sexopaths, they resemble normal people. The other day I did the Terrormorph quest and it was a love letter to my favorite movie. Impossible not to love for me.
The gameplay is pew pew, but for over-thinking and strategy I would have fun with an X-Com game or Pathfinder , I am at state in my life in which I can appreciate a casual gameplay too. And to be fair this has a lot more rpg elements than the last Bethesda games, but it is also more like a sandbox too.
Sue me dude.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
And Bethesda is nothing but a collection of crooks that lucked their way into success. In this world you can truly make the lowest of the lowest effort products and you can make a career out of it and be acclaimed. And as an added bonus even get an army of NPC simps to provide protection detail online and IRL. Fuck this w..
I am getting fun.
JyPq5tN.png

Lemming42

Arcane
Bethesda seems pretty unique in that people who don't enjoy their games will still keep playing every new release. Imagine if like, Total War had a dedicated community of people who do not like Total War games at their very core but have still played every game since Medieval 2 just to complain that, yep, it's still Total War and they still don't like it. "I can't believe it! It's basic grand strategy with real-time battles again!" It sure is.

There's obviously much to criticise with Starfield and a lot to analyse in how they might have fucked up badly by making the central gameplay loop harder to access than in their previous games, but I don't get why people who haven't enjoyed any Bethesda game since MW/Oblivion would even try to play one at this point. "Oh god, I bought a bag of Doritos and yet again it turns out there's Doritos inside!" Correct.

Ben Zyklon

Educated
This game is more fun than cuberpunk 2077 at launch.

Fake News, characters were way better in CP, the quests too, yeah the world was bland in terms of interactivity it wasn't GTA but the city was amazing and you could actually explore the world and find many things to do.

Starfield cities and places looks o damn boring and bland.

Just compare any of the beginning quests of SF with the quest in CP where you go to buy the robot, that shit was tense and there were many ways to resolve that quest.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Bethesda seems pretty unique in that people who don't enjoy their games will still keep playing every new release.
People used to play them back when there was a serious drought in RPGs. I picked up Skyrim for around $5 years later because what else was I going to play? Bloodlines for the 20th time? Arcanum for the 40th time?

But with more RPGs than ever, and HD video on Youtube, I have no need to even try Starfield to laugh at how bad it is. And I have no intention of buying it either, since it has tranny pronoun cancer in it.

Ben Zyklon

Educated
Bethesda seems pretty unique in that people who don't enjoy their games will still keep playing every new release. Imagine if like, Total War had a dedicated community of people who do not like Total War games at their very core but have still played every game since Medieval 2 just to complain that, yep, it's still Total War and they still don't like it. "I can't believe it! It's basic grand strategy with real-time battles again!" It sure is.

There's obviously much to criticise with Starfield and a lot to analyse in how they might have fucked up badly by making the central gameplay loop harder to access than in their previous games, but I don't get why people who haven't enjoyed any Bethesda game since MW/Oblivion would even try to play one at this point. "Oh god, I bought a bag of Doritos and yet again it turns out there's Doritos inside!" Correct.

Im going to talk about my experience with Bethesda games:

I have only finished three Bethesda games in my life:
  1. Fallout 3
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Skyrim
Games that I played a lot but never finished:
  1. Oblivion
  2. Morrowind
Games that barely played:
  1. Daggerfal Unity
  2. Currently Starfield
I have analized why I haven't finished more Bethesda games and the answer was:
  1. Combat sucks
  2. Story, narrative and general writing is ass
  3. Presentation of said bad writing is even WORSE
The three games I finished: FO3, FO4 and Skyrim I only liked the Fallout games, Skyrim just finished because I felt the obligation to do so but IMO it's the worst TES game ever created.

The Fallout games hooked me immediately because FO3 had this gritty sad world where you had to survive and felt like an actual survivor, I remember the quests were much better than Skyrim and the story too.

FO4 had great gameplay improvements and I enoyed the settlement mechanic (i wish they had been attacked more often and not spawning enemies in the middle of it) it felt more "happy" than FO3 and that is why I prefer FO3 because the atmosphere and feeling like an actual survivor. FO4 BTW did a ton to improve presentation and in Starfield they seem to gone back again.

The VATS mechanic immensely helped me to like the combat, I just love those cinematics this is why I just love FO3 and FO4, VATS really helps me to bypass the shitty Bethesda combat.

I was in love with Oblivion and I will go back to it at some point because I think its the better balanced TES that still has some Morrowind in it but the combat is a bit better than Morrowind.

I also was in love with Morrowind when it was launched in xbox, I couldn't play it myself because at the time I didn't own a pc or an xbox (was a ps2 owner) so I watched my cousin play it and I was so jealous of him for that game, played it like 2 years ago with my GF with a multiplayer mod and it felt super dated, the combat was just horrible but I did was amazed by the enchanting and the spell creation mechanics but the horrible combat just bored me.

I think Bethesda games DESPERATELY needed:
  1. Better combat
  2. Better writing
  3. Better presentation
So far it seems only the combat is a bit of an improvement and not much, its as basic as any shooter but the other two parts are still bad specially the presentation, when are they going to stop putting static NPC's when talking, they barely move or express anything with their bodies, compare the dialogues with the ones in BG3 and they are night and day.

The strong aspect of Bethesda games has always been the exploration, even Skyrim still has a very strong exploration aspect and they fucking gutted their only strong point in starfield so what do you think is going to happen?

People will notice more the other 3 points I mentioned: bad combat, bad writing and bad presentation.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

Bethesda is that 6/10 you dated for way too long who was kinda chubby and a bad cook but always put out.

Although I've always thought the codex love for Morrowind is odd as I found that game pretty disappointing after Daggerfall, and Oblivion is ruined by horrible level scaling. But I actually quite like Skyrim as I found it the best realization of the heroic fantasy genre Bethesda was going for after DF. I just don't talk about it much here because I'm not stupid.

Elthosian

Arcane
Frankly, I'm baffled this game doesn't have a backlash on the same magnitude than Cyberpunk.
Everything in it is outdated and is absolutely shameful in 2023.
The AI is at least 20 years old delayed, even worse since Fear's AI was certainly better in all areas.
The environments are incredibly dull, empty and could be rendered on a PS3.
The gameplay is certainly awful and worse than half-life 1 but when this is your principal focus on a game, it's should be a death sentence.
The story is shit and makes no sense from an human point of view, nobody would call a complete stranger to fetch an artefact and enroll into an important mission.
The looting is mediocre, only rewards you get are standart weapons +% modifiers, same goes for the skills.
The graphics, lightning, shadows, water physics are at the very LEAST 20 years old delayed.
When Ground Zeroes released on the PS3 outmatch it in these categories, you know there is a problem.
The space combat is inferior in every regards compared to Rogue Squadron 2, a game released on Gamecube with a tiny budget.

Their engine is a massive POS and should be thrown into a dustbin.
400M$, this scam, lmao.

They released a very decent Xbox version and at least half of the player base is playing that one. Add to that the 20% PC AMD share that got decent optimization and you get something playable that casual (aka: most) gamers can play without whining. The game has a 77% score on Steam right now and you can bet more than half of the bad reviews are about it performing like shit on NVIDIA GPUs with little commentary on the gameplay being shallow and the environments being dull.

CP2077 was outright unplayable on PS4 and Xbox One which at the time were the two platforms with the most players. Unsurprisingly, these voices were very loud and caused the rest of the game to fall under much harsher scrutiny.

Lemming42

Arcane
Although I've always thought the codex love for Morrowind is odd as I found that game pretty disappointing after Daggerfall, and Oblivion is ruined by horrible level scaling. But I actually quite like Skyrim as I found it the best realization of the heroic fantasy genre Bethesda was going for after DF. I just don't talk about it much here because I'm not stupid.
For what it's worth, I agree. Come over to the "Morrowind was decline" thread if you want a good (bad) time.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Frankly, I'm baffled this game doesn't have a backlash on the same magnitude than Cyberpunk.
The AI is at least 20 years old delayed, even worse since Fear's AI was certainly better in all areas.
The gameplay is certainly awful and worse than half-life 1 but when this is your principal focus on a game, it's should be a death sentence.
The story is shit and makes no sense from an human point of view, nobody would call a complete stranger to fetch an artefact and enroll into an important mission.
The looting is mediocre, only rewards you get are standart weapons +% modifiers, same goes for the skills.
The graphics, lightning, shadows, water physics are at the very LEAST 20 years old delayed.
When Ground Zeroes released on the PS3 outmatch it in these categories, you know there is a problem.
The space combat is inferior in every regards compared to Rogue Squadron 2, a game released on Gamecube with a tiny budget.

400M$, this scam, lmao.

They released a very decent Xbox version and at least half of the player base is playing that one. Add to that the 20% PC AMD share that got decent optimization and you get something playable that casual (aka: most) gamers can play without whining. The game has a 77% score on Steam right now and you can bet more than half of the bad reviews are about it performing like shit on NVIDIA GPUs with little commentary on the gameplay being shallow and the environments being dull.

CP2077 was outright unplayable on PS4 and Xbox One which at the time were the two platforms with the most players. Unsurprisingly, these voices were very loud and caused the rest of the game to fall under much harsher scrutiny.

Normally they'd just upgrade their graphics card and be done with it, however the midrange card no longer exists. It's all gimped crap to make the retard high end more appealing.

Ben Zyklon

Educated

400M$, this scam, lmao.

One of the reviews I watched said they have the suspicion that releasing the game as an Xbox exclusive was what held down the development of the game and why it had to be a loading screen simulator, I want to agree with that because I know now they released it on Xbox series S...

There was no way CP was going to work on old hardware and CDProjekt Red went full greed trying to even make it possible to have more sales.

About Steam reviews: they are completely unreliable, many people refunded the game and weren't allowed to review the game, if those people were allowed to leave a review the game would be in mixed reviews which is basically what the Metacritic user score shows.

HammyTheFat

Scholar
Just beat the main storyline today and I have to say it's an improvement over fallout 4s, skyrims, and especially fallout 3s.

Instead of all that chosen one bullshit at the end of the game you are just one of many immortal crackheads trying to get ahold of some addictive rocks.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just beat the main storyline today and I have to say it's an improvement over fallout 4s, skyrims, and especially fallout 3s.

Instead of all that chosen one bullshit at the end of the game you are just one of many immortal crackheads trying to get ahold of some addictive rocks.
When you put it like that...

Highlander DLC when?

Ben Zyklon

Educated

How is it an improvement over Skyrim when you are the dragonborn in space?

Are there any desicions or many paths?, different endings? because if no then its 100% inferior to FO3 & FO4

HammyTheFat

Scholar

How is it an improvement over Skyrim when you are the dragonborn in space?

Are there any desicions or many paths?, different endings? because if no then its 100% inferior to FO3 & FO4
There are decisions. But paths? Skyrim and FO4 didnt really have any with one exception for FO4 which was destroy the institute or dont.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
So I downloaded a torrent to see if the game will even run on my Windows 7 PC. I installed the game, applied the crack, and got this:

SbVZToey_o.png

So I guess not? Reading a little on it it seems like it might be related to Windows 7, but I'm not sure.

ColaWerewolf

Educated
It's perfectly reasonable to like F4/F3 more than Starfield, but I don't get how you can't find any enjoyment out of SF, even if to a lesser extent, if you liked F4/F3. The formula might be different and, in your opinion, worse, but it's still there. The setting is different, yeah. Exploration is still there, just spaced out more. People actually complained about that in Skyrim and the Fallouts, that everything was too close together like an amusement park. Now they complain it's too far apart.

I played Morrowind first then all the other TES games sans Battlespire, then the Fallout games sans F76. I absolutely liked some more than the others, but they're the fucking same type of game (with exception of Arena and DF maybe), just with sometimes writing being worse in one game than the other, or the quests, or the premise, or the characters, or the spells, or the gunplay, etc. But I can't say I played a game that, despite liking less than the others, gave me no enjoyment. Because it's just Morrowind but with robots. Or Skyrim but with guns. Or Oblivion but with spaceships.

It's like wanting a chimpanzee as a pet, but going in a triggered state of frantic butthurt whenever you see a bonobo and calling for their mass extermination. They share literally 99% the same DNA.

Robotigan

Learned
It's perfectly reasonable to like F4/F3 more than Starfield, but I don't get how you can't find any enjoyment out of SF, even if to a lesser extent, if you liked F4/F3. The formula might be different and, in your opinion, worse, but it's still there. The setting is different, yeah. Exploration is still there, just spaced out more. People actually complained about that in Skyrim and the Fallouts, that everything was too close together like an amusement park. Now they complain it's too far apart.

I played Morrowind first then all the other TES games sans Battlespire, then the Fallout games sans F76. I absolutely liked some more than the others, but they're the fucking same type of game (with exception of Arena and DF maybe), just with sometimes writing being worse in one game than the other, or the quests, or the premise, or the characters, or the spells, or the gunplay, etc. But I can't say I played a game that, despite liking less than the others, gave me no enjoyment. Because it's just Morrowind but with robots. Or Skyrim but with guns. Or Oblivion but with spaceships.

It's like wanting a chimpanzee as a pet, but going in a triggered state of frantic butthurt whenever you see a bonobo and calling for their mass extermination. They share literally 99% the same DNA.
In case you haven't noticed, RPG fans in particular are very attached to that last 1%.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
So I downloaded a torrent to see if the game will even run on my Windows 7 PC. I installed the game, applied the crack, and got this:

SbVZToey_o.png

So I guess not? Reading a little on it it seems like it might be related to Windows 7, but I'm not sure.
you need windows 10

images

note the SSD required

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
How do I get the minigun and the drum barrel grenade launcher? Are these weapons level locked?
I think they might be, I don’t remember finding cool weapons like the Magpulse on low level, but you can check Centurion Arsenal in the residential district in New Atlantis if they sell any cool weapons.

shops always sell level scaled items to your level

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom