Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Steam Next Fest, June 2023: Demos of upcoming RPGs available from June 19th to 26th

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Back to the Dawn; Broken Roads; Cyber Knights: Flashpoint; Drop Bear Bytes; Dungeon Dungeon!; Islands of the Caliph; Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees; Magnum Scriptum; Metal Head Games; Mitzi Games; Phantasmica Studios; Quasimorph; Schmidt Workshops; Silver Lemur Games; Space Cats Tactics; Steam Next Fest; Tenebris: Terra Incognita; Trese Brothers

There aren't that many truly notable RPG demos available in this year's June edition of Steam Next Fest. However, there are a few titles here that we've been keeping our eye for a while on which are participating for the first time. These include the Australia-based post-apocalyptic RPG Broken Roads, the Trese Brothers' cyberpunk tactical RPG Cyber Knights: Flashpoint and the Might & Magic-like sequel Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees, all of which are launching this year. Here's the full list:

As usual, various developer livestreams are scheduled over the course of the event, which will run until June 26th. Post your impressions here!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Another RPG-lite worth looking at is Back to the Dawn. You play as a newly incarcerated prisoner who is trying to break out. There's a schedule to follow (chow time, recreation, work) so you must balance your activities while trying to make the most of your time to complete objectives. Despite the anthropomorphic aesthetics, I like it a lot.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
you saw a dime a dozen chink 'deck builder' and decided it's of mild interest
Poles ale obsessive nationalist. Even anime game with tiddies must be based on nationalist, pseudohistorical novel.

Merci mon Dieu, je suis français. Our novels are always about France and our anime games with tiddies are based on nationalist, pseudohistorical vision of French history.

Edit: Maxie, you silly doggy!

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Poles ale obsessive nationalist. Even anime game with tiddies must be based on nationalist, pseudohistorical novel.

Merci mon Dieu, je suis français. Our novels are always about France and our anime games with tiddies are based on nationalist, pseudohistorical vision of French history.

Why do you French need that when nearly all contemporary fantasy is basically various versions of not-France as its baseline and ethos in French tales and stories? This is true especially for "European fantasy" media coming out of Japan and Eurojank studios.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Why do you French need that when nearly all contemporary fantasy is basically various versions of not-France as its baseline and ethos in French tales and stories? This is true especially for "European fantasy" media coming out of Japan and Eurojank studios.

"France" means "Europe". French though is universal. French culture is humanistic. From France comes taste and reason.

Turkey...no likely.

FreeKaner

"France" means "Europe". French though is universal. French culture is humanistic. From France comes taste and reason.

Turkey...no likely.

That's wrong but it also has nothing to do with what I said. A Pole might seek a game representing Poland in some way because it is not common to see it in media, a French doing the same is tasteless because most of fantasy media is already derivative of "French medieval" like DND or JRPGs, except the good ones like LOTR and Warhammer.

MerchantKing

Learned

Turkey...no likely.
Nah. Humanism is a renaissance wop invention. French bread is just Italian bread with more pomp.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Tried a bunch of stuff, but most felt very derivative or had absolutely horrendous controls. The highlight of the demo fest was : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696440/The_Matchless_Kungfu/

It's basically Wuxia Kenshi, but instead of starting with a massive open world, you build one yourself: every quest you finish lets you expand the world with one more "tile", adding stuff like a snow mountain full of monkeys, a martial arts sect, a mountain full of bandits, a city, a clinic, etc. Cool stuff, the system is there, it just needs more variety and more depth.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Tried a bunch of stuff, but most felt very derivative or had absolutely horrendous controls. The highlight of the demo fest was : https://store.steampowered.com/app/1696440/The_Matchless_Kungfu/

It's basically Wuxia Kenshi, but instead of starting with a massive open world, you build one yourself: every quest you finish lets you expand the world with one more "tile", adding stuff like a snow mountain full of monkeys, a martial arts sect, a mountain full of bandits, a city, a clinic, etc. Cool stuff, the system is there, it just needs more variety and more depth.
So basically a Wuxia Kenshi with Above Snakes world tiles derivative.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
That's I said - Poland is local, peripheral. France is a world. Even our nationalism is global.

A world in fantasy novels and games, yes. Perhaps also in Africa.

Turkey...no likely.
Nah. Humanism is a renaissance wop invention. French bread is just Italian bread with more pomp.

Les Français created and dominated literature. And all arts come from literature. We are simply great. Ha ha ha ha!

La vie sexuelle

Learned

FreeKaner

Les Français created and dominated literature. And all arts come from literature. We are simply great. Ha ha ha ha!

Do you actually believe this or is it pretend arrogance? If latter I approve it is very in character, if former please read some books.

I say this way - I chose Hugo insted Panuk every day.

Victor Hugo is great, he is also from 19th century. A bit late to have created literature don't you think? I would also consider Proust and Domas much better than Hugo personally.

Reina

Arcane

More likely is that the novel was used by devs to mooch that sweet government monies ("promotion of Poland"). Because aside from a few names and setting, the game looks like cookie cutter waifu gatcha crap, the names of characters do not fit the region at all.

EDIT: Wait, this game is made by Chinese. Wat. Wat?

MerchantKing

Learned
That's I said - Poland is local, peripheral. France is a world. Even our nationalism is global.

A world in fantasy novels and games, yes. Perhaps also in Africa.

Turkey...no likely.

The renaissance wops beat the froggies to both art and literature. The germs beat them to music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom