Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
1693958408637.png

1693958503568.png

I pirated BG3 and made it to chapter 3 before uninstalling it out of cringe.

About to install Todd's masterpiece now, I'm absolutely, 100%, positively sure I will LOVE it and buy 7x70 copies.

I sure love post-2020 AAA gaming.

Lemming42

Arcane
It's good! Repeating advice for all newcomers from the other thread:
For anyone who's about to start the game tomorrow, trust me on this - explore New Atlantis just enough to get familiar with what it is and who the United Colonies are, do a couple of sidequests if any strike you as interesting (check out The Well), but then leave New Atlantis ASAP and go to Cowboy World to join the Rangers, or Cyberpunk World to join the megacorp. On the way to each planet you should find yourself awash in sidequests and random encounters in space, which are fun. Go back to New Atlantis only when you've gotten to grips with what the game is and the tone it's going for.

I don't know if it's specifically New Atlantis' fault, or just the fact that it's the first city in the game and new players will be confused by it as they don't understand the game's tone and design philosophy, but New Atlantis really does suck. Even now that I'm enjoying the game, I'm finding it a drag to go back to with its endless elevators and trams.

Robotigan

Learned
Didn't they see this coming?
I bet they had systems in place but for one reason or another they hacked it apart. Just like Oblivion and the radiant AI which was originally totally awesome and chaotic
It does have a very Oblivion vibe to it. It's full of experimental ideas and not all of them land cleanly. No doubt some stuff had to be paired back or cut, and their reach clearly exceeded their technical capacity at times. Overall it comes together well enough to enjoy as a rather unique gaming experience, and it'll occupy a larger mindshare than most games because of how unique it is. It'll probably donate tons of stuff to subsequent Bethesda titles that will leverage them in a more polished and meticulous manner.

At the end of the day, if you can't at least appreciate this kind of game, you have no heart. Everyone says they want AAA games that attempt to innovate and try risky ideas, well this is it. No one needed another ultra-polished cinematic drama with all the contemporary gameplay motifs sanded down for easy mass consumption. There will be more of them, I promise. This is a genuinely interesting game which in some ways makes it better than a perfect one. Also, it's pretty fun to roleplay and build space ships.

ADL

Prophet

I effectively got the game for free by selling the watch from the constellation edition so I'm keeping it but I'm glad digital people can refund it throughout early access seeing as the two hour refund window isn't enough. Still better than Fallout 4 and honestly enjoying it more than Skyrim but anyone downplaying the issues it has as a looter shooter/roleplaying game can fuck right off.

Last edited:

man-erg

Novice
First impressions: Hey, isn't that the rock formation that was repeated 5000 times in Oblivion? Why is this mine, in 2300, using antique fire extinguishers from 300 years ago? Why does this mine and equipment in it, look just like a mine in 2023, only everyone is wearing spacesuits?

That first 40+ minuted cave crawl tutorial in Oblivion was a drag. But this is worse. And in Oblivion, at least once you got out, the world looked amazing for its time. Here, it's underwhelming. The leading edge has moved on, but Bethesda are still cobbling together the same small variations on a 20 year old theme. It is so uncreative and unimaginitive. Laughed out loud several times at game mechanics and ideas ripped from every other space game. The weapon box stolen from Borderlands (only containing a boring gun). The space pirates that are wacky, zany and totally maaaaaaaaaaaaaaddddd!!!!!!!!! It's all "killin y'all yee haaarrr". The lock picking mini game. Space dog fights that make no sense. Guided missiles that can't home in on a target from 1000 meters away, when we have missiles that can home in from miles away already. None of it makes sense in a sci-fi world building sense. But hey, gameplay. Which just appears to be shooting, Fast travel to next location for shooting. And the dogfighting that is shooting, only with a wobbly aiming sight. And to fill in the fast travel to the next place that looks very like earth today, only with space suits.
Graphically, the planetscapes do look good, though empty. And the interiors also look graphically good. Not much better than say, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and with far less choice in how you approach them. And the only "city" I've seen looked not very good at all. That transit station we keep seeing. Uninspiring and could have been done in 2010. Borderlands, Death Stranding etc even No Mans Sky, all did look unique and amazing when first released. But by now, Starfield just looks like something that we've seen many times. And i haven't seen anything innovative in the gameplay yet, either.

The story? Not sure if I've found it yet. Only been playing 4 hours. Maybe this "You only get it after 10 hours" will kick in! And other positives - I actually like the fast travel. Because there is nothing to see and it helps get the thing over with quickly. And I suppose that much of my complaint applies to the space shooter genre in general. It struggles to solve the problem that space is empty and boring. So has to resort to absurdities and anachronisms like having the tech to travel the universe, but all other tech is the same or worse than we have today.

Last edited:

Ben Zyklon

Educated
200k players and the dishonest low IQ's actually think that the positive reviews matter with that low amount of players.

The amount of people that refunded must have been huge, there is no way this game was only going to get 200k players on release time.

Old Hans

Arcane
Fuck, i hoped that mirrors not working in Mafia 3 would be the last time when i heard about AAA slops ignoring basic stuff like that. Years later and it seems that art of mirror programming truly belongs in the past...
from my understanding the way mirrors work in video games was by duplicating the the area you are in, which gives the illusion of a reflection, but all it really accomplishes is hogging up resources (which can be put to better use for things like fast travelling through outer space)

Last edited:

AlwaysBrotoMen

Educated
Want to change FOV easily in Starfield?

Ok its really easy. Go to: Documents\My Games\Starfield

Make a new text file called "StarfieldCustom.ini". It will turn into "StarfieldCustom.ini.txt". Just RENAME and delete the .txt at the end. Now you have an INI file. Or just name the file and put .ini instead of .txt when creating the file. Hit enter. Done.

Open the INI file and add this inside (copy paste the text from here if you want):
[Camera]
fFPWorldFOV=95
fTPWorldFOV=95

Change 95 to whatever FOV you want (i use 95 rght now. Its not the standard FOV). 2 entries because one is for first person and the other is for third person. Thats it! Easy peasy!

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Want to change FOV easily in Starfield?

Ok its really easy. Go to: Documents\My Games\Starfield

Make a new text file called "StarfieldCustom.ini". It will turn into "StarfieldCustom.ini.txt". Just RENAME and delete the .txt at the end. Now you have an INI file. Or just name the file and put .ini instead of .txt when creating the file. Hit enter. Done.

Open the INI file and add this inside (copy paste the text from here if you want):
[Camera]
fFPWorldFOV=95
fTPWorldFOV=95

Change 95 to whatever FOV you want (i use 95 rght now. Its not the standard FOV). 2 entries because one is for first person and the other is for third person. Thats it! Easy peasy!
I did that and my computer exploded.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
The more I learn, the more I think Starfield is (1) a disappointment upon release, but (2) will be a pretty good game after patching, DLC, and mods. The story and world building will never be salvageable (generic), but could become a neat rpg/space survival sim with enough quests to keep it interesting.

Bethesda clearly bit off more than it could chew. The project is ambitious at the macro level (huge space RPG, orbits calculated in real time, procedural generation out the wazoo, modular construction of things in any location), but seems flat to me at the micro level (aforementioned genericness and lacking features that should obviously be in the game, but didn't make the cut).

For the ambition, I dub Starfield :incline:.

Todd took a big risk and there's something worthwhile in the result. Give me a risk that only pans out halfway over a "safe product" any day of the week.

Not gonna buy it yet... but if they can transplant some of the cool new engine innovations into a universe I'm actually interested in, like TES or Fallout, then I'll be pleased. In the meantime, I have enough on my backlog to not need Starfield.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom