Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Thread - Shattered Space expansion coming September 30th

NoMoneyNoFameNoDame

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Patron
The Starfield main quest takes 22 1/2 hours to beat according to this.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game/57445

A quick glance on Youtube of lets plays will show that most people skip dialogue, don't do sidequests, and sprint and fast travel everywhere, whenever possible. Although, that is not unique to Starfield.
Wow. Redaxium 2 takes 20 hours to beat for a new player.
Seems I still have something of a gap to close between me and Bethesda.

Redaxium 2 also lacks sufficient New Game+ options. A lot to think about here.

LanciaArdita

Literate
Morrowind, Morrowind medieval Europe, Morrowind Scandinavia and then finally Morrowind in space.
another Morrowind baby. There was nothing unique about Morrowind except for Kirkbride's quirky, drug induced writing
That's your gripe with Kirkbride, his Morrowind stuff? And not all of that revolting sexual ESO retconning about gay daedra molesting each other? Whatever man.

Still I don't see how Pagliarulo, whose best game design moment consists of writing Dark Brotherhood teen edgy one liners is any better.

You know, the guy who nabbed the position of senior designer early on and is making sure that any Bethestard story line amounts to nothing more than a fever dream manifested from the struggling cognition of a retard.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
That's your gripe with Kirkbride, his Morrowind stuff? And not all of that revolting sexual ESO retconning about gay daedra molesting each other? Whatever man.
I never seriously played ESO and I don't care much about it.

And I'm really not a Bethestard it's just the staff being out of touch and not reading my posts so I don't really care much for the rest of your post either.

My point was, Morrowind was shit and didn't innovate anything that became a staple of open world RPGs. Gothic came before Morrowind and is the better game.

LanciaArdita

Literate
My point was, Morrowind was shit and didn't innovate anything that became a staple of open world RPGs. Gothic came before Morrowind and is the better game.

Mhm, I neither fully agree nor disagree.

The minutiae of the Elder Scroll setting is pretty neat, and IMO one of the better ways of handling Divinity in a fantasy game. It tackles philosophical stuff like pantheism, deism, creation mythos, immanence, transcendence and so forth. It is leaps and bounds ahead the DnD MO, which is basically an inflation of apotheosis and divine intervention.

Gameplay-wise Morrowind was also pretty neat in regards to immersive fast travel, levitation (due to cities not being walled in a separate cell like in Oblivion) and a very peculiar way of handling the faction system.

IMO both Morrowind, and Gothic 1&2 were incline compared to the latter elder scrolls entries and stuff like Gothic IV/Arcania/Whatever was the name of that steaming disaster.

Caim

Arcane
You can say what you want, but Strafield is a really great representation of Abbos.
2250892_700b.jpg
mamma mia

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Vic is a nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger.
Is this a cry for help?

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

Why not take the discs out the case and give them away as free coasters at that point? Why even bother selling it for 3c?
Vic is a nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger,nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger, nigger.
Is this a cry for help?
I thought it didn't bother you so I decided to keep it as a peace offering. I hope you'll chill the fuck out and stop being a nigger now.

Caim

Arcane

At some 4:40 in the guy talks about where the hate for Emil started, and one of the ancient search results we see from 2007 was from the Codex, but less than half a minute later he manages to find the source of all Fallout hate: none other than our very own Bradylama.

Yosharian

Arcane

So I'll be honest I was ready to annihilate NNB for this one, but the more I watch of this video, the more I agree with him. To my shock, it seems actually true that Emil's been unfairly assassinated (lol) for the content of that Copenhagen speech. It IS a shit speech (NNB says as much), but the discussion around it has been equally retarded tbh.

What I will not do is forgive Emil for his shit work on Fallout 3, Fallout 4, or Starfield (which he is additionally the lead designer on as well as lead writer). He clearly isn't a good writer, judging him solely by the product of his work.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
NKB has a point.

Is Emil responsible for Bethesda's writing ? Probably, at least to some share. Maybe even extensively.
Is he the sole responsible ? Who knows. What about Todd. What about Microsoft. Heck, what about HR.

Ultimately, the point is that the writing in Starfield doesn't justify ad hominem and misinformation. It doesn't justify to call for his firing, since Bethesda doesn't work for gamers, but for themselves and Microsoft. How can anyone feel betrayed by the writing when it was widely criticized since launch ? They don't force you to buy their games, and you have plenty of information about their quality online.

The quality of Starfield is Bethesda's fault, as a collective entity. Nobody but themselves know how they work internally. But whatever, it doesn't excuse harrasment and misinformation.

I'll push it even further. NNB's video, if you put in parallel with Hbomber's video point at a larger Youtube problem. Criticism is plagiarized, and unchecked. By the end point, the source of the facts is too obscure to even bother checking, but the important is that content is generated and that people watch the video asserting their opinion to the end.

It reminds me of that Civ1 legend about Gandhi nuking everyone. Everyone was sure of it, because they had it from a reliable source, which themselves had it from another source. None of these sources had bothered to check though, and it was all a lie in the end.

The point of NNB's video is not Starfield's quality or who's responsible for it. It's the fact that it doesn't allow you to spout nonsense online.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom