Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Drakortha

Liturgist
Further evidence that I'm right.

Bethesda went full autismo on systems and aesthetics but forgot to populate 1,000 planets worth of content (because of course they couldn't, nobody can, and it was a bad idea from the start).
You just don't know what genuine game design looks like. The robot companion can say your name!!!

Silverfish

Arbiter
You're right. Bethesda are genuinely pushing game design forwards by removing skills and giving us perks that add 10% damage.

Nearly all of Fallout 3's skills have direct descendants in Fallout 4's perks. The only exceptions are speech, which was rolled into the Charisma stat (which actually makes sense) and repair, the loss of which even I'd grant is gay and decline.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Todd said 4 "fully developed" https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/z872w8/according_to_todd_howard_starfield_will_have_4/
that's less than F4, and there's a new list, a list led by some meme guy and the rest of the article is moronic parroting about romancing & stuff, instead of actual depth of gameplay (doesn't bode well ):
https://gamerant.com/starfield-companions-romance/

Bethesda went full autismo on systems and aesthetics but forgot to populate 1,000 planets worth of content (because of course they couldn't, nobody can, and it was a bad idea from the start).

Without trying to defend potential lack of customized content anywhere but considering we're talking about space here in general, outside of resource gathering it would seem sensible that most places would be void of anything all that interesting to do.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Meanwhile articles on Bethesda are oozing with
gay.png
to such a ridiculous degree, wow
https://gamerant.com/fallout-4-next-gen-update-capital-wasteland-commonwealth-inspiration/
The Capital Wasteland in Fallout 3 became an iconic setting in itself. The Commonwealth hasn't been able to reach the same level of depth, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have the potential to take the spotlight in the next-gen update, especially in a game where the dialogue and RPG elements have been criticized. With all the inspiration from history, the ability to build settlements, the different factions to join, and the range of environments the Commonwealth has to offer, Bethesda has the opportunity to really focus on the worldbuilding in Fallout 4's next-gen update and give players a setting that rivals the Capital Wasteland.
"fallout-4-next-gen-update" oh yeah right,those used to be some kool-aid but don't worry
But got the last sentence right pretty much.
Bethesda has the opportunity
Das rite. Afaict it's specifically its missed opportunities are interesting wrt. Bethesda games. And boy they miss the mark so bad and it's not a question of modding.

Last edited:

tritosine2k

Erudite
Todd said 4 "fully developed" https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/z872w8/according_to_todd_howard_starfield_will_have_4/
that's less than F4, and there's a new list, a list led by some meme guy and the rest of the article is moronic parroting about romancing & stuff, instead of actual depth of gameplay (doesn't bode well ):
https://gamerant.com/starfield-companions-romance/

Without trying to defend potential lack of customized content anywhere but considering we're talking about space here in general, outside of resource gathering it would seem sensible that most places would be void of anything all that interesting to do.
They showcased spaceship hijacking that can fold out 500 different ways in theory, so that could make up for it, in a rather SERIOUS game.

Latelistener

Arcane
30fps on Xbox X and even in their own direct it dropped below that. Expect shit optimization and PC isn't a panacea. It will work like shit on all platforms.

The question is why? Fallout 4 already utilized 8 threads so it shouldn't be a CPU thing. Their world is again a collection of instances without seamless transitions between space and planets.

Another thing I was baffled with is that the ship you're flying is close to frigate class, but you have no turrets. Basically, you can only shoot straight and have to chase every little ship. What kind of game design is that? Doesn't make any sense.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Fo3 remake wouldn't be bad, if only they could prioritize and it'd come with endless tunnels + Reilly's Rangers + hotel rescue stuff first at the expense of exteriors.

thesecret1

Arcane
https://www.gamingbible.com/news/starfield-map-could-be-biggest-thing-ever-seen-863802-20230612

Here is some further information on the 1000 planets. The planets will be procedurally generated and then unique and specific activities will be added for each planet
Yes, that's how procedural generation tends to work. It's probably the worst part of Starfield revealed so far. 1000 planets of which 900 will be featureless boring wastes of time that you nevertheless have to filter through to find those with actual content.

Akachi

Educated
There are an estimated 100 billion planets in the Milky Way alone, how is anyone impressed by the number of 1000 in the first place, especially when they look like garbage based on what they've shown so far? The aliens, like the nonsensical giant sunflower bug, look like something a 5-year-old came up with rather than something come up with by a biologist (or someone with even high school knowledge of biology, which evidently isn't Bethesda) that's actually alien, and modders won't be able to fix this game's core systems that make up its main flaws just like they've never done anything to fix Skyrim's terrible quest and dungeon design.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The rocky barren planets they've shown look really good visually, but that matters for all of 5 seconds until you realize they offer nothing to do.

ind33d

Learned
Post-patch Fallout 76 is underrated. Bethesda is a good developer, consoles have just been holding games back

Starfield should just be space-themed Daggerfall with procedural generation and NPC dispositions

Jarmaro

Liturgist
https://www.gamingbible.com/news/starfield-map-could-be-biggest-thing-ever-seen-863802-20230612

Here is some further information on the 1000 planets. The planets will be procedurally generated and then unique and specific activities will be added for each planet
This is not some further information, just another woman stating her opinions as facts. No new information has come out, everyone's clueluess about the real working of procedural generation ever since the Starfield Direct. No one knows how it really works.

Akachi

Educated
The rocky barren planets they've shown look really good visually, but that matters for all of 5 seconds until you realize they offer nothing to do.
I may not have seen those, since the only planets I've seen so far had dull Earth-like horizons with the skies looking nothing near as fantastical and impressive as some on actual exoplanets are thought to look. The life on them also all looked especially drab and Earth-like to me, like Earth metazoans and plants Frankensteined onto another world rather than anything from entirely new phyla with completely separate common ancestry. At least on a rocky planet, you can avoid it being covered with Earth plants.

Decline from what? What games are you playing where this is your expectation?
I have no expectations from a trash company like Bethesda, but I don't see why the number 1000 should be impressive when a game is set in space in the vast universe. That is nothing, and your hyperbole of what I said is nonsense, since obviously no one expects games to be modeled down to the atom.

Starfield should just be space-themed Daggerfall with procedural generation and NPC dispositions
But that is what it is...
What an insult to Daggerfall.

Lemming42

Arcane
The aliens, like the nonsensical giant sunflower bug, look like something a 5-year-old came up with rather than something come up with by a biologist (or someone with even high school knowledge of biology, which evidently isn't Bethesda) that's actually alien
I don't think the game's aiming for realism, given that you can punch people 300 feet into the air.

BruceVC

Magister
If you spend 5 minutes on each different planet, that's > 80 hours of play.

How many planets do you actually intend to visit in your first playthrough? A million?
Zero, why would anyone with taste play this game?
I absolutely love food and I have excellent taste and Im DEFINITELY playing this game ...just not straight away :bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom