Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starsector - RT 2D indie space goodness

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/813347264

Stream of yesterday's 1st round of Starsectors 11th tournament. It's a pvp tournament again, with 32 participants. Rules and scores are available in the links:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kYP-WsNo8dFb93Ptwz-DJ_OmM/edit#gid=1183001540
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ebaIwNlMZWVG31b2BOLHpd5qpOK033J1mCLMZv0s7fE/edit#
Watched it live. Good first round. Some strong memes (3 shield bypass Pandas fleet, shield bypass Paragon), two new missile massacre builds (the II one maybe setting a record for fastest wipe ever) and two very solid low tech fleets.

Nemo also uploaded to Youtube.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, some nice fleets in the first stream, but also some terrible ones (Shadowyard). I think my fleet will get at least to round 2.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If you are not aware already: Ivaylo, former member of the dev team and original writer for the game, has fallen ill and is in dire need of financial help with their medical expenses.

A Gofundme has been setup to try and raise some donations so if you can spare a buck or can share the word, head to
https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1359209413714845700
And follow the link.

Ironmonk

Augur
Sorry for being a dick, but... if they had launched this on steam already, maybe they wouldn't have money problems now.

I don't understand their reluctance... but maybe by the time they finally decide to launch it on steam, it will be too late, with people already tired of the dozens similar games already launched and/or a eventual better competitor.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmmm recently i played Starcom Nexus and had quite a lot of fun with it. It is like a star trek voyage,i do believe that if you like star sector you will like this one too. Guys,you should check it out and see if you like it.

https://af.gog.com/game/starcomnexus?as=1649904300

Cool game Comrade I played it to finale, sadly as space combat goes it stops to be challenging at one third of game and also some quests solutions are really convoluted, you would think that space cruiser ship navigation cogitator would be able to give you clue which pink planet in red star system you need to see, still it was very fun to play little game with very cool modular ship design, highly recommended by Commissar.

:incline:

Last edited by a moderator:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmmm recently i played Starcom Nexus and had quite a lot of fun with it. It is like a star trek voyage,i do believe that if you like star sector you will like this one too. Guys,you should check it out and see if you like it.

https://af.gog.com/game/starcomnexus?as=1649904300

Cool game Comrade I played it to finale, sadly as space combat goes it stops to be challenging at one third of game and also some quests solutions are really convoluted, you would think that space cruiser ship navigation cogitator would be able to give you clue which pink planet in red star system you need to see, still it was very fun to play little game with very cool modular ship design, highly recommended by Commissar.

:incline:
Yeah,the game does have some stupid thing for sure. The combat is pretty fun and have solid system,but as you aid it becomes too easy after you get a few good techs. But generally it is pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
The changelog is a thousand lines long, literally. This guy develops like I do - start to do work on some major feature and do fifty thousand small fixes and improvements along the way until the diff encompasses half the codebase. Not really a good practice in case you're wondering.

I mostly burned out on the game a while ago but I guess I'll give it a spin when/if the major mods are updated. I checked and Cycerin commented on the release thread today so there's hope that Blackrock will survive.

cw8

Cipher
Story missions and endgame enemies with unlockable tech, weapons and ships?? Wow! They know how to read our minds on what we want! Time to give it another spin

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
I just come here to say that Update make me really happy but also that new skill system is real cancer.
Terrible exercise of NO FUN ALLOWED.

Black

Arcane
I just come here to say that Update make me really happy but also that new skill system is real cancer.
If it's only about how many points you have, you can up max level in settings.json

MartinK

Learned
It’s strange that this game only becomes playable if you fiddle with the settings (allways increase the maximum zoom in combat, double the max deployment points and set max fleet size for both PC and NPCs to something more sensible than 30). I think the values are low cus the game was (is?) poorly optimized and would not run smoothly on average PC back in the day of its first release.

panda

Savant
Yeah, old system was more flexible. Idk why he didn't implement "elite" manamegent skills for story points. Pretty obvious and would instantly solve half of the issues.

I like all other changes(especially nu :shredder: Tempests) though.

Trithne

Erudite
If it's only about how many points you have, you can up max level in settings.json
How to get mutually inexclusive skills together?

Once you get to the end of a line you can wrap around and get the other skill in each tier.

i don't know what's changed, but it was cancer already. at best one third of the skills were useful. even fewer were used.

have not played this in a long time, was sort of disappointed in it really, the combat was way too action oriented for me, I could not tell WTF was happening or give tactical orders to my ships, it jsut felt like a clusterfuck

I know..get gud

instead I just stopped playing, maybe I should give it another go and put more effort into it..

Üstad

Arcane
How to get mutually inexclusive skills together?

Once you get to the end of a line you can wrap around and get the other skill in each tier.
Thanks, is there any way to get higher leveled officers, the max level thing seems pretty random to me.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Thanks, is there any way to get higher leveled officers, the max level thing seems pretty random to me.
starsector-core\data\config\settings.json -> officerMaxLevel
You can configure pretty much any numeric constant in the game there.

LizardWizard

Cipher
Sounds like update made the game worse

Everyone on the official forums clamoring for 91.a features. This game will never wil be finished before the developer dies so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Free choice of skills(no more tiers or choose 1 from 2). Might be little to strong but its up to player if he need crutches or want to abuse it.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=20495.msg313210#msg313210
EMrNJCQ.png

d0GjttB.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom