Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Robotigan

Learned
The average Bethesda fan definitely had a negative view of Fo4 when it came out. I remember r/fallout, the trusted source to see what the average dumbass thinks, was about 80% threads of people shitting on the game, with 20% threads of people going "why's everyone shitting on this game!? yeah it sucks, but ___".
FO4 has robust and compelling game systems. That's why everyone always bregrudgingly admits it's "mindless fun", that means game systems are working well. The details that upset people were largely cosmetic or unwelcomed changes to the franchise. But on its own merits, it's actually a pretty good game. This probably wouldn't irritate me so much if the game everyone decided to praise instead wasn't The Witcher 3. Because TW3 has mediocre to sometimes outright bad system design where it feels like features were haphazardly thrown in for arbitrary reasons. TW3 was one of the most egregious offenders of comically large maps with nothing to fill the space and its progression systems are the most blatant of stat treadmills. In terms of pure game design, FO4 is straight up better in a ton of ways and it won the more prestigious GOTY awards like DICE and BAFTA.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
This game is basically gonna be just Fallout 4 in space.
toddhowardsamegameitdf1.png

Drakortha

Liturgist
I bought the controller because I needed a new one and thought it looked cool.
No harm done, mate. Bethesda are just really passionate about their games. Why should it be any different for their merchandise? Todd isn't trying to sell you worthless plastic shit. How could he when he's in the "Molyneux zone"?

Robotigan

Learned
I bought the controller because I needed a new one and thought it looked cool.
No harm done, mate. Bethesda are just really passionate about their games. Why should it be any different for their merchandise? Todd isn't trying to sell you worthless plastic shit. How could he when he's in the "Molyneux zone"?
Who gives a shit? I max my 401K every year.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Please stop playing shitty games for the mods. You are supporting shit games by doing this.

If you need mods to make it playable why are you even bothering with it when you could play any other game?
But what substitute do I have for Cyberpunk 77? Disclaimer - I'm not playing for graphics whoring.

Maybe Deus Ex?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

https://www.ign.com/articles/todd-howard-interview-starfield-sgf-2023

Would you point to any other games as inspiration for Starfield along the way? I mean, not in the literal sense of, "I want to do what they did," but in terms of giving the player a feeling that something that... A game you played that you really wanted to convey. I mean, when you first showed me this game a while back, I mean, I certainly was reminded of Elder Scrolls and Fallout to... I mean, the DNA is there, but the other, I would say, two non-Bethesda games that I got little vibes from were No Man's Sky and Mass Effect.

TH:
Well, clearly, those other games that are science fiction, I think you might look at and say, "Okay, this is science fiction. It's like that." I think the minute to minute, obviously on the ground, it has similarities to Elder Scrolls and Fallout and the things that we've made and how it feels in your hands or some certain mechanics.

But believe it or not, it's the games that put you in a world, that transport you to a place. So I think it also as a flow, probably has more of a feeling of a [Red Dead Redemption 2], right? Like I'm living the Western fantasy. So in this, you're living this science fiction explorer fantasy, and sometimes that's being on a barren planet and nothing is going on.

Funny that Todd would say Starfield's gameplay evokes RDR2 of all open world games, because RDR2 has always been under heavy criticism because of the feeling of tediousness of its open world gameplay combined with the heavily railroaded main story missions. I think he obviously didn't mean to say the same things are present in Starfield, and was comparing the gameplay in a more abstract sense, but in a more abstract sense, that's how I was picturing it too. You ride from place to place, stumble upon something and try to learn what you can about the place, with player curiosity turning some reward for the player character.

Readher

Savant
Please stop playing shitty games for the mods. You are supporting shit games by doing this.

If you need mods to make it playable why are you even bothering with it when you could play any other game?
But what substitute do I have for Cyberpunk 77? Disclaimer - I'm not playing for graphics whoring.

Maybe Deus Ex?
No, bro. You're supposed to play PS:T for the 1000th time. Or some obscure game that looks like a cat shat all over the graphics. You can never ever play any AAA game, because..., uhhh..., you just can't okay?

Can't wait to buy the game and mod it. I'm not paying for premium on Nexus, so I'll just entertain myself by reading Drakortha's seething while the mods are downloading.

AwesomeButton

Patron
No, bro. You're supposed to play PS:T for the 1000th time. Or some obscure game that looks like a cat shat all over the graphics. You can never ever play any AAA game, because..., uhhh..., you just can't okay?

Can't wait to buy the game and mod it. I'm not paying for premium on Nexus, so I'll just entertain myself by reading @Drakortha's seething while the mods are downloading.
I do play old school (90s games at least) stuff, don't get me wrong, but I've always found PST too difficult on the "suppression of disbelief" side, when it comes to the commonly held belief that it has stellar writiing. I'm supposed to play it for the writing, but honestly, I'm past the age where I can believe its writing is good.

Readher

Savant

Can't wait to buy the game and mod it. I'm not paying for premium on Nexus, so I'll just entertain myself by reading @Drakortha's seething while the mods are downloading.
I do play old school (90s games at least) stuff, don't get me wrong, but I've always found PST too difficult on the "suppression of disbelief" side, when it comes to the commonly held belief that it has stellar writiing. I'm supposed to play it for the writing, but honestly, I'm past the age where I can believe its writing is good.
I play those games too, obviously. I played them when I was a kid that barely understood English or the mechanics, and I play them now when I understand both. There just simply aren't enough "masterpiece" games in the genre that cater to my tastes to last me for the lifetime, and I can only replay them so many times before I can pretty much recite what the dialogue will be in the next moment. So sometimes one needs to compromise, and when you're playing Bethesda games, you aren't even compromising much if the idea of their games appeals to you, as there are literally no alternatives. Some people misunderstand the modding completely too. It's not that it's required to make Bethesda games good, as it all depends on what you're looking for in their games. For one person it will be graphics, and he'll clog his SSD with 8k parallax vine texture, for another it will be survival elements, for another better quests, robust crafting, or any combination of those and much more. Bethesda games are essentially frameworks for an experience tailored to you, and it only works because the base game is largely unoffensive and just offers base systems to expand upon.

If you're looking for cRPG elements like great writing and complex C&C, then what are you even doing in a Bethesda game thread? They literally NEVER offered that. Morrowind had great lore and word building and that's it. Everything else was always barebones if you were looking from a cRPG perspective.

EvilWolf

Learned

Look; I can respect your purpose, but why is this your hill? There are tons of actual garbage fire games normies buy every year that you could shitpost about, why does this game make you seethe so hard? What even makes you think there is a game that I can get the same experience out of that I could get with a specifically modded game?
Tell me which game world is geographically larger. Tell me which one has an actual physics system outside of a select few pre-defined object types which are only bound to a single physics model. Tell me which one has exponentially more character models. Tell me which one has more C&C. I could fill a page with the reasons your comparison is retarded, but I'm sure in your infinite wisdom as a connoisseur of gaming that you get the picture.

Readher

Savant

Look; I can respect your purpose, but why is this your hill? There are tons of actual garbage fire games normies buy every year that you could shitpost about, why does this game make you seethe so hard? What even makes you think there is a game that I can get the same experience out of that I could get with a specifically modded game?

Tell me which game world is geographically larger. Tell me which one has an actual physics system outside of a select few pre-defined object types which are only bound to a single physics model. Tell me which one has exponentially more character models. Tell me which one has more C&C. I could fill a page with the reasons your comparison is retarded, but I'm sure in your infinite wisdom as a connoisseur of gaming that you get the picture.
Don't bother. Those people act as if Bethesda clones that are 10x better are coming out every year. It's not like they have no competition whatsoever and when someone finally "attempts it", if you can even call it that, you get Avowed, or rather Adisappointed.

Kiste

Augur
Sure, but RDR was released 13 years ago and was running on significantly weaker hardware (Xbox 360 vs. Xbox Series X). FFS, the 360 had 0,5 GB RAM, the XSX has 16 GB.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Bethesda games are modding platforms. What other games are this moddable? On top of that, unfortunately, they dominate this space, they have no competition when it comes to this open world, mindless fun, power fantasy...thing. Cyberpunk 2077 was supposed to kill Bethesda and instead it turned into Cybershit current year. And again, you don't have to buy a game in order to play it....wink wink and all that. Pirate the fucking thing. It also seems that I won't be able to play it (no dx12 compatible gpu) regardless so whatever. I'll live.

Yosharian

Arcane
Bethesda games are modding platforms. What other games are this moddable? On top of that, unfortunately, they dominate this space, they have no competition when it comes to this open world, mindless fun, power fantasy...thing. Cyberpunk 2077 was supposed to kill Bethesda and instead it turned into Cybershit current year. And again, you don't have to buy a game in order to play it....wink wink and all that. Pirate the fucking thing. It also seems that I won't be able to play it (no dx12 compatible gpu) regardless so whatever. I'll live.
But nobody wants to play in their open worlds lately, e.g. Fallout 76

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Yep decided ill get Starfield! Even if it will end to be mediocre oh boy all the great mods we are gonna have!!!

Child of Malkav

Erudite
So which mouse is the most long lasting? Which brand is it nowadays? I got a Red Dragon Legend 4 or 5 years ago and only now it started bullshitting around (double clicking, holding not working anymore etc.)

Alter Sack

Magister
Skyrim had at least decent graphics on release and was a somewhat acceptable walking simulator because of that and the somewhat impressive scenery.

Now we get Skyrim in space with thousands of procedurally generated sterile looking planets and shit graphics?

Oh boy, can't wait for the release of that shitshow.

And half of the codex has probably already preordered it. :negative:

Last edited:

Readher

Savant
So which mouse is the most long lasting? Which brand is it nowadays? I got a Red Dragon Legend 4 or 5 years ago and only now it started bullshitting around (double clicking, holding not working anymore etc.)
There's no rule, really. Aside from turbo budget shit, everything can either last you 10 years or break down in a month.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom