Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - now with Shattered Space horror expansion

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
is this even gonna be worth picking up in...six years when it's like, five freedom fries?

ArchAngel

Arcane
there are only 2 tracks which I consider good, and one of them is the title screen music, rest is pretty meh

that's the other one, and it's very cinematic and spacey, plays on snow planets

A nod to this:

One of the tracks basically rips off Star Trek.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
is this even gonna be worth picking up in...six years when it's like, five freedom fries?
That depends on whether and how quickly Bethesda releases the Construction Kit for Starfield, so that modders won't be as restricted as they are currently. :M

Rhobar121

Scholar
That depends on whether and how quickly Bethesda releases the Construction Kit for Starfield, so that modders won't be as restricted as they are currently. :M
The question is whether decent modders will care about this. The last thing we need is a million crap mods like F4.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Finally finished it, alt-f4, uninstall. 60-odd hours of boring shooting and looting. This game gives me the same feeling as Assassin's Creed Odyssey. On paper it should be the greatest game ever made. Fly into space, get into dogfights, board the enemy ship and take it over, sell it, land on planets, explore strange new places, find cool loot, build bases, upgrade everything, build custom ships, get into hundreds of quests, etc. etc.. And yet it's like the most bland and tedious experience ever. Starfield is the pudgy 6/10 you dated for 2 more years than you should have because she was low maintenance and you didn't feel like finding someone else. Starfield is the crappy job that pays the bills you know you should quit but at least it's secure. Starfield is the all singing, all dancing, crap of the gaming world.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
1696131448331.png

ind33d

Learned
Bethesda should have gone in the opposite direction and instead of the universe being a barren wasteland it's already brimming with life and every world is inhabited, so the player feels insignificant. I think they were planning on making Starfield like Fallout 76 with few to no NPCs and multiplayer but the plans fell through. The gameplay would make much more sense if you were in co-op and could trade mats with a friend, explore the same landing zone, etc. What would Starfield feel like if you were in a fireteam of three human players instead of alone? Probably much better

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
game’s concept is good but it’s underdeveloped

to make starfield truly good it needs:

- more advanced outpost building and more uses for the products. Trade, personal combat robots, power armor/mechs, advanced ship building etc.
- Space combat needs to be much better implemented so it’s actually fun to play
- A lot more unique armor and weapons with unique bonuses that greatly change up how you play your build, add more variety to the combat and make loot hunting more rewarding

etc. etc. etc.

Will we ever see a finished starfield after years of patches, DLCs and 15,000 mods installed? Who knows.

jackofshadows

Magister
^ even with all of that some of the core stuff as inept and bland and as fuck wordbuilding will remain the same. All those space niggerfaggots aside how you can be immersed for example when you have New Atlantis which is actually pretty tiny and surrounded by sheer nothingness? No, no amount of mods can turn this pile of incohesive turds into actually appealing sandbox.

ind33d

Learned
^ even with all of that some of the core stuff as inept and bland and as fuck wordbuilding will remain the same. All those space niggerfaggots aside how you can be immersed for example when you have New Atlantis which is actually pretty tiny and surrounded by sheer nothingness? No, no amount of mods can turn this pile of incohesive turds into actually appealing sandbox.
Would the engine support going underground without switching cells? Maybe modders could leave the planetary surfaces the same but add caves, ruins, etc. sort of like Minecraft.

N'wah

Novice
It's just so... boring. Maybe the NASA "punk" really does it for some people but for me there were no hooks in the first couple hours that made me want to put up with all the loading transitions and clunky UI navigation and Fallout 4 gunplay (again). I'm sure there's some real world scientific explanation why New Atlantis looks like chlorine covered shit but it just lacks any sort of wow factor and the creepy characterless bug eyed npcs didn't help either. I threw in the towel when one of the NPCs wanted me to fetch their coffee.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
It's just so... boring. Maybe the NASA "punk" really does it for some people but for me there were no hooks in the first couple hours that made me want to put up with all the loading transitions and clunky UI navigation and Fallout 4 gunplay (again). I'm sure there's some real world scientific explanation why New Atlantis looks like chlorine covered shit but it just lacks any sort of wow factor and the creepy characterless bug eyed npcs didn't help either. I threw in the towel when one of the NPCs wanted me to fetch their coffee.
you are boring

jackofshadows

Magister
^ I think that's a perfect encapsulation of Starfiled actually, maybe even every Beth game for that matter. And a motivation video to do something productive. Just imagine how bored one must be in order to do shit like that.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The game would be better if they removed most of the content from the game. What the hell does anyone care about 1000 shitty and almost identical planets?
Make 10 planets and they will be enough.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game would be better if they removed most of the content from the game. What the hell does anyone care about 1000 shitty and almost identical planets?
It's the 'push a button something awesome happens' philosophy.

deuxhero

Arcane
you are boring

Reminder that every two of these sandwiches has more polygons than what in 2001 was deemed the highest polygon count model ever included in a video game (and the game had to cheat and only render parts of the model at a time).

Caim

Arcane
you are boring

Reminder that every two of these sandwiches has more polygons than what in 2001 was deemed the highest polygon count model ever included in a video game (and the game had to cheat and only render parts of the model at a time).
It's part of the reason why the game runs like shit as well.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
you are boring

It's part of the reason why the game runs like shit as well.

Time to get a real computer, bro. :lol:

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I've been playing Cyberpunk for a while now, right on the heels of Starfield, and a couple of observations:

1) Talking to any named character makes it seem like they have a life to get back to after the interaction. It's a small thing but so different from Starfield's NPCs whose only life goal is very obviously to stand in one place and respond with dumbass lines to the dumbass questions you pose. (Except the Trade Authority brotha on Mars; I want to hang out with him, play Xbox together, and maybe cuddle a bit, no homo though.)

2) I have not seen a single loading screen. I can walk from the outside of the building to the inside, seamlessly. OMG the future is here you guys. (Just get an SSD bro, get a fast PC bro: fuck you, I have both, the problem isn't the TIME they take, it's the constant breaking of immersion.)

3) Main story is just as much on rails as Starfield, but at least it's interesting, even though I played the game a few years back when it came out. ('Tard-brain privilege I guess.)

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Starfield would have been better if there had been only been a dozen or so inhabitable planets, in the sense of having gravity, atmospheric pressure, atmospheric composition, water, and radiation within acceptable limits for human survival, but each of these planets had been an Open World environment in the style of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. Meaning largely hand-crafted material with only procedural assistance for vegetation and so forth, and the actual content would similarly be hand-crafted. Rather than attempt to replicate the actual size of the planets, each Open World environment would be similar in size to those earlier games, representing a much larger area. It wouldn't have been feasible for the amount of content in each of these planets to be equivalent to those earlier games, but instead each planet would be much less dense in terms of content than the fantasy worlds which tend to be crammed with dungeons. This would work quite well with a 'theme park' approach, since this would allow Bethesda to draw on existing Science Fiction inspirations for an ice planet, a desert planet, a cowboy planet with the environment of the American southwest, a planet with insectoid fauna similar to Morrowind, a Cyberpunk planet, and so forth; each of them would have some noticeable environmental variation, similar to Morrowind or Skyrim, but it wouldn't be realistic in terms of depicting an entire planet. The fauna and flora would match the theme, and the human inhabitants would also be thematic, to some extent, so that instead of having a completely random selection of individuals in every world, there would be realistic clusters of national origin.

Procedurally-generated barren planets would still be present for players who wanted to engage in the outpost building, resource collection segment of gameplay, but this would remain purely optional, aside from their use in certain quests that probably shouldn't occur on the inhabitable worlds, such as the main quest artifact collection and temple power acquisition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom